Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizellie_gw

Motes Baby info1

mizellie
10 years ago

Motes are dredges from cotton that is sent to the Gin. They are really good for daylilies and so I buy them by the truckload. I had a spot where they had been and planted some seeds there. Then along came dh and cut with the mower, getting 99% of my labels. This seedling bloomed there last year for the first time. Here is a photo from this year! Ellie

Comments (10)

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Wow, it's a beauty, very distinctive! How big is the flower?

And, will you be posting your flowers by alphabet like last year? :)

• flora2b
    10 years ago

That's gorgeous...love the large applique.
    I have a husband that likes to mow markers and plants........you must have been furious.
    Flora

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

Ellie, that is a gorgeous seedling. Looks like my husband isn't the only one who mows down daylilies.
    Val

• mizellie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nat4b, in a few days I will start my alphabet series. Hahaha! but, until Monday, I will still have folks here! Also, it's hard to sit right now since I am having severe back pain. The only thing I can do is stand and lie down with support for my back. I pulled something, I think. The bloom is around 6.5 " when opened like this one is.

Flora, I didn't know until about 2 weeks later. Also, I had about 50 seedlings in pots a couple of years ago with all marked. My grandchildren came to visit and removed all the markers which is why I have so many unknowns.

Val, that isn't all he cuts up. He got some of my Clematis this year..all the way to the ground. I had a guard around
    them too!!

Thanks for your response to my post! Ellie

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Ellie, that seedling is gorgeous! Good for the motes - I'm sure they had something to do with that beauty! Love the pattern on it. I have a DH who likes to use the tiller. I don't know how many plants I've lost. His latest stunt was to cut down a 5' clematis this summer. It still hasn't come back but I keep watering and hoping that it is building better roots for next year. I guess I have to put guards around everything! Marg

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Ellie, I absolutely love that seedling! It is a beauty. I have a mad mower at my house too. Dingbat has one of the zero-radias mowers that i suppose to make it easy to cut close but now in things. Wrong! Took off an entire scape of Filled to Overflowing not to mention tearing hosta leaves.

But cutting down clematis calls for severe punishment...like buying at least two new ones.
    kay

• shive
    10 years ago

Thanks for the explanation of what Motes are. It's great to see a photo of the Motes Baby again. I still love it!

Debra

• dani_plus_2
    10 years ago

Motes baby is a beauty!

I do the lawn mowing and trimming for the most part- I don't want to get upset at him for mowing down stuff. They are just weeds to him!

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Ellie, sorry to hear about your back pain, don't work too hard, and I can certainly wait for your pictures until you get better!
    As for mowing.. I can't do it, it's man's job LOL But we just talked yesterday and DH said our yard is the most difficult yard to mow - curves, daylily leaves and scapes.. I feel sorry for him, but what can I do.. He tries to be very careful, but still several scapes / buds get broken every year.

• mizellie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marg, guards are in place now but I don't plant there anymore. Except, cucumbers! Thanks for the heads up!

Haha Kay. My Clematis came back but not early enough to bloom. BIG guard there now. I really like this seedling too but don't have much in the way of stats yet.

Debra, did you get my e-mail? The motes get better as they get older.

Dani, I know what you mean. My dh thinks flowers are beautiful as long as they cost him no work.

Thank you nat4b. I hate mowing and my dh doesn't mind but when he slaughters something, he tries to hide it...LOL!! The Dr said my problem was muscular. Now, how did that happen???? He thought at first it was shingles but ruled that out! It's get better, a little every day. Thanks for you well wishes!

Thank you all....Ellie