Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Monday in the garden.

newyorkrita
11 years ago

Sorry to say it really is the land of the brown scapes around here. Almost everywhere you look it is a sea of bloomed out finished daylilies.

Mid backyard bed.

Some blooms still in the way back late bloomers part.

At least the zinnias look good.

{{gwi:91308}}

And I am picking lots and lots of cucumbers. The odd looking one at the bottom is one of the chinese cukes I planted this year.

And still lots of tomatoes.

Comments (8)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Hi Rita,
    I envy the cukes. We are all in the brown scap time, I think
    kay

• polymerous
    11 years ago

We're getting lots of cukes and tomatoes, too. Our cukes are shorter and fatter than yours (are you growing those long English types?). Our tomatoes are still mostly the smaller early types, though the later, larger tomatoes are starting to color up. The first of them will probably be ripe when we go out of town, sigh.

It's almost a challenge to keep up with the cukes. They've been going into green salads, cucumber-onion-tomato salads, and a Ukrainian-sour-cream-and-cucumber salad. I think that I may have to find another recipe...

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kay, brown scape time is very depressing. And we are having such a hot (for us) summer. You would think that would mean rebloom but no way this year. Depressing again.

Polymerous, Those big cucumbers in the picture are my BURPLESS that I buy as seedlings each year at a local nursery and grow. They grow into BIG cucumbers as you can probably see. The others there are Straight Eights and Palace Kings.

I love Cucumber and tomato salad. Have it ofen in various ways.

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

I did manage to have enough cucumbers to can a very few jars of the ultra thin, crisp pickles I love with certain Vegetables. I am now reduced to buying cukes for salads.

kay

• mizellie
    11 years ago

No cucs here but I sure do love them. I am buying mine at the market. Late Tomatoes are blooming but I don't think they'll do much. It was 54 degrees last night. Cool!! I am reseting daylilies still and am getting burned out since I am doing so much digging. Rita, you tomatoes and cucs look great. I do love the Zinnias. So colorful....Ellie

• mizellie
    11 years ago

No cucs here but I sure do love them. I am buying mine at the market. Late Tomatoes are blooming but I don't think they'll do much. It was 54 degrees last night. Cool!! I am reseting daylilies still and am getting burned out since I am doing so much digging. Rita, you tomatoes and cucs look great. I do love the Zinnias. So colorful....Ellie

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Them ZINNIAS are very pretty, RITA> Like you, I love the zinnias. that clump of daylilies is very pretty, too.Glad you are getting plenty of cukes and tomatoes, too.Wont be long till they will be over too. its all depressing when the blooms are gone , then the veggies are gone, too.I had my last bloom on BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS YESTERDAY and I took a picture of it and also the 3rd bloom on pandoras treasure, that i will post later. am not feeling up to it today.

jean

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

What is the daylily, Rita, it's a pretty one. Love cucumbers, we grow only one type from seed, and they are wonderful. Your tomatoes look good, ours are gone. Avedon

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?