Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Your Favorite Oranges

maximus7116
9 years ago

Please list your THREE favorite oranges. I'll do a separate thread for corals/salmons. It's difficult to find a category for every daylily, so we'll include peach in this category.

My three favorites:

DREAMCICLE SUPREME has the most amazingly substantial flowers. The blooms hold up through hot and wet weather, and this year the bud count was very good:

PRIMAL SCREAM is always outstanding, Perfect plant habits and unique bloom:

ORANGE VELVET is a reliable oldie. Lots of blooms, tall and has a long bloom season.

{{gwi:658918}}

Please add yours!

Chris

Comments (31)

• jkayd_il5
    9 years ago

I like your Dreamcicle Supreme. This is a hard one too.

1. Indian Ripple
    2. Heavenly Orange Blaze
    3. Carrick Wildon

Primal Scream would probably be #4.

This post was edited by jkayd_il5 on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 14:02

• FarawayFarmer
    9 years ago

Spacecoast Pumpkin Power always shines across the beds for us.

• proteinqueenfccc
    9 years ago

My favorite oranges:

1. Screamcicle
    2. Fire King, an older late Benz
    3. Clash of Civilizations

Heidi

• FarawayFarmer
    9 years ago

The color on my last image didn't look right. Nor, for that matter, does this one. In reality, the flower is much more orangey.

• lynxe
    9 years ago

PRIMAL SCREAM and SCREAMCICLE have been mentioned. I love those two.

But I'll find some others that I especially like...

OVER HEATED (Grace 2010):
    http://www.daylilydatabase.org/detail.php?id=165126&name=Over Heated

WESTBOURNE A KEG OF DYNAMITE (M.J. Meadows 2011):
    http://westbournelilypatch.com/2012

PUT-IN-BAY (Potter-Holmes 2005):
    http://www.daylilytrader.com/riverbend/PUT_IN_BAY.Htm

• lynxe
    9 years ago

I was going to list this one instead of one of the ones above, but really, it's so very bi-color-y that I don't think of it as orange:

RICHARD HERBERT HAYNES (Haynes

http://www.richardwhaynes.com/RegistrationsIntroductions2.html

The hybridizer and database suggest it's orange, or at least part orange:
    "Glowing orange yellow red blend with yellow shark tooth edge above olive green throat."

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Inca Prince:

Oranges For Christmas:

Alabama Jubilee:

Orange is a favorite of mine, but someone had already listed Primal Scream and Indian Ripple, and since Deliverer and Please Say Yes are as much red as they are orange, I didn't put them up. I had another 8 or 10 favorites I could have chosen bu these are good.

kay

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lots of outstanding oranges here! If I ever make more room I might need to add Screamcicle, SC Pumpkin Power, Carrick Wildon and especially Put-in-Bay. I've visited Put-in-Bay and it would be fun to have a daylily named for that fun island.

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

I don't really like orange, so, cant say what I have is favorites. but, Oktoberfest comes to mind.I do like that one, and Westbourne flickering fireplace.Cant find the pictures right now to post them.

jean

• avedon_gw
    9 years ago

Several we have are already listed, so here is Trickster. It is now putting up a rebloom scape, how great is that!!! Avedon

• Nancy
    9 years ago

Orange velvet & Primal Scream are my favorites. I like Hot Lava too, but lost mine last winter. Or maybe it is lurking somewhere til next year, I hope.

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

ALABAMA JUBILEE
    MAUNA LOA
    DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU (PEACHY MELON)

• gwnichole
    9 years ago

I love Primal Scream, Exotic Design and Mauna Loa. Primal Scream was spectacular this season .

Nichole

• opnjmprs
    9 years ago

Mine are: Primal Scream, Spanish Fiesta, and Heavenly Orange Blaze.

Linda

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    9 years ago

My top three picks are Oktoberfest, Sea of Cinders, and Lava Flow. Here is a picture of Lava Flow.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lots of beautiful oranges I hadn't seen before. Primal Scream seems to be leading the pack in popularity.

• nat4b
    9 years ago

I used to not like oranges, but now I do. Especially love soft oranges and those almost red.
    My favorites are
    Seventy Times Seven (if it could be considered orange) - love the color, I'd call it melon
    Tahlequah Flame - it's late, very bright
    The third one will be my orange noid. I can't go to Photobucket today, maybe post pics later. It's orange orange, with a red eye, it's tall and fragrant. Unfortunately doesn't have a name :( If only named are counted then I like how Russian Temple looks but it's not a good performer here.

