Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Prolifs

organic_kitten
10 years ago

I finally seem to be having good luck with my prolifs I had two on Cosmic Kaleidoscope and one on Wild Thing. All seem to be doing well. Free plants are nice, aren't they?
kay

Comments (12)

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

yes, they are Kay. Very nice.I had a bunch of prolifs last year and tried to root them, but no luck until Ellie told me how she does it,and I tried it and I now have one that rooted and is growing great. it didn't bloom this year, but, Maybe next year it will. I was hoping for a lot of prolifs this year, since I know how to root them now, but, never got a one this year.

jean

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

Maybe this is reckless, but after years of rooting and then sometimes not getting them back to the garden, I started cutting them about 4" or so above and below the scape if there is that much room. Actually, it can be done with less space than that. Then I hold the upper portion of the cut and scoot the base into the ground right where I want it to root, sinking the baby "crown" a half inch or so into the soil. It's amazing how little effort is required to grow these "free daylilies"! Yes, I love them!

I do wait until the prolif is showing some maturity on the scape. The scape above can be dry but there must be some green below, reaching all the way to the baby crown.

• shive
    10 years ago

I do like those prolifs. I've gotten extra plants of Ice Cream Emperor and Wild Red Heart that way. A couple of my seedlings have prolifs that I need to get rooted right away.

Debra

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

Nothing better than free plants. I do pretty much what judyann does. They don't always make it, but it works most of the time and it's easy.
    Val

• Nancy
    10 years ago

I love getting prolifs normally, this year the only ones I've seen are on plants I don't need more. Ain't that the way :)

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I just checked and there are 2 large prolifs, 3-4", on Caught Red Handed. Never had them that big before. Because our growing season is short and prolifs seldom get roots, I always just root them in water and then pot them up and keep them in my sunroom. So far I haven't lost any, keeping my fingers crossed. Marg

• mizellie
    10 years ago

As far as I know, I have no Prolifs. I had tons last year though..Luck to you on growing yours..Ellie

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Haven't checked yet.

Julia

• taurustendency
    10 years ago

i have prolifs on 6 so far. iona sassy sarah, red aurora, lydia jo, wind frills, night embers, and a seedling from the guy who registered the first two. i never use to do anything with them, would get busy with something else and forget all about them. but this is the most ive ever had, with multiples on each, so i cant bring myself to overlook them this year. getting ready to try planting them for the first time. i hope its as easy as it sounds.

• FarawayFarmer
    10 years ago

Plants you "don't need more of?" One can never have enough daylilies!!!

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They all all doing fine, so I am pleased. That's two new Cosmic Kaleidoscopes.

kay

• nat4b
    10 years ago

That's nice!
    No prolifs here this year.