Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Your Favorite Purples Please

maximus7116
9 years ago

It's time for everyone's favorite purples. Please list your top three purples. There will be separate categories for lavenders and for burgundy/wines.

Here goes -- my favorites:

CLAUDINE'S CHARM: I suppose this could be in the wine category, but I'm calling it purple. This plant is always among the top daylilies here with the most buds and has excellent branching. Flowers are almost always perfect.

SELF DETERMINATION is always loaded with blooms:

My final daylily is INTEGRATED LOGISTICS: Very prolific and has a pinching throat once it gets blooming.

Please share your top purples -- Chris

Comments (25)

• jkayd_il5
    9 years ago

This was harder than I though it would be.

Russian Ragtime
    Linda Beck
    Another Night

I'm thinking, are Bela Lugosi and Bella Sera purples? If so they needs to be on my list.

This post was edited by jkayd_il5 on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 8:32

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Chris they are all beautiful and great plants! Love watermarks :)
    Jkayd, I wish my Linda Beck survived, everybody seems to like it.

Ok, purple is my mostest favoritest color in daylilies. Love them all even if they are not really purple purple in my yard, still call them purple. I even love SIASL that tangles :) It would be easier for me to name 3 purple that I am not that crazy about ;) ;) Well one of them doesn't bloom - that helps. Anyway..
    The first was very easy to pick
    Forty Days and Forty Nights - 1st flower on rebloom from yesterday

2nd place this year I'll give to Berry Delicious

No.3 this year will be Quiet Reflections for good performance

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Wow--so hard to narrow down. I got it to 4. Bali Water Color is really bright and gigantic. Makes a beautiful display. Peacock Maiden is similar, not quite so big and flashy. Swirling Waters has become a new favorite; such nice flowers & colors. And last but not least, Vintage Wine. I've had it a long time [25+ years?] and it is totally reliable in every way. I left out the next tier down: Belle Isle Sentry, Brooklyn Twist and Indian Giver
    Brad

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Brad, I was very pleased with my Swirling Water this year. I also like that it's a big flower.

Can we do favorite 5 for the next categories? ;) Will we have fave eyed?

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

oh my these purples are gorgeous. I don't have that many purples, well, not what I call purple.most of mine are a reddish purple I guess. but. oh well,

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

more of a purple

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

one of my favorites.

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

was looking for this one earlier and couldn't find it, my favorite purple that looks redish purple most of the time.

• Edward_Kimball
    9 years ago

Thieving Magpie is my favourite purple but I can't get the colour correct in pictures of blooms. Here is a landscape picture with the right shade of purple.

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

I find that purples are generally the hardest ones to catch the right color on film. My guess is that since there is no blue gene in daylilies, the red in them is strong and shows through.
    Brad

• celeste/NH
    9 years ago

The problem with purple is that I have more purple daylilies than any other color and to narrow my favorites to just three is impossible. Except for my very favorite, Stargate Portal, I really can't decide who are my other top 2 because there are so many great ones. So I'm breaking the rules, but here are more than three that captured my heart.
    Celeste

STARGATE PORTAL

FRANK'S STAR OF BETHLEHEM

ROYAL TROPHY
    Photos don't do it justice at all. It is bigger than it looks at nearly 8 inches and is a deeper color than photos show.

JAY FARQUHAR

CLAUDINE'S CHARM

INDIAN GIVER

NORDIC NIGHT

WATUSI WARRIOR

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Wow, all so beautiful--the 40 days and nights, the stargate, berry delicious, all so beautiful. I don't have many daylilys, but this is a favorite:
    'Bella Sera'

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

gosh celeste, they are all so gorgeous,I want every one of them. I need some more purples, but,I just have to have that CLAUDINE"S CHARM, that is so beautiful,
    CHRIS; your INTEGRATED LOGISTICS is almost as gorgeous as CLAUDINE'S CHARM, notice I did say (almost) :). I just got to have that daylily..I hope by next year I can have it.when you live on a fixed income, you cant have extra's that you want.

jean

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

CHRIS: I put the wrong one as the one almost as beautiful as CLAUDINE"S cCHARM. I meant to put

SELF DETERMINATION as my next favorite.

jean

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

I always want to post different ones than are posted, and, like Celeste, I love purples, I will keep it down as much as I can by not duplicating others.

