Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngraham_gw

earthquake in Virginia?

Nancy
12 years ago

Anyone from that area? I understand it hit the DC area hard. Hope everyone is ok.

Comments (10)

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

We could feel it all the way up to here in Long Island. It was totally strange as I have NEVER been in an earthquake before. I was sitting at my computer and could feel the entire house shake. Fortunately not shaking very much or very long! I have the news on listening for the scoop on what happened. I hope everyone is ok!

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

I was just posting to cottage garden and my whole floor felt like it tilted, so I ran, grabbed my kids and went under bathroom doorframe. They didn't even feel it, but then all my apt. Neighbors started coming out and asking "did your floor just move"
    I'm at park now, somewhat freaked, but hope ppl closer to the area are okay. News says no reported damages.

• wren_garden
    12 years ago

Lying on the couch in Niagara Falls NY while it rocked me gently. I listened and there was no sound of a huge truck on the road or a big Jet ( we live 5 minutes from an Air Base) to cause the shake. Turned on CNN to hear about the earth quake.Wow! We in the East don't think earthquake. Hope all the Va. folk are OK.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Apparently what I first heard on the radio was worse than what actually happened, thank goodness. No real damage seems to have occurred, but I gather it was 5.8 earthquake. That seems like a pretty powerful earthquake. Hope they don't find any injuries.

• floota
    12 years ago

Yes, scary!! I had JUST come inside from working in the yard and sat down.There was a rumbling sound and then it felt like the floor ( and this is hardwood) was "rippling" and everything shook. I didn't know what to think at first except that maybe there was some construction going on at a nearby house ( like those guys drilling with a jacksaw into concrete) My husband was upstairs and I asked him what he thought it could be, and he said," I think we were just in an earthquake!" Sure enough, I went online to the news and right then it came up that a 5.9 earthquake had hit SW VA, with the epicenter near Louisa, VA (about 2 hrs. from here.) Most surely, this is enough excitement for one day!

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

They can be very scary, for sure.Hope no one was injured.We had a earthquake here a few years ago,and knocked pictures off the wall, and knocked a few things off my dresser, but no damage or injuries no where..Only lasted a few seconds.

Jean

• dementieva
    12 years ago

The Richter scale is logarithmic, so for example a 7.0 is 10 times stronger than a 6.0.

A 5.8 quake is certainly worth paying attention to, though.

According to the US Geological Survey, there are about 800 quakes between 5.0 and 5.9 worldwide every year.

Nate

Here is a link that might be useful: Some levity...

• casey261
    12 years ago

We felt it here. It didn't seem very strong, but it lasted long enough I decided to have my 9 yr old and myself (the only ones at home) get in a door way, which is supposed to be safer. I grew up in California, so that "not very strong" is relative. There doesn't seem to be a lot of damage or injuries being reported, so that is a good thing.
    Casey

• gonegardening
    12 years ago

I just heard on the news that the epicenter was 40 miles north and west of Richmond. We are about 60 miles north of Richmond here...and it was pretty substantial.

Having lived for nine years in CA (7 in so. Calif and 2 in no. Calif) in the past, it ranked up there for me. When my china cabinet swayed toward me, I decided it was time to move!

As I ran outside (with my elderly and ill dogs following...), I could see my house shaking and my garage doors rattling. My new neighbor(s) across the street was also coming out of her front door with her little boys. What a welcome to VA!

My dogs' vet was on her way here and was delayed by the earthquake as she had damage from things falling in her home to clean up. I just now was upstairs in my home and discovered things that had fallen off of shelves, etc...but nothing serious. The downstairs has a few pictures that are sideways...

Thankful we live where the structures can withstand such. All is well, just a little excitement for today.

• phaltyme21
    12 years ago

I didn't feel the earthquake today but, I had been reading during the afternoon, my husband was napping.

I went to my computer after a bit and here are some emails
    entitled "Earthquake ?". Now this is puzzling---what's with these people with this silly subject? Did someone name a new DL Earthquake?

Later, when we turned on the TV for the news, we found out
    about it. Now I feel silly. I surely hope no one was
    injured, bricks falling off of buildings is bad enough---

Kay (phal)