Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Last Hurrah for Some, Hurray for Lates

maximus7116
9 years ago

Sadly, this is the end of bloom season for many of these daylilies. I hate the land of brown scapes, but managed to grab some photos while I could. I only have a few lates that just recently started blooming.

WILLOW DEAN SMITH had a surprising number of buds for being a relatively new addition:

TAHITI SWEETIE still has a ways to go:

UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE:

RELEASE THE KRAKEN (love the name) was just planted this year:

LOVE OR ELSE continues to show why I should move her:

RUBY LIPSTICK is probably out of here. I just don't have warm enough nights to justify its taking up space here (10 buds, two decent flowers):

This is the best year yet for UP ON THE ROOF, which has been loaded with buds:

CHANNELED AGGRESSION is also having its most prolific year:

AS THE WORLD TURNS has just begun its bloom season. Listed as an early to mid-season bloomer, it has always bloomed late here:

SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER, looking darker today, with a gorgeous watermark:

CHATEAU BELAIR, relatively new here and a blooming fool:

Chris

Comments (9)

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

wow, some really pretty ones blooming.love them purple-reds. UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE is a beauty.I noticed most of them all had the watermarks, guess they your favorites, too.CHANNELED AGGRESSION is soo pretty, too.SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER looks to be a huge bloom,and so very pretty.

jean

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Very pretty! First two are my favorites. Love all the watermarks, esp. Up on the Roof and Suddenly Last Summer.
    Sorry about Ruby Lipstick, I always loved it in pictures but was afraid it would be yellow here. Glad to hear that about Willow Dean Smith. Does it get more of that ENE look? It's a beauty this way too.

• shive
    9 years ago

Too bad about Ruby Lipstick. Chateau Belair is my favorite. I find that color with the watermark irresistible. I'm amazed by how dark in color Willow Dean Smith is for you, and I'm glad it's doing well in its first year. Uncertainty Principle is another one I like a lot.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

I like that Chateau Belair. Has a nice wide open face with perfect form. Good shot of Uncertainty Principle too. Sorry to see the season winding down, but still some pretty ones left blooming..........Maryl

• User
    9 years ago

Wow. I'm sorry to hear about your Ruby Lipstick. I have only had mine for two years, however it has been an outstanding performer both seasons - early to start, still going strong and I tell everyone who sees it that every flower is perfect - the opposite of what you are describing. Just goes to show what a difference a zone can make. I love Tahiti Sweetie. Just got it this year and have had one flower so far. Hope to have another tomorrow.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do wish Willow Dean Smith had more of the eye-no-edge look, but perhaps our cooler temps this summer have affected the color. It was just planted last year, so I don't think I've seen it at its best yet.

Chateau Belair was so fast to get going in my garden I couldn't believe it. It was full of buds last year and looks like it will exceed that count this year.

Ruby Lipstick performed the same way last year. Most of the early blooms wouldn't open all the way and were definitely more yellow than cream. This year has been worse, so I'm assuming it prefers a warmer climate.

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Channeled Aggression does indeed look good. Strange how some plants have good and bad years; some, though, are always reliable. Chateau Belair has wonderfully clear color.

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

I hate that Ruby Lipstick didn't d well for you since it is very pretty here. You still have a lot of beautiful blooms. I really like Tahiti Sweetie and love the bloom shape and color both on Channeled Aggression. Lots of beautiful reds, which I love.
    kay

• celeste/NH
    9 years ago

All so very pretty and too hard to pick a favorite. I love the lates and mine are just starting up. I always hate the end of daylily season so I try to add more lates each year to prolong the glory. Yours are beautiful.
    Celeste