Chris, Dreamcicle Supreme is beautiful! But it and Orange Velvet both look yellow on my monitor.

Kay, nice orange bonus with the pic of Inca Prince!

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nat, they do look kind of yellow on my screen. Must be my terrible camera. DS does have a bit of yellow some days, but mostly looks like a creamcicle/dreamcicle bar. Orange Velvet is a pure melon with no yellow.

• celeste/NH
    9 years ago

This is an easy one. My favorite orange of all time is 'SPIRIT FOX'. Here it is growing in the garden....

and up close....

Second favorite is 'SOUTH SEAS'....the color is a blend so not really all orange but it glows in the garden. It is an exceptional bloomer here and is a tremendously vigorous and healthy plant for me.

Third favorite is 'WILD ONE'...which of course is a blend of orange and yellow but how could one not love it's bold coloration?

I would also add that 'Primal Scream' is a an excellent orange as is the general consensus here but another favorite orange of mine that would be a solid contender is one few people know about so I didn't list it. It is a late-bloomer so my pictures of it are still in my camera. It is from Olallie in Vermont, called VT Autumn Fires. This thing is cold-hardy, lateblooming, glowing orange and has great branching, scapes and budcount. I will have to share it soon once I can get it's picture uploaded. In the sun it is magnificent.
    Celeste

• njmomma
    9 years ago

Alabama Jubilee

Tropical Heat Wave

Pure and Simple

Tangible Distiction

Pumpkin Kid

Golden Scroll

• njmomma
    9 years ago

I wanted to add that I did just plant Indian Ripple and I really want Wild One. Also, I have Outrageous but it's not to my liking even though it does really well.

• celeste/NH
    9 years ago

P.S......I know you said top 3 but I have an alternate in case one of the three I listed cannot fulfill it's title...lol. It is 'Flaming Wildfire' and it is really bright. Really lights up the garden!
    Celeste

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Chris my camera just refuses to take a correct color pics of most oranges (melons etc) - makes them washed out sort of beige..

Celeste, Wild One!!! So pretty. I like Alabama Jubilee too.
    What a beautiful garden shot! Sea of daylilies :)

This post was edited by nat4b on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 23:15

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Celeste, that is one amazing photo of Wild One. I may just have to move mine out of the weed garden and give it a better spot!

• Edward_Kimball
    9 years ago

Heavenly Orange Blaze

Tuscawilla Tigress

Dean Corey

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Next to yellow, orange is my favorite daylily color. I try a new orange it seems every year. I grew Spirit Fox last year but it died over our severe winter (in a pot as are most of mine). That is one magnificent garden shot of it Celeste. Flaming Wildfire is already on my list because of you too....Heavenly Orange Blaze is a beauty in person as well as in your photo Edward, and Tuscawilla Tigress bloomed its fool head off for me this year. A good one it seems for both north and south.... I like the form and the mellow cantalope color of Pumpkin Power too. Well, all of them are great and I look forward to more being posted.......Maryl

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Pictures for my list

Seventy Times Seven

Tahlequah Flame

Noid orange

• shive
    9 years ago

INCA PRINCE gets my vote too!

ETHEL BUCCOLA is supposed to be apricot, but I think it goes in this category. Sheer perfection, as far as I'm concerned.

MISS DEMEANOR

Debra

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Two of my very favorites would be South Seas and Primal Scream, already posted. Paige's Pinata is right up there with them and I guess it fits in with orange?!. Twist & Shout and Bittersweet Holiday are nice and bright like Primal Scream; BH is a long bloomer. I put Judge Roy Bean in the mix because it is uniquely designed and named, and has lots of blooms.
    Brad

• gwnichole
    9 years ago

This one's been mentioned but I LOVE it:
    Primal Scream - was spectacular this year!

Second Fav: Exotic Design (picture) - most days looks more orange

3rd: Mauna Loa - also previously mentioned

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful oranges, and many of them are new to me. I tried to grow Paige's Pinata long ago because the bloom is so pretty, but didn't have much luck with her.