Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your Favorite Lavenders

Posted by maximus7116 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 13:43

On to the lavenders! Please post your top three to five lavenders/orchids, along with the reasons they're at the top of your list.

The top of my list starts with CHATEAU BELAIR, planted in 2012 and took off right away. It's a tall plant with very strong scapes, tons of buds and a beautiful flower that holds up well in the sun:

Chateau Belair photo 008-5.jpg

SWALLOWTAIL KITE is an older Hanson that will always have a place in my garden. Strong grower with perfect blooms almost all the time:

Swallow Tail Kite photo DSCN6142.jpg

FRIEDA ALLEN JERRELL took a few years to settle in but has won a place in the garden with its big, wide open blooms and bud count:

Frieda Allen Jarrell photo 026-2.jpg

NORTHERN KINGFISHER makes the cut because it tried its best in bad conditions and the blooms were gorgeous. I'm including it in the lavender category because it bloomed darker than normal in this photo:

Northern Kingfisher photo 007.jpg

Please share yours. I love the lavenders!

Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your Favorite Lavenders

Again very hard to pick.

Finger Lakes - love this one
Spiny Sea Urchin
Regency Heights

o

I don't have many lavenders.well, I cant get to them to post them anyway. I have come to hate this computer with a passion with its windows 8 in it. cant do nothing you want to do with it. wel,I could say a lot more about it, but not here.:(

o

Well, I can do what some of the others are doing, just tell you what I have in the lavenders, but, no photos. Tried to get them from photobucket and couldn't get to them, looks like they not even there, now, Then tried to do it like I did the others, and that wouldn't work today either.so anyway, I have LAVENDER CASCADES,, PALACE GARDEN BEAUTY, and TRANQUIL WATERS. just wish I could post them
jean

o

My favorite lavender, although there were few blooms this season, was TEXAS BLUE EYES.

CAROLINA COOL DOWN is always a favorite lavender.

UNITY CONSCIOUSNESS

Debra

o

Judy, I forgot how much I liked Finger Lakes until I looked it up.

Debra, Texas Blue Eyes always looks good -- great photo, too. Since we're the only ones loving lavender so far, do you have any more?

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 8:41

Good thread! I need more lavenders in my garden. Right now the only one I have is Lavender Heartthrob. I do love CHATEAU BELAIR, I tend to like them tall. NORTHERN KINGFISHER is also lovely. I'll be watching for more.

o

Crazy Doyle was registered as pink but it is my only true lavender in the garden. It is a nice border daylily.

o

Lavender is my 2nd fav next to purple. Carman Renee is tops: beautiful bloom, lots of blooms and fast increaser. Great show! Fiordiligi is next for the same reasons, though a completely different style of bloom And then Tune the Harp is a wonderful blend of colors and a great bloomer.
Brad

o

Is "lavender pink" lavender or pink? I have SMALL WORLD TWISTER, which is registered as a "light lavender pink blend." Looks very lavender here. I'm listing it beause it's been in bloom for quite a long time and is a very pretty color. Also, I consider it a substitute for SKINWALKER, which I've tried and failed to grow twice, in two different gardens. One fault, if it is a fault, is that it has not yet attained its registered height of 42".

SMALL WORLD TWISTER
http://www.daylilydatabase.org/detail.php?id=164871&name=Sea Monster

The same with SEA MONSTER (Gossard 2010). It's a deep lavender here and not a lavender pink, as registered. I love the color as well as the color combined with the teeth. I also like that it's a midlate bloomer -- and in bloom now.

SEA MONSTER:
http://www.daylilydatabase.org/detail.php?id=164871&name=Sea Monster

And yet again: HAKUNA MATATA (Schaben 2007) is a "pink lavender". So pretty! I love its combo of lavender (or pink lavender) with the blue eye, and the blooms have a rich sheen to them. It's quite tall, at 50" (but not this year) and is a midlate bloomer.

http://www.daylilydatabase.org/detail.php?id=157319&name=Hakuna Matata

o

I just realized that one I like very much is a lavender:

RAMA LAMA DING DONG (Williams-Bachman 2010). It's the pale, pale lavender with that huge throat that does it for me.

http://www.daylilydatabase.org/detail.php?id=163374&name=Rama Lama Ding Dong

o

I don't have many, and this one is new this year, but I really like it: Purple Honey Creeper

o

marric, if you like tall ones think about Regency Heights. I almost have to reach up to deadhead. It's a very nice lavender.

I just looked it up and it is registered as 34 to 36". I read someone else's comment about the height being taller and I know it's taller than that, as least in my garden.

This post was edited by jkayd_il5 on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 11:20

o

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have plenty to look up now. I knew about Hakuna Matata and have been looking for that one for a while.

Crazy Doyle sure looks lavender to me. It reminds me of Chateau Belair.

Love the curls on Carmen Renee and Purple Honey Creeper has always looked beautiful. I wish I could grow Honey Creeper, but I'm afraid the colors from the Lambertson daylilies don't look the same in my climate.

o

If I got the color right my favorite lavenders are:
Undercurrent
Cosmic Traveler
Intelligent Design
Mardi Gras Parade is good too, lots of flowers, but this year they were on a small side

Undercurrent from yesterday

o

I can only think of three: My favorite BERMA ABERCROMBIE

o

Cosmic Traveler blooming today

o

Sorry, try again for the picture

o

Intelligent Design from the beginning of the season

o

Moonlight Orchid

o

Palace Garden Beauty

o

Pat Soileau by Jack Carpenter

o

My best performing lavender is American Folklore. It has better branching and bud count than most of my daylilies, has healthier looking foliage and is 23"-27" tall for me instead of the 20" it was registered at. It is a 3.75" flower.

American Folklore

Some more favorites are:

Inspired Edge

Indy Charmer

and these 3 recent patterned minis by Grace Stamile:

Little Trooper

Little Surfer Girl (looks especially blue early in the morning)

Little Jet Setter

o

Thanks for continuing to post, everyone. There's a ton of gorgeous favorites in this thread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here