Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your Favorite Oranges

Posted by maximus7116 MI (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 13:00

Please list your THREE favorite oranges. I'll do a separate thread for corals/salmons. It's difficult to find a category for every daylily, so we'll include peach in this category.

My three favorites:

DREAMCICLE SUPREME has the most amazingly substantial flowers. The blooms hold up through hot and wet weather, and this year the bud count was very good:

?? Maryott's mix-up photo 013-2.jpg

PRIMAL SCREAM is always outstanding, Perfect plant habits and unique bloom:

photo DSCN1314.jpg

ORANGE VELVET is a reliable oldie. Lots of blooms, tall and has a long bloom season.

Orange Velvet photo 002-5.jpg

Please add yours!

Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your Favorite Oranges

I like your Dreamcicle Supreme. This is a hard one too.

1. Indian Ripple
2. Heavenly Orange Blaze
3. Carrick Wildon

Primal Scream would probably be #4.

This post was edited by jkayd_il5 on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 14:02

o

Spacecoast Pumpkin Power always shines across the beds for us.

o

My favorite oranges:

1. Screamcicle
2. Fire King, an older late Benz
3. Clash of Civilizations

Heidi

o

The color on my last image didn't look right. Nor, for that matter, does this one. In reality, the flower is much more orangey.

o

PRIMAL SCREAM and SCREAMCICLE have been mentioned. I love those two.

But I'll find some others that I especially like...

OVER HEATED (Grace 2010):
http://www.daylilydatabase.org/detail.php?id=165126&name=Over Heated

WESTBOURNE A KEG OF DYNAMITE (M.J. Meadows 2011):
http://westbournelilypatch.com/2012

PUT-IN-BAY (Potter-Holmes 2005):
http://www.daylilytrader.com/riverbend/PUT_IN_BAY.Htm

o

I was going to list this one instead of one of the ones above, but really, it's so very bi-color-y that I don't think of it as orange:

RICHARD HERBERT HAYNES (Haynes

http://www.richardwhaynes.com/RegistrationsIntroductions2.html

The hybridizer and database suggest it's orange, or at least part orange:
"Glowing orange yellow red blend with yellow shark tooth edge above olive green throat."

o

Inca Prince:

Inca Prince  & Gus photo IMG_0903_zps16a0047a.jpg

Oranges For Christmas:

photo IMG_1540_zps6005b4d0.jpg

Alabama Jubilee:

Alabama Jubilee photo IMG_8543_zps9bbcdb06.jpg

Orange is a favorite of mine, but someone had already listed Primal Scream and Indian Ripple, and since Deliverer and Please Say Yes are as much red as they are orange, I didn't put them up. I had another 8 or 10 favorites I could have chosen bu these are good.

kay

o

Lots of outstanding oranges here! If I ever make more room I might need to add Screamcicle, SC Pumpkin Power, Carrick Wildon and especially Put-in-Bay. I've visited Put-in-Bay and it would be fun to have a daylily named for that fun island.

o

I don't really like orange, so, cant say what I have is favorites. but, Oktoberfest comes to mind.I do like that one, and Westbourne flickering fireplace.Cant find the pictures right now to post them.

jean

o

Several we have are already listed, so here is Trickster. It is now putting up a rebloom scape, how great is that!!! Avedon

o

Orange velvet & Primal Scream are my favorites. I like Hot Lava too, but lost mine last winter. Or maybe it is lurking somewhere til next year, I hope.

o

ALABAMA JUBILEE
MAUNA LOA
DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU (PEACHY MELON)

o

I love Primal Scream, Exotic Design and Mauna Loa. Primal Scream was spectacular this season .

Nichole

o

Mine are: Primal Scream, Spanish Fiesta, and Heavenly Orange Blaze.

Linda

o

My top three picks are Oktoberfest, Sea of Cinders, and Lava Flow. Here is a picture of Lava Flow.

o

Lots of beautiful oranges I hadn't seen before. Primal Scream seems to be leading the pack in popularity.

o

I used to not like oranges, but now I do. Especially love soft oranges and those almost red.
My favorites are
Seventy Times Seven (if it could be considered orange) - love the color, I'd call it melon
Tahlequah Flame - it's late, very bright
The third one will be my orange noid. I can't go to Photobucket today, maybe post pics later. It's orange orange, with a red eye, it's tall and fragrant. Unfortunately doesn't have a name :( If only named are counted then I like how Russian Temple looks but it's not a good performer here.

Chris, Dreamcicle Supreme is beautiful! But it and Orange Velvet both look yellow on my monitor.

