Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Fell Off the Wagon. Just Bought More Daylilies!

newyorkrita
13 years ago

I have been good. Well, pretty good not buying daylilies at least. Went crazy buying iris but thats another story. And bought more spring bulbs the other day (from Scheepers) but thats another story too.

But daylilies I have been pretty good. Oh well, I did buy afew of those Westbournes that have been on the Lily Auction lately (and still are) but nothing new to me. Instead I decided to add some to my very small clumplets of afew already here from this spring. The heat this year was brutal on some of the new ones. My fault for not realizing they needed more attention.

But what prompted this is the order I just placed now for more Olallie late bloomers. I just love those Olallies. And each year they get better and I like them more and more. So I ordered six more-

A RIPE PEACH (VT)

CAMEO APPEARANCE (VT)

FASHIONABLY LATE (VT)

LATE EMBERS (VT)

PURPLE LACE (VT)

SHOWLIGHT (VT)

Don't ask me were I am going to put them :-((

Comments (18)

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One that hasn't been up on the site for two years but I see its up now it BUTTERSCOTCH HARVEST. I really recommend anyone interested in extra lates gets that one. Last year it bloomed well into October for me.

VT BUTTERSCOTCH HARVEST FFO.

Other Olallie's I have are-
    Olallie Mack
    VT Sweet Tart
    VT Late Green Throat
    VT Gala
    Vt Yellow Sights
    Olallie Keith
    VT Type Alpha
    Vt Good N Gold
    Vt Shocker
    VT Fall Pink Mellon
    Vt Butterscotch Harvest
    VT Creamy Yellow
    Vt Home Companion
    VT Wishing Star
    Vt The Last Mellon
    Vt Dimpled Cheeks
    Vt Right Regal
    Vt Bridal Lilac
    VT Maroon Branch
    Olallie All Summer
    Olallie Gold Rim

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I forgot to post the link to Olallie so here it is now-

Here is a link that might be useful: Olallie Daylily Gardens

• Cindy zone 6a
    13 years ago

Hey, thanks for the list. That is very helpful. All I can say is " You Go Girl". I am the same way, I order then try to figure out where to put them. I will have to check these out, your late bloomers are looking so good!!
    cindy

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cindy, the Olallies are the plainest of my late bloomers but many are the latest of my late bloomers. When you go thru the list remember that it translates a month earlier blooming for the rest of us from what they list as start dates. So if they say started mid September it starts mid August here. If I had none I would start just the way I did afew years ago and pick the latest blooming ones they list I could find. So I would pick all Mid September ones to start of I could.

• mizellie
    13 years ago

You are going to be very busy as usual.. Next year your garden will be mouth watering! Ellie

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The UPS man brought the Olallie Daylilies this afternoon. I made up tags for them and planted them right away. The ground is wet from the rains we had so they should settle in very well. They went in the third row of the section in the backyard that is the extended late garden. The one were I dug out the shrubs earlier midsummer.

• mizellie
    13 years ago

There's no cure for this addiction..LOL!!! I bought some too!! Ellie

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am trying to cut back some. And then I go and buy a bunch more. Certainly not helping with the cut back plan
    :-(( Your are so right, there just is no hope for us all.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am bumping this up because Celeste asked me for a list of my Olallie daylilies.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

ooooh Goody! You too.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No Kay, this is an old post bumped up because Celeste needed my list of Olallie Plants. I haven't bought anything this year.

• celeste/NH
    12 years ago

Thank you, Rita for the list. (and Kay...I'm the culprit who has fallen off the wagon...I'm gettin' more daylilies. You would think I have enough already after ordering 60 this spring, but no....I'm going to Olallies in Vermont and Maryott has his specials going now...haha).

Rita, I am particularly fascinated with Olallie Keith. Do you have any photos of it? I like the look of that one.
    The weather is supposed to be hot and sunny Tuesday, so we plan on going to Olallies on our motorcycle...wonder how many DL I can fit in the saddlebags? Have you ever gone there to visit? I did go on their website but I probably
    will make a decision once I see the lilies in person. I will take your list with me and see if any of those are available. Thanks again!
    Celeste

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Celeste- OLLALIE KEITH is one of their better known intros and it really is pretty. Mine hasn't started blooming yet. I have never been there, I just order from the website. Plus its hard to tell from their really mostly horrid pictures and the daylilies turn out much prettier when you see them bloom. You still might want to postpone your trip till mid to late August to see late bloomers. You will not see any of the ones on my lists in bloom if you go now.

• shive
    12 years ago

Oh, I so like that Butterscotch Harvest!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Debra and everyone. They didn't have BUTTERSCOTCH HARVEST on their list for afew years but have it this year, or did earlier in the year when I looked. It is my latest blooming daylily and some years has bloomed into October here. If one only gets ONE Olallie late bloomer, I would recommend this one above all others. Lovely, lovely and so lovely. Can you tell I love it LOL!

• sunnyjay
    12 years ago

I'm glad I'm not the only one who placed yet ANOTHER order! haha

Jason

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jason- I ordered last year. This is an old post. I just knew it would cause confusion but I needed the list of Olallie late bloomers for Celeste. I haven't bought ANY daylilies this year. No iris or new roses either. Out of room! Yet while I was good this year I was just the opposite last year and just kept on buying.

• sunnyjay
    12 years ago

Rita - I should have looked at the dates! haha Oh I guess I'm on my own in my buying frenzy afterall! LOL

Jason