Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen02481

Rust Question

karen02481
16 years ago

Hi All--

I have been a daylily fan for years...and with a nursery which specializes in daylilies I thought I had a pretty good collection...but I have many, many more that I have to have from all of your pictures...so thanks!!

Now my question... I also had never heard of rust before reading here either. From reading here I think I understand that rust won't survive the winter in Massachusetts (assuming that global warming doesn't change my zone this winter)...is that right?

...and I've looked at some of the websites others on this forum have mentioned, and many are in the south. Do I need to worry about buying plants and rust at this time of year given that I am (sadly) getting close to fall?

Sorry there are so many questions...and Thanks in advance!!

--Karen

Comments (6)

• jakejones
    16 years ago

If you are on the Cape you MIGHT be zone 7 and there MIGHT be a possibility of it surviving. Overall, winter around here kills it. I have never had it, but others have and winter worked. Some of my green foliage persists -- I wouldn't want to be the first garden to have it survive a warm winter. (Zone 7b).

Nevertheless, many people buy from the South but keep those ones in a separate area and some spray.

• shive
    16 years ago

If you are planting outside and not putting them in a greenhouse for winter, then the cold temps should kill the rust spores over winter - even on green foliage - in a normal winter. But with global warming, who knows what the future holds.

Debra

• jackarias
    16 years ago

From reading here I think I understand that rust won't survive the winter in Massachusetts (assuming that global warming doesn't change my zone this winter)...is that right?

Global warming is only a problem with liberals however since you live in MA it will probably affect your state first unless Mit Romney finds a way to tax global warming and thus stop its growth through taxation.

We are protected from global warming, but not global whining, here in California through our liberal policies towards global warming.

Rust in MA is not a problem yet. For rust to live the spores must find a viable host within a few weeks so if the cold kills the foliage and there is not new healthy foliage available for a couple of months all is gone. Also for rust to take hold the foliage must remain moist for 4-5 hours so hot dry areas do not have a problem with rust.

If you get a plant with rust on it and plant it outside the rust will not overwinter.

• bambi_too
    16 years ago

Just don't buy any plants from the south in the spring or summer, and you will be fine. Plan those purchases for fall. It only took 1 plant from Mississippi in mid April to bring it here.

• karen02481
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok...thanks!! I'm not on the cape, I'm in the metrowest area just outside Boston, so it sounds like I can order away, plant outside in my garden and not worry about rust.

As for global warming, I didn't mean to start a political debate. I know better than to get into those types of discussions with folks I've never met....

• bambi_too
    16 years ago

There is no Global Warming, just cycles. If you look back you will see a reoccuring theme.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor