Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

2 FFO and some seedlings

marricgardens
11 years ago

I went out to the garden this morning and both Orchid Corsage and Beauty to Behold were open.

Orchid Corsage was small than it ws last year but it was still nice to see.

{{gwi:924182}}

Beauty to Behold was FFO to.

{{gwi:924184}}

Sunshine City was still putting on a good show.

{{gwi:879057}}

Here are 2 of my near white seedlings. I think I like the first one best.

{{gwi:924187}}

{{gwi:924189}}

Thanks for looking. Marg

Comments (13)

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry for the double post on that one. I posted the first one but when I checked on the forum it wasn't there. Marg

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Orchid Corsage really is a beauty.

• shive
    11 years ago

Your Orchid Corsage is so much more colorful than mine was this year. My poor blooms were bleached out by the high heat. I like both your white seedlings.

Debra

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Debra: it's strange but last summer wasn't quite as hot and the OC flowers were twice as big but little bit lighter in color. Right now it's a lot cooler and the colors of all the daylilies is a bit more intense.
    It's nice to hear good comments about the seedlings.
    One thing I learned when taking pictures was to take your hat off. I usually turn it around but this time I was so focused on taking the picture, I didn't even notice! Marg

• wildbirds
    11 years ago

Marg: - I'm always interested in 'whites' - especially hardy northern grown cultivars. Thus I'm curious about the parentage of your two white seedlings shown PLUS their ages? (Looks to be rapid fan development?)

• wildbirds
    11 years ago

Marg: - I'm always interested in 'whites' - especially hardy northern grown cultivars. Thus I'm curious about the parentage of your two white seedlings shown PLUS their ages? (Looks to be rapid fan development?)

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The parentage is Little Grapette X Swiss Mint. I was actually surprised that I got 3 near whites from a purple pod parent. I'm fairly new to hybridizing but isn't the pod parent usually the one that determines the color? This is the second year for them. The picture with the 3 flowers is the best, IMHO, because it has 12 scapes + 1 rebloom, and 40 buds. I think that is pretty good for the second year? The others only had 2 scapes each with about 6 buds each. Marg

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wildbirds: I just went out to check and the plant is sending up new scapes and the bud count is anywhere from 4-6 per scape. It has only been flowering for about a week and seems to have a long time to go yet. Marg

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Always nice to see blooms. Your post about ORCHID CORSAGE made me think about whether mine is even open and sure enough I don't remember seeing it bloom this year so far.

Julia

• wildbirds
    11 years ago

Marg: - I too am relatively inexperienced with breeding daylilies. I do read a great deal and enjoy researching about the cultivars that interest me. Regarding the specific influence of either the male or female parent I've found several different opinions, but no scientific fact to-date. (There may well be some 'science' behind some of those opinions however.)

Regarding 'white' showing up in your cross there are two points:
    (1) There are a number of breeders who claim that purple shades are able to throw whites. So far I've not found any specific explanations behind that theory, however, I too have a few white F1 seedlings that go back to purple parentage.

(2) Should you want to research the background of Little Grapette, you will find that it has 'Ivory' & 'Cream' genes back in it's ancestry.(Also some of the AHS Registered progeny of LG are white &/or cream or similar).

Mike Huben (Can be found thru Chartlotte's & AHS Region 4 sites) has been breeding for RE whites for several years and has written about his findings and his thoughts/opinions.

Trust this info is of interest.

• polymerous
    11 years ago

Re your white seedlings, the first one may look a bit whiter, but I think that the second one has better symmetry wrt the spacing of the petals. Plus, its funky twisting is kind of cute! ;)

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The first white seedling is on the east side of a gazebo so it gets full sun. The bottom one is on the west side and only gets afternoon sun. The second one is a bit whiter than it appears in the picture. The second seedling pic was also the FFO. It opened again this morning but the flowers weren't quite the same shape and also a bit more translucent. We'll see what next year looks like. Marg

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Orchid Corsage is very pretty, and much darker than mine was this year as well. I like your second seedling, since I tend to like that shape. Very pretty.
    kay