Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_barginear

Replications: How Do I Get Them To Grow?

Nancy Barginear
16 years ago

I have a few naturally occurring replications, and quite a few produced from using BAP-10. I have put them in water and hovered over them, but was unable to get them to produce roots. I finally gave up and threw the first bunch away.

I have more now, and I stuck them in a pot with good soil. I'm keeping them watered, but I noticed this morning on the very best one I had, the leaves are turning a little yellow. I am thoroughly confused as to how to get these to grow. What is the magic answer for getting them started?

Thanks.

Comments (20)

• okbt
    16 years ago

Here is all you need to know.I suspect that you need to set pods so they can stay on the scape longer.Mine start roots on the scape.I leave them as long as possible,then dip in Rootone before planting.

Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: Tinker's Proliferations

• ladylovingdove
    16 years ago

I put mine in glasses with water in them. You leave some of the scape to anchor it in the glass then fill til it touches the base of the prolif. and yes the leaves will yellow for awhile. Now it can take a couple of weeks for them to make roots and you have to change the water every day. Good luck.

Dot

• petalpatsy
    16 years ago

I have one proliferation that came on a scape left on a bare root shipment from California. It was cut about two inches above the proliferation. I'd read I had to get it off before the brown got down to the prolif. I was too overwhelmed with new orders, soaking, trimming, digging, planting, potting, watering, not watering, to deal with it. Now, I find the browning has stopped, for four days, at the green prolif.

Am I in a grace period before it continues to die back?

I don't know if a pod was set above it, but would that cause some 'signal' or development in the scape to keep things going even after the pod was cut?

Is this a ridiculous question about inane trivia? I can't tell anymore....

• Ed
    16 years ago

petalpatsy,
    As long as there is green below the proliferation, it's receiving nutrients. When the scape below the prolif starts to turn brown, all the way around the scape, it's time to remove it.
    Ed

• Ed
    16 years ago

najoba,
    What procedure are you using with the BAP-10 to produce proliferations, or replications as you call them?
    Ed

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ed, I made a 1:28 solution (BAP-10:water) every day, and deposited the solution in the bracts of the scapes. I wasn't sure if I should have continued to apply the BAP-10 after the proliferation began to appear or not.

I tried getting some of the proliferations to grow roots by keeping them in water, as was suggested by ladylovingdove. I changed the water every day, and some of them showed signs of top growth, but never any root development. I finally gave up and threw them away.

I will try the Rootone. That may be the answer.

• Ed
    16 years ago

Once the prolif starts, I don't think you need to apply any more BAP-10.

I have rooted proliferations in water, but in late summer it is so hot that the water sours so fast and the prolif then rots on you.

Here is how I start them in potting mix.

1. Try to cut them off before the scape goes completely brown.

2. Trim back the foliage, about like you do when shipping something bare-root.

3. Cut the scape off 1/2 inch or so above the prolif.

4. Cut the scape at a small angle about 3 inches below the prolif, so the bottom of the scape is a sharp chisel point

5. I use pro-mix; 2 parts to 1 part pine fines for starting mix. But anything with about 50% peat should do okay. I add 1 tablespoon of Nutricoat Total fertilizer/gallon mix. Mix should be slightly moist when ready to use.

6. Put some coarse stuff in the bottom of the pot, chopped up leaves, pine cones, branches, just so all the mix doesn't pour out the bottom holes and fill with mix. Pack it down a little and with a dibble, pencil or chopstick, make a hole for the scape. Gauge the angle needed to make the prolif set up straight.

7. Put some Rootone, rooting hormone on the bottom of the scape, carefully put it down in the hole and with the dibble, pencil or other, firm mix around the scape good. Then press the mix a little with your fingers to settle everything. The prolif should set just below soil level.

8. Water in good and set the plant in the shade for about 3-5 days. Don't water again during this period. After 3-5 days, move to morning sunlight. You should see new growth from the middle of the fan by this time. Water as needed. After a couple of weeks, you can move to full sun if it's not in the middle of summer!

Hope this helps,
    Ed

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Ed, for taking the time to give me detailed instructions, which I will keep for future reference. For those proliferations that I just planted yesterday in a pot, do you think it is too late to remove them, and do as you suggested?

