Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
intheforest

Show us your GIANTS...

intheforest
17 years ago

I was blown away by a daylily I saw at my first daylily farm visit in July in Dodgeville, WI. It was huge, dinner plate size, and kept drawing me to it even though it was not my color-orange and red. (I tried to find it in the price list, but I seem to have forgotten which one it was.)

I didn't get it because of its color, but got some great treasures-many on sale. Nice clumps of Pandoras Box, Paper Butterfly, Raining Violets, Siloam Fine Art, Strutter's Ball(my most wanted), Wineberry Candy, and I couldn't pass on Sambo Wilder marked down to $2-it has now become my favorite and they gave me 3 clumps b/c they were discontinuing it (increased slow).

I was very disapointed though that they were out of Baby Blues which is my absolute most wanted now, and they were out of Rainbow Candy which was my backup to BB-(they were out of RC because it was their bonus-double waaah). But I was still very excited about my new babies-half on sale for $3-yaaah. Hopefully soon I can show picts of my 1st year of daylily mania-no digital camara though :(.

So-Show us some of your huge beauties that stop you in your tracks.

Thanks, Abbey

Comments (17)

• phaltyme21
    17 years ago

FIRESTORM one great plant

• phaltyme21
    17 years ago

IGOR - 10" flower Kay

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Beautiful pictures, Kay!

I'm anxious to see what everyone posts, because I need more of the BIG flowers, preferably not spiders or UFs (although I'm posting pics of some I like):

TROPICAL SENSATION
    {{gwi:677774}}

LILY MUNSTER

ON SILKEN THREAD

TRUE TO WHIM

Chris

• intheforest
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ooooh-Kay, I love IGOR, WOW!-Abbey

• phaltyme21
    17 years ago

Abbey, Igor is a really rewarding plant. I got it this spring, I think it was 2 fans. Anyway, it put up a scape and another fan and 2 more scapes and bloomed and bloomed and bloomed. I am completely in love with that plant and I ordered it just from a picture and a description.

It is a rewarding plant.

Kay

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

Mal is the biggest in my garden and it is pretty nice too.

• daylilylady
    17 years ago

Feast your eyes on this bright orange beauty.....
    Marilyn

Mauna Loa

• daylilylady
    17 years ago

BTW...just love all the spiders!!!

Chris, On Silken Thread is gorgeous as is Tropical Sensation. I've got to get more orange DL's in my garden.
    Marilyn

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Thanks, Marilyn -- I'm loving the oranges this year! Here's another one that was a bonus from Maryott's. It's not supposed to be a big bloom, but the FFO was a whopper -- sure hope it stays that way.

LATIN RHYTHM (I put the wrong label on the pic)

• whte_mountian_witch
    17 years ago

ooooh, there so pretty

• ladylovingdove
    17 years ago

So Many Stars was huge and so stately,,strong stalks and a great grower,,the others here are large also,,,Dot in Tex

{{gwi:647941}}

{{gwi:926742}}

{{gwi:647956}}

• newyorkrita
    16 years ago

Seems like so many of the REALLY big ones are spiders.

• jkunkel
    16 years ago

My really big one bloomed tiny this year, but next year look out. It is Watchyl digital scream. A pink spider with a 14 inch bloom. I also got Mico this year and it has a 10 inch golden yellow bloom, but it did not give me any flowers yet. I really like Lily munster. I thought someone got Websters pink wonder this year (BIG one!) but I can't remember who. That one is supposed to be nice too! Well I was just looking around and I still have plenty that haven't bloomed for me, so ill have lots of pic to post next year too! -Jessica

• tjhemmer
    16 years ago

Had to buy this one. My sister and partner in crime is named Mary. As we first ventured into a growers field you could hear shouts of "Hey, Look here."

Look Here Mary
    {{gwi:926747}}

This is an 11" monster. They say it is 30" tall, but this one stands above all of the others in this bed.

Tom

• meg_va
    16 years ago

Ten Gallon Hat was one of my giants this year. Big, bright, and cheery!

Cerise Masterpiece rivaled it -I'll have to see if I can find a picture of it!
    Both were easily 8" on some days.

Meg :)

• phaltyme21
    16 years ago

I simply have to show you YELLOW MAMMOTH--what a flower. It has good texture, can stand the rain and the heat and keeps adding more flowers and this is the first year for me.

{{gwi:673541}}

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Some of my largest ones were:
    Nancy Billingslea, and a great bud builder also plus rebloom. 7.5 inches
    {{gwi:671904}}
    Let It Rip, a huge spider form. 10 inches

Macho Macho Man 7 inchs

Wedding Feast 7 inches and a gorgeous dl, every bloom was perfection.
    {{gwi:671902}}
    Jan

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths