Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avedon_gw

Four Years--Not Worth The Wait

avedon_gw
11 years ago

Over The Top has been planted in our garden for four years. It is a double, at least it is supposed to be. We have had a few blooms, which were not good--I'm being kind--but this year it put up two scapes which seem to be a good size, so I was hoping that finally we would see a good double. Well, here it is, and it's not a double, and not much of anything to me. Unless we can get some reasonably decent blooms on these two scapes, it is time to give up and toss it. Avedon

{{gwi:920489}}

Over The Top--I can't find a good word for this. Major disappointment for sure, when I don't even think it is a good single, let alone the double it is supposed to be. Avedon

Comments (10)

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

hmmm, I had to go and look it up on the database and I can't even imagine it is the same one however when I googled it I see on Daves Garden site there are pics of it not doubling just like yours. I see that it is registered as only doubling 70% of the time.

Four years is a long time so I think your wise to just move it out and plant something else that will double.

Julia

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Oh my. I am for tossing dissapointments. There are too many good daylilies out there to put up with bad ones.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I'm the world's worst at keeping disappointments, but I agree, not much compensation for such a long wait.

• flowergirl70ks
    11 years ago

I once waited 7 years for a lilac to bloom and it was the WRONG ONE!!! They offered to replace it.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

I would probably plant it in some other place and just forget about it, not in my daylily beds.then maybe one day it might look like some thing:) dont look so good now, does it.

Jean

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

For reasons I won't go into, it has taken me 4 years to get Shores of Time to bloom. Finally this year the 2 clumps I had of it sent up multiple scapes and I was holding my breath waiting to see for the first time the daylily everyone said was the truest pink you could get. Well, its a nice pink for sure, but that pretty pink bloom clashed with the orange rust pustules that sprang up all over the leaves. I was so ticked after a 4 year wait, that I immediately pitched one clump and have the 2nd one close to the dumpster if the rust explodes again. So here's my sympathy to you. After waiting all those years you are a good person not to just pitch the thing immediately in frustration....Maryl

• avedon_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your comments. My plan is to donate it to the Master Gardeners plant sale next spring. They will put a cheap price on it and it will sell. The biggest problem is DH, who can barely stand to get rid of anything if it is alive. I wouldn't be surprised if next year, this dl is still here, but in a different place---LOL. Avedon

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Interesting to learn that someone else had to wait a long time for Shores of Time. This is the kind of information I wish more people would share.

• sophies
    11 years ago

I don't have Over The Top but I do have Shores Of Time and I absolutely love it. It has been a strong grower and blooms profusely and has very nice large very pink blooms. It is still blooming for me now. I always recommend this daylily to friends.

• tepelus
    11 years ago

Mine sometimes doubles, but more than not it doesn't, and the color isn't really the prettiest. I guess that may be why I don't have many pictures of it.

A picture from 2010 of it doubling

Picture from last year, what it typically looks like

{{gwi:658895}}

I don't have pictures of it from this year, I didn't take many pictures this year of my flowers at all and all around haven't been interested in my gardens. Many are a weedy mess.

Karen