Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitcatclub2

'Carved' Daylilies

kitcatclub
17 years ago

Hi, all!

I recently won an auction on the LA for Beyond Riches. I've fallen in love with the 'carved' look to daylily flowers. Unfortunately, I'm not having a lot of luck locating others. Can anybody direct me to specific daylilies or even a breeder that works with them?

I found one breeder, Bob Carr, who seems to have an interest in this form, but I can't afford new cultivars yet (I'm a recovering rose-a-holic . . . umm, OK, maybe not yet recovered . . . uh, or even trying real hard). Killarney Castle and Permanent Impression are good examples of the look I like (see Bob's webpage).

Thanks for any advice!!

KCC

Here is a link that might be useful: Bob Carr's Daylilies

Comments (32)

• ladylovingdove
    17 years ago

I saw another one by Petit "Carved Initials", a new intro,,and one by Carpenter called "Song of the South", also new this year,,also "Carved in Stone" and "Bas Relief" that are a bit older,,the one I like best and wanted was "Song of the Empire" by Carpenter,,I think this is a new trait in lilies so you are talking pricey,,Tom Maddox has a seedling on his website that is heavily carved but is not named as far as I know,,I like them too,,

Dot in Texas

• kitcatclub
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I loved Song of the Empire!

Corbett has a Song of the South, too, but it's not carved (very pretty, tho). He does have a nicely carved one named Bonnie Holley, but $225 is usually my entire budget, LOL, so I might wait a few years!

These are definitely on my wish list. I felt pretty lucky to get Beyond Riches for $11. I hope it is fertile; I'd like to try my hand at breeding next year. Thanks for the info!

Here is a link that might be useful: Daylily Bonnie Holley

• ladylovingdove
    17 years ago

I forgot about Bonnie Holley but look for it on the Lilyauction it closed there for 110.00 to 133.00 for a single fan,

Dot

• flower_lover5
    17 years ago

Hi KCC,

I did a search, and here's what I came up with in addition to the ones named above
    (I'm sure there are more!!):

Carved Pumpkin Pie (Salter 2003)
    Concrete Empire (Salter 2001)
    Empire Queen (Carpenter 2003)
    Empire Returns (Salter 2001)
    Exotic Empire (Salter 2003)
    Mainstreet Lights (Salter 2003)
    Mother Dearest (Connell 2003)
    Pancake Platypus (Baxter 2002)
    Sculpted Treasure (Carpenter 2005)
    Sculptured Corduroy (Carpenter 2002)
    Set The Style (Salter 2000)

Tammy

• ladylovingdove
    17 years ago

wow thanks Tammy,,I found Empire Returns and bid on it,,I remember seeing Carved Pumpkin Pie and loving it,,

Dot

• kitcatclub
    Original Author
    17 years ago

$110 to $130???

((gibbering))

;)

Nice list, Tammy, thanks - I'll have to check these out. This does seem to be a NEW trend in daylilies, kind of like the heavy, bubbly ruffles were 10 or 15 years ago. I love the names - Pancake Platypus is awesome!

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

I can't seem to get Freddie Kruger's face out of my mind...

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

sorry about that...what I meant by that was...some of those sculptured ones have the distinct carving of ridges in the petals, and others seem to have that '3rd-degree-burned-skin' look to them in spots. Like this Song of the Empire:

{{gwi:918907}}

• kitcatclub
    Original Author
    17 years ago

THAT'S a lovely mental image - Freddie's face staring out at you from a daylily flower! Nightmare on Hem Street!

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

KCC -- I love the sculpted look, too. I added EMPIRE STRIKES BACK this year for about $10.

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

I know some of the newer varieties have heavier sculpting, but I thought this one was beautiful.

Chris

• hoe_hoe_hoe
    17 years ago

Wow! I never even new such a trait existed. Hope I find some dips like that eventually.

• numama
    17 years ago

I am also liking the carved daylilies. I have Carved Initials coming this fall. The only other one I have is this one I rec'd earlier this season. I got to see two blooms from it.....Nancy
    EMPIRE RETURNS

• asa111
    17 years ago

where can i find a picture of "concrete empire"? description sounds great but that name,what was he thinking?