• Ed
    16 years ago

I don't think it would hurt them much, as long as they have been kept moist and you don't let them dry out before re-potting.
    Ed

• jean_ar
    16 years ago

I found 3 of these little plants on the side of the scapes.One of them was on my Strawberry candy and really want thi sone to root and grow.I didn't put mine in water to try and grow roots,as I have never had any luck rooting anything in water.If I get roots on something,it dies when I plant it,so thought I would just plant these to start with.I filled a 4 inch pot for each one and firmed it down,and had left about 2 inches of the scapes on them.I just pushed them down in the soil and firmed the soil around them,then watered with some root stimulator and have them in a shady spot.They looking real good,so far.Wish I had known about the rootone first,and i would have dipped them in that first.Hope the one off of Strawberry candy makes it..

Jean

• carmen_grower_2007
    16 years ago

I don't know about the Bap 10 ones, but regular prolifs are so easy. I just cut the scape a few inches below the growth, stick it in a pot of potting soil and keep it moist. (I don't use rootone) If it is going to root, it will whether or not you start it first in water. The roots forming in soil will always be stronger than those forming in water.

They even root when the scape dies before the prolif is very big at all.

• petalpatsy
    16 years ago

Thank you Ed for such detailed instructions! Thanks carmen grower for the happy news that small prolifs may root too! I suppose my one adopted baby is best left on scape for as long as possible, but I do look at it a couple times a day, just to say "D***, it' hot."

• esudina
    16 years ago

Hello guys:
    Help please!!! I'm trying to get my hands on some BAP-10; can anyone tell me where I can buy some? Thanks in advance. You can send me a reply privately if you wish.
    Regards,
    Luis

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You can order it from:

Indiana Bob, P.O. Box 379, Westville, Indiana zip 46391

Here is a link that might be useful: Proliferations

• joann95118
    16 years ago

I have never used any of the helpers that are mentioned and mine never started roots while on the plant. I just cut them off with about 2 inches of green scape above and below the proliteration and put it directly in a pot of planting soil. Do not over water and ignore the yellowing leaves. In fact I usually cut back the leaves if they are very long. About 4" is perfect. I don't think that I have ever lost a proliferation or maybe one the fist time I tried. They are tough and want to live. Last year there were four proliferations on Villa Del Sol when it arrived in the mail. Cut them off and potted them up and they were blooming in less than a year.

Porliferations are the poor mans new plants and freebies are always nice.

JoAnn

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    16 years ago

As a follow-up, my nine proliferations are all looking really great, but those that developed naturally without the assistance of BAP-10 are really taking off. Of course, I think I started too late with the BAP-10 (July), so next spring I'll start early. The Rootone should help, too.

Nancy

• phaltyme21
    16 years ago

I need help getting the prolifs to grow also. I have 2 large ones on CANTIQUE but no roots. I also have a couple of fairly large ones on PUMPKIN KID - no roots.

Our weather is just turning colder, like 42 degrees during the day, a bit colder at night. During the winter, we will get very cold (below freezing, and worse). Should I remove the prolifs, dip them in Rootone and put in water and hope?

These prolifs wouldn't survive after the scape browns off, would they?

I will appreciate any suggestions.

Kay

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I didn't have much luck putting the proliferations in water. Starting from the top of this thread, scroll down 8 posts. Ed has given very good instructions that I followed with good results. Since winter is around the corner, I'd keep them in pots in a place where they would not freeze.

I didn't have any roots on the ones that grew naturally, but following Ed's directions, they all rooted.

Good luck!

Nancy

• cbrandenburg
    16 years ago

I used a product called Messenger on my prolifs. I had several that were not making roots while still on the stem so I decided to spray my messenger on the prolifs and they started growing small roots while still on the plant. I gave a few of them to another gardenweb person and she said they are growing nice. I hope they make it for her, one of them was Big Ross, can't remember the others.

• phaltyme21
    16 years ago

Thanks all for the help I needed. I think Ed's instructions for using planting mix to start the prolifs sounds like a winner. I certainly hope mine haven't stayed outdoors too long.

I will get them set up tomorrow.

Kay