Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your Favorite Dark Pinks

Posted by maximus7116 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 15:07

Please list your three to five favorite dark pinks or roses. This must be my favorite color daylily, because I have so many and had such a hard time narrowing down my choices.

Choosing CATASTROPHE WAITRESS will surprise no one, since it tops my list for all-around favorite daylily every year. Such a chameleon in color, and look at those buds!

photo DSCN6782_zps59d2f409.jpg

JELLYROLL MORTON bloomed for the first time this year and already moves into my favorites list. The color is outstanding:

jellyroll photo DSCN6292_zpsc3f1f582.jpg

IN HOT PURSUIT is in its second year and is one of the brightest daylilies in the garden. The color is hard to translate into a photo, but it is the most intense dark pink I grow:

inhotpursuit2 photo DSCN7022_zps52dcb416.jpg

ALLEGHENY SKYLINE is going into the rose category for me, although sometimes it appears more orchid. Great daylily with near perfect blooms:

photo DSCN6816_zps3571f592.jpg

And finally RASPBERRY FLAMBE, new to the garden last year and blooming for the first time here. It's very tall with velvety blooms and a great edge:

photo DSCN6835_zpsf9ceee2a.jpg

Please share yours!

Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your Favorite Dark Pinks

Gentleman's Lady

Gentleman's Lady photo Daylily-GentlemansLady_zpsee71973a.jpg

No More Tears

No More Tears photo Daylily-NoMoreTears_zps51180d76.jpg

o

I took a walk around the garden and decided Belle of Ashwood was dark enough. it is definitely a favourite pink.

Belle of Ashwood photo Daylily-BelleofAshwood_zpscb5ba5f2.jpg

o

Hmmm, best I can do.

Sarah Hawes:

Sarah Hawes photo IMG_1028_zps83d13b83.jpg

Songwriter:

Songwriter photo IMG_1464_zps30c67718.jpg

Remembering Elizabeth:

photo 616f7052-989b-4baa-912d-c42885fb2388_zpsd4fed3f3.jpg

Rose FEver:

Rose Fever photo IMG_0092_zps90a63967.jpg

Paul Owen's Seedling:

PO Seedling photo IMG_9696_zps25281711.jpg

Mabou:

Mabou photo IMG_8710_zpsd987fa21.jpg

Polar Ice:

Polar Ice photo IMG_7376_zps473897d7.jpg

kay

o

Mine are: Neon Flamingo
 photo IMG_5750_zps242970ae.jpg

Katherine Marin
Katherine Marin photo 001_zps975218d0.jpg

3rd is a toss up between Pink Aloha, and Pink Lemonade Party. I have so many picture files that I'm having trouble finding those pics.

Linda

o

My choices are

Shores of Time
Ballerina Beautiful
Rose Masterpiece
Sarah Hawes

o

Wow beautiful daylilies here!
The first that came to mind from mine is Blood, Sweat and Tears. It's berry color I guess, I think it qualifies :) First year blooming but a favorite for color!
Last bloom today on BSAT

o

2nd is a noid unfortunately - second to last bloom on it yesterday

o

I also love Guilded Appeal - opens well, many flowers. Pic from today

o

Another favorite is Bombay Silk - most of the time it looks red to me. Tall, lots of flowers (not a very good pic from about a month ago)

o

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 20:38

Becky Lynn is a nice dark pink daylily.

o

This is my fav, for spectacular color and and beautiful perfect blooms
Song Writer

o

Wow, some great flowers here. I especially like Neon Flamingo and all of Chris'.
I didn't post Chance Encounter because I recently posted it and there was a discussion about it, but it is certain one of my favorites. Fuchsia's Dream & Maleny Empire Rose really stand out in the garden. Indy Phantom and Pastures of Pleasure really look great, but are smaller and shorter so not as instantly obvious.

o

Lots of pretty ones! But many of them look lavender instead of pink to me.

Debra

o

I don't have many pinks, light or dark. That makes this one pretty easy to answer. Unfortunately.

THUNDER DRAGON (Gossard 2010), a maroon pink with very cool spiky white and gold teeth:
http://www.daylilydatabase.org/detail.php?id=164875&name=Thunder Dragon

NEON FLAMINGO (Gossard 2006) because it's finally looking quite neon pink.

FLAMING BULL (Bud Bennett 2006):
http://www.daylilydatabase.org/detail.php?id=155209&name=Flaming Bull

It's registered as "rosy red" but I say it's pink :) Although now that I think of it, if I don't count it as pink, that means I listed only two. So I have one saved up to be used elsewhere, for my usual cheat. ;) Anyway, whatever color it is, it's very, very pretty - very pure and clean.

o

My favorite is my seedling, garden named "Valentine Sweetheart."

o

Another dark pink that a nice 5-week run this year was DENA MARIE'S SISTER. This daylily sometimes has splotchy blooms, but it had a majority of clear colored blooms this season. The unusual color carries for a long way, and even the splotchy blooms looked good from a distance.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 15:38

o

Debra, Valentine Sweetheart is beautiful! Is that the one from SOT?

I also wanted to try something here.
THUNDER DRAGON (Gossard 2010), a maroon pink with very cool spiky white and gold teeth:
http://www.daylilydatabase.org/detail.php?id=164875&name=Thunder Dragon
or

o

Nat - I like the teeth on Thunder Dragon! Yes. Valentine Sweetheart is Shores of Time X Rosy Rhino. It has three rebloom scapes on the way right now.

Debra

o

Ah! I am admiring all of these! How about Dragons Eye? Blooms well, great color and form. I have it in the front of a daylily bed and love it. Has been in the garden for years and will be there for many more.

Chris, were did you purchase Raspberry Flambe? Love it!

o

Growgirl, I second your nomination for Dragon's Eye! It's a great pink and I also have had mine for years and it will always be here. It just blooms and blooms! Since you already posted it I will select 3 more dark pinks I grow and love. But Dragon's Eye is definitely on my list of favorites.
Celeste

I love, love, love this one. And to think it was a bonus that I didn't think I wanted, that is until it started blooming.
This is everything I want in a daylily. Hardy, healthy, sturdy tall scapes and great bud count, never fails to open perfectly.
CASTLE CAMELOT
Castle Camelot photo 444_zps06d9eee5.jpg

FORSYTH FLYING DRAGON
Huge blooms of pink
Forsyth Flying Dragon photo 192_zpsf298158d.jpg

Bubble Yummin' Mama
I have a peculiar relationship with her....some blooms are a disaster and then most are spectacular....so usually I love her. The pink is just SO PINK and the blooms are huge and ruffled that I can't resist her. She blooms for a very long time here.
Bubble Yummin' Mama photo 0832_zps128236c0.jpg

o

I'm drooling over all these pinks. Celestial, I had the same relationship with BYM and finally gave her away because the blotchy blooms outnumbered the good ones. But she was very, very pretty when she behaved!

Growgirl, I purchased Raspberry Flambe from Dan Hansen at Ladybug Daylilies. He offers not only his own daylilies but those from Chris Rogers, who hybridized RF. It was an outstanding performer here, especially for only having been planted recently.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here