Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Do Dormant Lilies Do Well in the South?

There is a lily I have wanted for a long time but it is a "hard dormant". I live in East Texas. Would it grow here or would I be making a mistake to try it? Thanks....

Comments (5)

• judydu2
    11 years ago

I live right on the Gulf coast of Louisiana and can tell you that in MOST cases, dormants will not survive. There are exceptions, of course, but if it is a hard dormant, I would wager you would be purchasing a daylily that will disappear in a year or two. The best way to check if a dormant will live happily in your area would be to see if anyone else in your area, or one similar to your area, grows it before you buy it. Otherwise, IMHO, you would just have to buy it and hope for the best. But if you are looking at spending big $$, I would caution you against it, especially if it is a hard dormant.

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

I think Judy is right. I am in Central Alabama, and lose very few daylilies, but that doesn't mean they all do well. Occasionally one will just not thrive here.

Most dormants do fine, and If I want one, I will try it. Your yard may well have mini climates and if you know that, you will know the site that will give the daylily it's best chance.

Good luck, and ponder hard.
    kay

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

It would be helpful if you would name the cultivar. Some dormants do thrive in our climate. When I first started in daylilies, I didn't know anything about dormants, EVs or Sevs. The order included mostly red dormant daylilies from Tranquil Lake. They were planted in a raised bed and did well. I didn't lose any of them.

Nancy

• Ed
    11 years ago

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a dormant for zone 9a unless I got it from someone that grows it locally. Not many nowadays are vigorous enough to thrive here. Before giving up on them, Leon Payne used to dig dormants up and leave them on top of the ground during winter to give them enough cold. Then he would replant in the spring.
    Ed

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The lily is Sister of Praise. I know Leon, have visited him lovely farm. Its a beautiful lily from the photos...but I dont want to have to remember to dig up a lily and let it sit on top of the ground. Last winter was mild.......winter before was very cold. You never know here. I think I will pass on this one.....its not a cheap lily....think my money would be wiser spent on lilies that are more suited to my climate......thanks for the help!
    Judith