• kitcatclub
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Patrick Guidry has a shot on his website. Not the greatest quality pic. I don't think I like the DL much, either. Give me Carved Initials - wow!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    17 years ago

An older daylily that has a somewhat carved appearance is Coral Corduroy. The word Corduroy is a good word for that appearance I think. I didn't get a good picture of mine but the one on Tinkers, though fuzzy, gives you the general idea. It's a pretty daylily and affordable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coral Corduroy

• kitcatclub
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've become absolutely fascinated by this trait. What's weird to me is some of the DLs used as parents don't seem to be overly wrinkled/carved. SHERRY LANE CARR and AMERICA'S MOST WANTED are used in breeding this look a lot, but neither of them, from the pics I've seen, is very high on the carve-o-meter.

I was looking at some of the Pickles intros and one really stood out - Groovy Guy (scroll down on link).

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickles' Groovy Guy

• sue9norcal
    17 years ago

Corbett's SHELTER COVE shows some carving, it is out of AMERICA'S MOST WANTED so it does seem it passes on that trait.
    {{gwi:918922}}

• kitcatclub
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah, that's what is so neat! Who knows what other little genetic surprises are lurking? I saw a daylily not long ago on the LA that had SPOTS! That will be a fun trait to play with.

• dayliliesrus
    17 years ago

I have America's Most Wanted and Sherry Lane Carr and there are times they look sculpted. If you look far enough back, you will also see Chestnut Mountain which I also have and I think that look originated with it. Chestnut Mtn was used extensively by breeders. Tinkers shows 30 kids from CM alone. Enchanted Autumn's picture on there shows sculpting.

• lilypatch
    17 years ago

I grew Ted Petit's CARVED INITIALS this season and the blooms were fantastic. It had the deepest sculpting of any bloom I have seen. It just finished blooming here in middle Tn.

• maine_lily
    17 years ago

I have a polka dot one I have yet to see sent to me from mariettas as a bonus-does anuy one have marittas polkadot???

• kitcatclub
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I haven't seen the one from Marietta's. The striped ones I've seen were bred by a gentleman named Mike Derrow. He has sold a few on the LA - I'll definitely be watching for him next season!

Lilypatch, I'm so jealous! Were the colors as intense as the breeder's picture?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:918905}}

• lilypatch
    17 years ago

kitcat, The first blooms on CARVED INITIALS were very close to Ted's picture. It only bloomed very late for me and some of the later blooms were not as nice color-wise maybe due to a few real cool mornings. If I can figure out how to get a picture on this forum, I'll post it.

• kitcatclub
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That would be great, LP! I'm looking into the parents of the sculpted DLs - I figure, if I can't afford the newest ones yet, I can have fun creating my own till the prices come down a bit.

• flower_lover5
    17 years ago

lilypatch,
    I'll try to explain (the abridged version) how to post pics, so bear with me.
    First you must have your pictured hosted (uploaded) to a photo website like Photobucket.
    After your picture is uploaded to Photobucket, all you do is copy the TAG line (this will be the second line of html underneath your picture in Photobucket) and paste it into your post.
    It will look something like this:

If you need more help, don't hesitate to ask :)
    Tammy

• flower_lover5
    17 years ago

Ooops - the Photobucket link doesn't work..........it's www.photobucket.com

• lilypatch
    17 years ago

Tammy, Thanks for the instructions. My problem is my pictures are too big and I've got to get some time to re-size some and post to Photobucket....set up an account today. Stay tuned fiends, I've got some pretty good ones!

• lilypatch
    17 years ago

OK, here is a picture of CARVED INITIALS as it bloomed for me late this season. This bloom was almost 7"

• maine_lily
    17 years ago

WOW!!!!!!!! That one is a keeper!!!!!! what price range are we talking for one of those Carved daylilys??????THey are new to the daylily world,have I got that right???

• newyorkrita
    16 years ago

These must be very unique as I haven't seen many pictures of daylilies with this trait.

• fairysoapgirl
    16 years ago

These 'carved' DL are very interesting... thanks for the pictures!

• veronagardener
    15 years ago

Tiffany Gold is an older Munson that is very creped and ruffled and it can be purchased for a resonable price.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus