Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Some daylily blooms today.

newyorkrita
11 years ago

Sandra Elizabeth

Final Frontier

Another Final Frontier bloom, paler and on a different scape.

Back To School

Some blooms in Olallieland daylily area. All late bloomers.

Fountain Of Life rebloom. It has one rebloom scape and is one of my only two daylilies to rebloom at all this year. Last year and the year before it had as much (or more) rebloom as it had original bloom.

I watered those iris that I moved.

Here are some of those daylilies that I moved out of that first row of what is now the iris garden. Fortunatly I had some space in here to add daylilies.

Pow Wow Wild Berry conflowers just keep right on blooming.

My pond is full of Water Hyacinths. I have two frogs living in there.

My fall peas are doing great!

{{gwi:91314}}

Chinese cucumbers I picked today. Weird looking things but they taste just like regular cucumbers. Opps, got part of my foot in the picture by mistake.

Comments (13)

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

I am excited because my 'Final Frontier' (brand-new) is going to be opening it's first blooms very soon. The buds are all fat and sassy. It will be the very latest of my latebloomers to bloom. I have quite a few lates either winding down or are still going, which means they are blooming ahead of schedule. They should be just starting here and going into September but this was a weird & early summer. I like Sandra Elizabeth and Back to School and will probably eventually add them. I'm going to be getting more latebloomers because they do help me cope with daylily withdrawal symptoms.

I like your little water garden. I also have resident frogs. They actually set up house in the 2 watergardens in the spring and stay the entire summer (even lay eggs in there so we get more froggies). One pond had over a dozen frogs and the other one had 8 to start but now with all the new frogs I've lost count. I have so many waterlilies in there that the frogs hide beneath the leaves. I only see them on sunny days when they sit on the rocks or on the lilypads to sun themselves.
    Look at all those cukes! My dad is harvesting cukes by the dozens and if I had time I would pickle them. I just blanched and froze 10 quart-size ziploc bags of green beans that I picked on Monday but there are already more ready to pick. I can't keep up with Dad's harvest!

Hope you're recovering from all that digging. LOL

Celeste

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Lovely, Rita, I just love your late bloomers, and I think the Olallie has such a pretty color to it. That's a nice pond, know the frogs are happy--good looking veggies, too,hmm, I am getting hungry LOL. Avedon

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

LOve that FOUNTAIN OF LIFE and the reds are so pretty, too.The peas are looking good, too. and the weird lookinf cukes too.Love the little pond and know them frogs are injoying it too.

jean

• shive
    11 years ago

Fountain of Life is really pretty! It's good to see you still have some daylilies blooming.

Debra

• Edward_Kimball
    11 years ago

Fountain of Life looks awesome!!

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Fountain of Life is really pretty. You have lots of things going on still.
    kay

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

Daylily bloom now is especially nice. I find that I have more time to appreciate the ones that are blooming since there are so few,although right now I'm busy digging things for our club sale. Fountain of Life is a beauty. I have Sandra Elizabeth and Back to School too and they are both great late bloomers.
    Val

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

SANDRA ELIZABETH always highlights the late blooming daylily season. I don't know why I haven't gotten FOUNTAIN OF LIFE yet. I've always admired it. Maybe next year.

Julia

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Great looking blooms I especially like Fountain Of Life it has my favorite colors. I have a pond in my back yard that is full of frogs my cat Caramel loves to sit by the pond and frog hunt he's pretty good at it he just lives to share them with us by leaving them on the back porch for us YUCK!!!!.
    Linda

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

FOUNTAIN OF LIFE is gorgeous, Rita. I like your wild berry coneflowers and your pond. Your peas remind me that I should plant some. It's still too hot here. Your cucumbers are very interesting. Why that variety? Do they grow better, longer, or what?

Nancy

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Love fountain of Life & Sandra Elizabeth especially, very pretty. I'm surprised you haven't had more rebloom, your daylilies always seem to do so well. I got one of the Pow Wow coneflowers, lovely little thing, it was doing well then suddenly died. Of course, the nursery doesn't have any more, hopefully they will get some next year.

• ozzysboy
    11 years ago

Great picture of Fountain of Life and I'm glad to see it--it's one of the plants I'm expecting this autumn. Your picture is much nicer than the one on Emmerich's site.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Celeste, I usually get a frog or two in my pond but that is about it.

The daylilies went by so quickly this year. Just a few really, really late ones still going.

Avedon, the cucumbers make a great salad either by themselves or with some tomatoes. Yummy!

Jean, some of my peas started blooming already. The weather is cool here for August and I hope it stays that way as peas can not take hot weather.

Debra, Edward, Kay, thanks. Fountain of Life is a pretty one.

Val, even the late bloomers are earlier than normal this year. Oh well, what can you do.

Julia, SANDRA ELIZABETH is a must have for late blooms.

Linda, your cat must be a great hunter to catch frogs. My frogs hide if anything gets near them. I am sure the racoons at night would love to catch them but they hide.

Nancy, I tried those Chinese cukes as I read that they are sweet and tender. But really they taste like all my other cucumbers. But they all taste good!

Nancy, I had no rebloom this year except for two that sent up one scape each. Surprising as we had lots of rain and the summer was hot.

ozzie, thank you. Fountain of Life usually reblooms like crazy just not this year.