Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coolplantsguy

Your absolute favourite

coolplantsguy
14 years ago

I've been disappointed with my Daylilies this year, in particular 'Happy Returns' and 'Going Bananas', both of which are suppose to be re-bloomers. I understand that re-bloomers need to be divided often, but these have only been planted two, maybe three years.

What is your current absolute favourite Daylily, and why?

I just planted 'Fooled Me' this year, and am hoping for better things.

Thanks.

Comments (8)

• njmomma
    14 years ago

Hmmm, my Happy Returns just started reblooming. I have 3 of them and only one is reblooming now but they all have rebloom scapes and buds on them. I've only had them since last spring though.
    I was going to ask about Going Bananas to see if it's all what it's hyped up to be. I guess not.
    I've only started with daylilies but I already have a couple favorites.

ARCADIA PLANTATION is still blooming and each bloom is perfect. It's new (2 fans) and was loaded with buds. It doesn't bloom itself out quickly though, it's been blooming for over a month usually 2 at a time. Although lesser known, and quite cheap, this daylily does not get the recognition I think it deserves. It's not tall and I know many people like taller ones. I think it's perfection. It never comes out as lovely in pictures though.

BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS is just beautiful and a nice bloomer considering it's also new in my garden. It looks great later in the day when it's fully open. I think it's a favorite of many for good reasons. Just beautiful!

PUMPKIN KID just made my top favs. list. Also new to me, it bloomed over a month and now has a REBLOOM SCAPE with several buds on it, even taller than the original scapes. It's a fast grower and the colors make my neighbors ooh and aahh. :)

LADY LIZ bloomed for over a month and is new to me. She is lovely and makes me very happy.

ELIZABETH SALTER is a unique color of pink/coral and the blooms are so lovely every time. Also a great bloomer just ending yesterday after 5 weeks of blooms in it's first year. I originally didn't care for the color on this one because I didn't know where to put it, but it won me over and now I don't care who it is next to.

INDIAN GIVER is quite recurved where I live. A single fan will bloom well! It is so unique and beautiful and a head turner. Not many daylilies with that coloring.

SEMINOLE WIND is a favorite, but lower on the list. It really performed well for me and always has perfect blooms open flat, but it sometimes fades in the sun.

AUTUMN WOOD - though didn't bloom very long its' first year, it's blooms were perfect and lovely!

• opnjmprs
    14 years ago

It's really hard to chose just one favorite. This year I'd have to say I was most impressed with SENSE OF WONDER, CAROL TODD, CAESAR'S HEAD, KATHERINE MARIN, MIKE THOMPSON.

Linda

SENSE OF WONDER wonderful genetics and I've got some great seedlings from this one

CAESAR'S HEAD always a crowd pleaser with it's big blooms and pretty face and its fertile
    {{gwi:650701}}

MIKE THOMPSON...vigorus/super fertile/fast increaser/profuse bloomer and great pod setter

KATHERINE MARIN one of the best scapes and bud count in the garden. Heavy substance and an awesome color which can look irridescent cherry, but hard to capture in a photo.

CAROL TODD huge bloom, passes on some wonderful traits to it's seedlings, always a visitor favorite, an awesome flower

• kimkats
    14 years ago

My Happy Returns very rarely reblooms. This year with the extra rain I did get 2 small reblloms scapes though. As to my Favorite It has to be Sergeant Major. It's tall, big -11" and hard to ignore in the garden. I'm also partial to Parrot Jungle, Forbidden desires, Startling Creation and Fooled Me.

It's hard to choose there are so many others that I adore too.

Hqappy Gardening :-)

Kim

• Nancy Barginear
    14 years ago

KENT'S FAVORITE TWO is my choice for "absolute favorite."

Here are the reasons:

It is a stand-out in my garden, with blooms well above the foliage.

It knows no season. It begins blooming in the spring, and continues into August.

It does not fade in this hot Texas sun. It may change shades of red slightly during 100+ weather, but it still remains red all day.

It has never been affected by rust, even when surrounded by it.

It is a strong, vigorously growing plant, forming a lovely clump.

It multiplies.

It is fertile both ways.

It is a true, pure red.

Its drawback (to some)? No chicken fat ruffles.

Nancy

• mizellie
    14 years ago

Sorry, Most of mine are absolute favorites. I could not choose just one!!..Ellie

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

APPLE TART is my new fave-purchased last year and it has been blooming for at least 6 weeks, I think more, but don't have my records with me. It has increased, but also don't know if it doubled or maybe more.

It is kind of plain. No fancy frills or thrills here. Just a long blooming, vibrant red that cheers me every time I walk around the corner to see it.

AHS description:
    Apple Tart (HUGHES, 1974)
    height 28", bloom 6", season EM, Rebloom, Dormant, Tetraploid, Dark red self with green throat. (sdlg. X ARRIBA)

June 28th bloom. Don't remember if this was the FFO or not.

August 2nd polytepal (thanks kay-organic kitten for bringing that to my attention) bloom and still has about six blooms left. Either the sun was shining or it was later in the day, because the bloom does look a little duller than the first pic.
    {{gwi:665996}}

Would anyone happen to know anything about the hybridizer, Hughes? I am trying to figure out where all the daylilies that I have were hybridized and can't find anything on this person.

Thanks.

Vickie

• daylily_dreamer
    14 years ago

I can't choose a favorite of all but my favorite blooming TODAY would be Parade of Peacocks.

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

If you get a hundred replies on your post, I am sure you would get a hundred different suggestions. Your in Ontario but I don't know if its closeby but you should really go visit Brian Culver in Toranto. He surely would have what would grow well for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Culver Farm Daylilies