Blueberry Popsicle:

Mean As a Snake:

Ranger Bob:

Mulberry Marvel:

Purple Tarantula:

Louisiana Jones:

And that left off the beautiful huge purple eyed ones...they need separate category, and many others that I will snak into lavender and wine...

kay

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting all these beautiful purples. I know limiting it to three is difficult, since I could easily have posted another 10 myself.

• shive
    9 years ago

I love all my purples more than most other colors, so it's hard to narrow it down to my favorite three. I finally decided to pick these.

I REMEMBER YOU was the best performing purple this season.

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS because it's still blooming, and has put on a nice, long show.

BELLA SERA because it's the only one reblooming.

• lynxe
    9 years ago

What a wonderful collection of purples you all have! I've been purposefully seeking out purples over the last couple of years, but I am SO far behind this group. I can look at that as a good thing, right? Time to go shopping!

My favorite purples here:

First place, without a doubt, is PASTOR Z (Polston 11). Here's what I said about it on the thread about top three favs:

"it is PURPLE, and what an edge! [...] I have to add something about PASTOR Z. I'd commented on its color and edge, but I left out some other great attributes, which I double checked on this morning.

It's listed as an ML, but it's August 7 and mine is just getting going now. Of course, this whole season had been slow to start so its behavior may change next year.

Also, it's listed as a rebloomer, and yes, I have a rebloom scape.

Finally, it's registered as having 5 branches and 25 buds. The placement of the five branches one of the scapes here is so good - three very well spaced ones and two top ones forming a nice, wide V.

I don't have 25 buds - I have 35! Of the 35, I have, as of today, one bloom and four bud scars. So that tells you how late it is."

It was slow to get going and, in fact, is only a DF still. But it's still one of my very favorites this year.

DESIRE OF NATIONS (Emmerich 08). It's a "grape cranberry blend" that sure looks very purple here. The background color-eye color combo is gorgeous.

DESIRE OF NATIONS:
    http://www.daylilydatabase.org/detail.php?id=159904&name=Desire of Nations

OCTOPUS'S GARDEN (Apps 2010) The magenta purple is almost electric at times. Tall, full of buds, midlate (blooming now), and supposed to be a rebloomer.

OCTOPUS'S GARDEN:
    http://www.daylilydatabase.org/detail.php?id=163587&name=Octopus's Garden

I would have figured out a way to list EMERALD PINWHEEL (Salieris 2010), but it was very bad this year. It might have hated this past winter or it might have been mostly due to thrips. Whatever, I had very few good blooms; also, it could not set a single pod. Such a shame - last year and earlier, it was stunning.

EMERALD PINWHEEL:
    http://www.daylilydatabase.org/detail.php?id=163495&name=Emerald Pinwheel

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Emerald Pinwheel is gorgeous! I Remember You is always stunning.

• opnjmprs
    9 years ago

First I want to thank those of you who posted pics of Bella Sera. Mine didn't bloom this year even though the plant looks fine and seems to be thriving. It was nice to be reminded of just how pretty that one is.

Picasso's Intrigue blew me away even though it's sepals are a bit blotchy. Wish I had got this shot before I took the pollen.....oh well.

Larry's Obsession

Third would be my toothy seedling. Color is kind of a red-purple.

Linda

• Edward_Kimball
    9 years ago

Thieving Magpie - the colour is more like the landscape picture.

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Purple is my absolute favorite, there is no way I could pick just 3 or 5 or even 10. I won't list some of my favorites that have already been mentioned, so here's a few others...

Jamie Dockery

Michael Bennett

Black Falcon Ritual

Mount Ararat

Mary's Baby

• nat4b
    9 years ago

So many beautiful purples! Linda love your 3 choices - gorgeous!

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

So many great purples here! I especially like yours Chris and Jamie.

• Tn_Tree_Man
    9 years ago

My favorites from this season in my garden were: STRUTTERS BALL, PLUM PERFECT, RUSSIAN RHAPSODY. My list is subject to change next season based upon what I find next!