Kay, nice orange bonus with the pic of Inca Prince!

o

Nat, they do look kind of yellow on my screen. Must be my terrible camera. DS does have a bit of yellow some days, but mostly looks like a creamcicle/dreamcicle bar. Orange Velvet is a pure melon with no yellow.

o

This is an easy one. My favorite orange of all time is 'SPIRIT FOX'. Here it is growing in the garden....
Spirit Fox photo 043_zps2b8640e7.jpg
and up close....
Spirit Fox photo 051_zps986b398b.jpg

Second favorite is 'SOUTH SEAS'....the color is a blend so not really all orange but it glows in the garden. It is an exceptional bloomer here and is a tremendously vigorous and healthy plant for me.
South Seas photo 127_zps39431cff.jpg

Third favorite is 'WILD ONE'...which of course is a blend of orange and yellow but how could one not love it's bold coloration?
Wild One photo 067_zpsc41f130b.jpg

I would also add that 'Primal Scream' is a an excellent orange as is the general consensus here but another favorite orange of mine that would be a solid contender is one few people know about so I didn't list it. It is a late-bloomer so my pictures of it are still in my camera. It is from Olallie in Vermont, called VT Autumn Fires. This thing is cold-hardy, lateblooming, glowing orange and has great branching, scapes and budcount. I will have to share it soon once I can get it's picture uploaded. In the sun it is magnificent.
Celeste

o

Alabama Jubilee
 photo imagejpg10-3.jpg
Tropical Heat Wave
 photo _DSC0082.jpg
Pure and Simple
 photo _DSC0093-2.jpg
Tangible Distiction
Tangible Distinction photo _DSC0011-2.jpg
Pumpkin Kid
Pumpkin Kid photo 024.jpg
Golden Scroll
Golden Scroll photo 018.jpg

o

I wanted to add that I did just plant Indian Ripple and I really want Wild One. Also, I have Outrageous but it's not to my liking even though it does really well.

o

P.S......I know you said top 3 but I have an alternate in case one of the three I listed cannot fulfill it's title...lol. It is 'Flaming Wildfire' and it is really bright. Really lights up the garden!
Celeste
Flaming Wildfire photo 0482_zps986c34df.jpg
 photo 490_zps7bf155bc.jpg

o

Chris my camera just refuses to take a correct color pics of most oranges (melons etc) - makes them washed out sort of beige..

Celeste, Wild One!!! So pretty. I like Alabama Jubilee too.
What a beautiful garden shot! Sea of daylilies :)

This post was edited by nat4b on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 23:15

o

Celeste, that is one amazing photo of Wild One. I may just have to move mine out of the weed garden and give it a better spot!

o

Heavenly Orange Blaze

Heavenly Orange Blaze photo Daylily-HeavenlyOrangeBlaze_zpsf9f80b44.jpg

Tuscawilla Tigress

Tuscawilla Tigress photo Daylily-TuscawillaTigress05.jpg

Dean Corey

Dean Corey photo Daylily-DeanCorey01_zpscb8aca84.jpg

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 14:53

Next to yellow, orange is my favorite daylily color. I try a new orange it seems every year. I grew Spirit Fox last year but it died over our severe winter (in a pot as are most of mine). That is one magnificent garden shot of it Celeste. Flaming Wildfire is already on my list because of you too....Heavenly Orange Blaze is a beauty in person as well as in your photo Edward, and Tuscawilla Tigress bloomed its fool head off for me this year. A good one it seems for both north and south.... I like the form and the mellow cantalope color of Pumpkin Power too. Well, all of them are great and I look forward to more being posted.......Maryl

o

Pictures for my list

Seventy Times Seven

Tahlequah Flame
 photo P7244306_zps48ed0f34.jpg

Noid orange

o

INCA PRINCE gets my vote too!

ETHEL BUCCOLA is supposed to be apricot, but I think it goes in this category. Sheer perfection, as far as I'm concerned.

MISS DEMEANOR

Debra

o

Two of my very favorites would be South Seas and Primal Scream, already posted. Paige's Pinata is right up there with them and I guess it fits in with orange?!. Twist & Shout and Bittersweet Holiday are nice and bright like Primal Scream; BH is a long bloomer. I put Judge Roy Bean in the mix because it is uniquely designed and named, and has lots of blooms.
Brad

o

This one's been mentioned but I LOVE it:
Primal Scream - was spectacular this year!

Second Fav: Exotic Design (picture) - most days looks more orange

3rd: Mauna Loa - also previously mentioned

o

Beautiful oranges, and many of them are new to me. I tried to grow Paige's Pinata long ago because the bloom is so pretty, but didn't have much luck with her.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here