Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Leftover Pics for Sunday.

newyorkrita
11 years ago

Didn't take pictures today so these are leftover pictures from yesterday.

Standing on the porch looking thru the front yard tomatoes too the late bloomers daylily row and then the roses.

{{gwi:924875}}

Around the other side of the porch, if I look down, I see all these tomato plants!

Marigolds blooming in a pot.

I have Four O'Clocks all around the garden.

Closeups

And more Four O Clocks.

Comments (9)

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

I like the idea of FOUR O'CLOCKS. Too bad they are not perennials but still a nice addition to the garden.

No rebloom scapes in your garden? I thought with the early start you had, maybe you would have some going for a second round.

Julia

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The four o'clocks are not perennial but I do have them every year as they reseed.

You would think I would have rebloom what with all this heat and a very early daylily season but it just didn't happen. Even the few I have that usually rebloom have not rebloomed this year.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

GOSH RITA: Your daylilies are finished already?The four o clocks are very pretty, I got some seed, but, never did plant them this year.I just kept having so much problems wiith my body, till I just didnt do it.I use to have my front yard full of 4 o clocks but the hundreds, till I got tired of them taking over my front yard and dug them up and moved them way down back in the back yard.They still bloomed good for several years, then gradually disappeared.

jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, not finished. Just didn't take pictures.

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

I used to grow four-o-clocks too. Some people are unaware that they make tubers that can be dug up in colder areas and stored over the winter. That's how I used to 'recycle' mine from year to year. I stopped growing them because of the japanese beetles. Yours are very pretty and lush and your tomatoes are looking great. I will do a post sometime of my Dad's garden because I think you will appreciate it. He is 89 yrs. and has grown vegetables all his life. I was just there today picking bags full of green beans, sugar-snap peas, summer squash, tomatoes, cukes, lettuce, etc. None of us kids ever have to buy veggies in the summer and his are so delicious. He ends up having so much he gives veggies away just like you do!

Celeste

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Celeste, I do know the Four O'Clocks make tubers but I have never dug and saved them. Mine just reseed in various places around the garden. I do really like four oclocks so I am glad that they reseed.

Tomato season is in full gear here. Honestly, tomatoes have been just fabulous this year. Lots and lots of cucumbers also. My beans that I put in pots I definately plan to have back in ground next year in order to have a much bigger harvest. They do fine in the pots but I know they produce like crazy in ground as I used to grow them. I think I will just save the pots for growing peas. The peas seem to do great in the pots. Peppers were eaten up by slugs this spring, hope to do better next year. And my melons I think I planted too late and am really worried if I have enough time left for the melons to produce.

I am sure I would love your dads garden. And bless him still gardening at 89. You must come from strong stock LOL! Please do take some pics next time you visit :-))

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

Lots of color still. those tomatoes do look so lush.
    The four o'clocks are nice, I have never tried them.
    cindy

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cindy, I have been picking so many ripe tomatoes this year that I could have opened up my own farm stand ha-ha LOL!

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Still have some pretties. And the tomatoes look wonderful.
    kay