Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Favorite New Acquisitions This Year

shive
16 years ago

Which daylilies that were new to your garden this year most impressed you? Tell us about your top three.

My best performing newcomers were:

GREEN ILLUSION

SNAKE IN THE GRASS BOO

CLAUDINE'S CHARM

All three of these gave lots of beautiful blooms on the initial scapes, and then gave a fantastic rebloom show. They opened well every time. Plus, each had some unique quality that made it stand out in the garden. GREEN ILLUSION had that impressive edge and the green cast to it. SNAKE IN THE GRASS has those wonderful light edges and incredible branching. CLAUDINE'S CHARM drew me in with its tantalizing eyezone.

Debra

Comments (16)

• maximus7116
    16 years ago

I had lots of pretty faces this year, but I'm going to cheat and pick some I added Fall '06 that bloomed for the first time this year:

ART IMPERIAL was a blooming fool with an amazing bud count:

GYPSY ROSE LEE was one of the most prolific bloomers with an extended bloom season:

I almost chose VICTORIAN LACE for the third (again, very heavy bud count), but I'm going with BERRY PATCH instead. This is the daylily that arrived as a piece of crown and no fans last year and has become one of my top favorites based on its recuperative abilities and gorgeous bloom:

Chris

• newyorkrita
    16 years ago

This is a very good idea to post favorite new ones. Then maybe I can pick my favorites of everyones favorites to add next spring.

• Edward_Kimball
    16 years ago

Number 0ne: No More Tears - This is one beautiful daylily.

{{gwi:672837}}

Number Two: Belle Cook - Blooms that stood up to the miserable weather we have had this year (cold and wet)

Number Three: Passion District - This one had an unfair advantage. There were four fans and each sent up a scape so there was derinate clump appeal.

{{gwi:663815}}

Honourable mention goes to two great seedlings; one from Phil Korth and one from Don Longton.

• okbt
    16 years ago

I have to say that most of my new ones did not bloom for me this year,but of those that did,these were the best.
    FRILLY BLISS
    {{gwi:646837}}
    PANDORA'S BOX
    {{gwi:663729}}
    CONCORDE NELSON
    {{gwi:650765}}
    All bloomed their hearts out sending up multiple scapes per fan in perfect succession.Honorable Mention goes to RASPBERRY WINTER,who bloomed in very cool temps with a great profusion of blooms and is noe sending up rebloom scapes.
    {{gwi:661481}}

Betsy

• jean_ar
    16 years ago

Wow, these are all just gorgeous.Love that Green Illusion,and Berry Patch.I received one that didn't have a fan too,last week,it only had a pc of crown.It wasn't one I ordered,just a extra that got throwed in the mix.I planted it in a pot,and it has leaves coming up on it,so maybe it might make it. Passion District is gorgeous too,and I just love them seedlings. My best bloomer this year was my new Bunny Puff.I posted pictures of it a few weeks ago.Its been reblooming for a month and still has a few more to go yet.

Jean

• leslie197
    16 years ago

Bridgeton Celebrity

Elizabeth Salter

Royal Frosting
    {{gwi:265187}}

• shellyga
    16 years ago

oohh goodness - that is a hard question. But if I must name just a few - here goes.
    For rapid increase and ever blooming status - the blue ribbon goes to SPECIAL CANDY

For ability to settle in quickly and send up a scape within two weeks of arrival - the blue ribbon goes to
    HALF MOON KEY

Tis a stretch of the rules - but since this is a new seedling to bloom this year - it could be considered a new acquisition.

Blue ribbon for the favorite bonus plant of the season goes to BUBBA ON TOUR - a blooming maniac that was extremely fertile to boot!

And last but not least - my favorite new pink this year goes to PINK ALOHA

Shelly

• numama
    16 years ago

I have to agree with Debra on Claudine's Charm one of my faves this year, but since it is already posted I get to pick something else! Same goes for Shelly, and Bubba On Tour....it was a WOW!
    My favorite newbies for beauty, bloom count, and overall performance are as follows:

LADY OF GASCONE...Very long bloom period

FEAR NOT....Long bloom period with GOBS of bloom that kept going and going

ENCHANTED FOREST....this one should have been named Energizer Bunny.....I have never seen so many bloom at one time that kept going and going.

Nancy

• Edward_Kimball
    16 years ago

It is not much of a stretch that I like Half Moon Key since it has the samr parents as two of the ones I listed: No More Tears and Belle Cook (out of Ed Brown and Seminole Wind). Also my list may have been a bit premature as Last Snowflake hasn't started blooming yet and it does have an awfully nice scape on it.

• phaltyme21
    16 years ago

I put a couple of pics in the post called pics best performance--something like that. This RUBY SPIDER was also a single fan--now look at it, the last flower was last week.

{{gwi:661424}}

• shive
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Edward,
    If I had posted a fourth favorite, LAST SNOWFLAKE would have been it. LS has the best scape of any daylily in my garden, and the blooms are gorgeous! Unfortunately, because of the extremely high temperatures, it dropped a lot of those many, many buds.

Debra

• phaltyme21
    16 years ago

• janepa
    16 years ago

I am taking my picks from '06 like Chris. My newest DLs are still settling in and will show their stuff better next season.
    #1 Casual Pleasure - Love the color, form, plant habit, and prolific.
    {{gwi:743923}}

#2 Summer Wind - Same likes as above and is reblooming now.
    {{gwi:881285}}

#3 Forsyth Vivacious - favorite red
    {{gwi:888175}}

#4 I need to include a great yellow - Emerald Splendor
    {{gwi:933127}}

And there is one from this season that is really impressing me - Julietta
    {{gwi:933129}}

Sorry this got so long. Jane
    PS: All your choices are beautiful.

• jkunkel
    16 years ago

They are all so pretty, LOVE Fear not! really getting into the bicolors, and bitones this year, but still don't have too many. My #1 newbie this yr. was Mildred Mitchell, bloomed and rebloomed nicely, and every bloom was just perfect!
    {{gwi:234891}}
    #2 Enchanted illusion-gave me lots of blooms, and just love the colors.
    {{gwi:243449}}
    #3 Lavender blue baby
    {{gwi:243447}}
    Runner up At first blush-performed well for the first year, and has perfect form.
    {{gwi:844751}}
    There were a bunch of really nice ones that are growing out there, but did not bloom this year, so im excited to see them next spring! -Jessica

• mike1
    16 years ago

Hard to pick three, I had quite a few new ones and am usuually skeptical about the pictuture you see in ads. However, was pleasantly surprised with most of them. Here are a few:

springfield clan

sabine baur

julie newmar

egyptian queen

singular sensation

apple of my eye

• ladylovingdove
    16 years ago

Its really hard to pick a favorite and I just posted 2 on another thread titled Last Snowflake. And I posted pictures before of Sherry Candy but for those who have not seen them here they are.

Sherry Candy which is different colors on different days

{{gwi:647934}}

{{gwi:647929}}

{{gwi:647931}}

{{gwi:647591}}

sorry it was hard picking only three