Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Yesterday - Today blooms - pic heavy

Julia WV (6b)
11 years ago

Still have blooms and I guess the rain is finally working some magic. These were taken yesterday and this morning. Excuse the dead foliage, blooms and scapes in the pics.

ROUEN CATHEDRAL - planted last fall along with my other Rice purchases from the clump sale. Lots of buds and the scapes are amazing, at least to me. This should keep blooming through August. First pic was very early this morning and the second one is about 2 hours later.

RED SLEEVED WARRIOR - scapes are a bit short but the blooms are perfect and has been blooming the past couple of days but this morning, it gave me another round of blooms. Love the bloom on this one. Thanks Chris for being an enabler :-).

SECRETS AND LIES - a bit disappointing with the openings but it did have alot of scapes and buds and still more to go.

CITRON ENCHANTER - not its best opening but I did move it last year to the back garden. Still have more buds to go so hoping for a better opening.

FILLED TO OVERFLOWING - low budcount, scapes are so so. Moving it this year and seeing if it won't improve. Otherwise it is on the "out of the garden list".

INDY SNOWFALL - blooming in the foliage this year. It took a hit from the snowstorm and then hard freezes in the spring. Much like what happened to BROWN WITCH.

LONG LEGGED LAP DANCER - still blooming but on the final one...I think. This is the best bloom so far.

MEMORABLE KISS - short scapes this year but it still has more buds to go. Moving this one to the back garden this year.

LAURA HARWOOD - still putting on a show. This one is being divided and part of it will go to the back garden.

INDY MAGIC - disappointing budcount and scapes or lack thereof. Still a nice bloom.

INCA PUZZLE - still going strong.

TRULY ANGELIC - in overdrive with the blooms. Moving this one to the back garden also.

UP MILL CREEK - last bloom and this one did give me a great show this year even with the lack of rain.

CAPE ROMAIN HARBOR - blooming on another scape

EVIDENCE OF ALIENS - still going.

CANTER - still going strong.

SPACECOAST EASY RIDER - still blooming away.

WESTBOURNE VALENTINES DAY - low budcount, short scapes but the bloom is large and quite eye catching.

SUMMERTIME IDYLL - still going- moving this one also to the back garden.

SOMBREO WAY - just love the bright color of this one. I already have one clump of this in the back garden so this one will stay outfront but perhaps in a different location.

SILVER ICE - I was amazed to see this one bloom yesterday. Low budcount, shorter than normal scapes too. But it has a very soft color.

I think I should stop now. I have many more and the doubles are still going as well. Its too bad these aren't all blooming in the same garden bed LOL. What a bloom shot that would be.

Julia

Comments (17)

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

WOW! You do have quite a bit still going. That's great. Lots of nice ones too! I do like Inca PUzzle, but any one of them will do nicely, seeing how they are still giving you blooms.
    Mine are slowly fading, just a few left.
    cindy

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

They all look really nice to me. Lovely, lovely blooms. I am thinking Canter is my favorite. And I have a few daylilies still to move here also. Happens every year!

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Gorgeous blooms, I love WESTBOURNE VALENTINES DAY -thats a beauty.also EVIDENCE OF ALIENS is a beauty. I love the reds.MEMORABLE KISS is a very pretty one, too. all are so pretty.

jean

• pippi21
    11 years ago

Julia..is the soft orange called Sombreo Way or Silver Ice?
    that soft orange is a beauty!

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Lots and lots of beautiful blooms! How nice it is to see. Thanks for sharing. Somehow, I had never seen or at least never really noticed, Red Sleeved Warrior, but it is an exceptionally beautiful bloom.That one goes on my list.

filled to overflowing is one of my best bloomers and rebloomers, so I hate that it isn't performing well for you. Maybe when you move it, it will "straighten up and fly right."

So many are lovely, but I will just mention Laura Harwood and Totally Angelic.

kay

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

I like that Rouen Cathedral. I have never seen that one before but it's very pretty. I also grow Sombrero Way and I love it too. It's actually the first daylily I ever grew, back before I got the daylily crazies and it was put in a border with invasive perennials but still managed to look great every year. I divided it up several times and now I have clumps everywhere. It never had an ID tag so I had to do my research to figure out it's name. My Laura Harwood is LATE. She just opened the very first bloom this morning and is full of buds so I will enjoy her for a long time. Glad you got some needed rain.

Celeste

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

You certainly have a long list of lovelies still blooming. I really like Canter. Hadn't heard of that one before. Laura Harwood is one that always impresses me in photos. Don't know why I haven't managed to get that one. I do have Truly Angelic and I love it.
    Val

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Those are some really crisp clean photos. Good job with the camera. I especially like the pictures of the triplet Red Sleeved Warrior, the multi bloomed Truely Angelic and of course Laura Harwood. I've tried to order Laura twice over the years but each time am talked out of it by the nurseries. But it sure looks mighty pretty to me. Really like the shade of yellow and the edges on Canter, and Sombreo Way is a lovely lovely color.......Maryl

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Lots blooming & some I don't remember seeing before. Love RED SLEEVED WARRIOR, Truly Angelic & Evidence of Aliens. I go Laura Harwood, but it didn't survive. I may have to try it again, really pretty.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all for the comments.
    pippi21: The orange one is SOMBRERO WAY. Very good bloomer and increases rapidly here. Usually blooms for me well into August.

I'm off to get started in the garden early this AM. Hot and humid weather is coming back and the weekend looks to be a day of retreating into the house.

Julia

• houstmag
    11 years ago

You still have some nice ones blooming my favorite is Laura Harwood.
    Linda

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

Fantastic show, Julia. And I'm happy to enable any time you want! My Red Sleeved Warrior didn't bloom this year (blame it on the drought), but I'm glad it's looking so good in your garden.

I've had the same problem with Secrets and Lies not opening fully, and it's been here for quite a while. I might have to free up that space.

Inca Puzzle and Summertime Idyll are both beautiful, and it looks like they perform well for you. Would you recommend those two?

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Linda and Chris for the comments.

Chris: Yes, I would recommend both. I've had both of them since 2009. Unfortunately, SUMMERTIME IDYLL is being squeezed out by STRUTTER'S BALL(massive clump) so I'm moving SI to the back garden. I should have counted the fans on each but perhaps tomorrow I can take a quick check.

Julia

• shive
    11 years ago

I love the photos of Red Sleeved Warrior! Truly Angelic, Laura Harwood and Spacecoast Easy Rider are favorites too.

Debra

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

You still have so many pretty ones. I love the watermark on Inca Puzzle, good shots of Red Sleeved Warrior, Laura Harwood, and Truly Angelic. Avedon

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chris: INCA PUZZLE has 10 fans and SUMMERTIME IDYLL has only 6. And I bought these as double fans in 2009. I have to say though I think SI would have done better if I put it in a spot where it had more room from the beginning. Hopefully moving it will improve the increase.

Debra: RED SLEEVED WARRIOR is really shining this year. I got this from Curt in 2010 and now it is hitting its stride. I think the last couple of rainfalls we've gotten really helped.
    Avedon: INCA PUZZLE is a favorite of mine here. Always does well and increases nicely.

Julia

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    11 years ago

Great pictures! Glad to know I'm not the only person who got RED SLEEVED WARRIOR after seeing Chris' photos a few years ago. Mine bloomed the first year I had it, then no blooms for two years and is blooming nicely this year - one bud left. I'm sure it appreciated being re-potted into a bigger pot last year. Your pictures of it are perfect.

INCA PUZZLE, CANTER and EVIDENCE OF ALIENS are my other favorites from this group.