Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Top 10 Favorites

shive
11 years ago

My true Top 10 Favorties and NOT the same 10 I voted for in the Popularity Poll. The list is SO limiting. I picked these based on beauty and performance.

1. TEXAS BLUE EYES - It took this one five years to become a top performer, but it did everything well in this difficult season: flowers all opened well, scapes had great buds and branching, very nice rebloom, and outstanding pod setting even in triple digit temps.

Comments (20)

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#2. STEALTH BOMBER - This was my longest blooming daylily. It had great instant rebloom, and was also a good pod setter.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#3. APPLIQUE - I love the color and pattern on this one. It was a great clump this season, and rebloomed for the first time ever. It set pods, but lost them in the triple digit temps.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#4. WORTHY CREATION - Like Texas Blue Eyes, it took several years for this one to show off. Loads of perfect blooms, well-budded scapes, and terrific instant rebloom!

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#5. WILLOW DEAN SMITH - I only planted this one last fall, but it performed like an old pro. Every bloom was bliss, the scapes were tall with 15-16 buds, and the foliage was outstanding in a year that brought much yellowing and browning foliage. It was also an amazing pod setter in 100-degree temps.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#6. PATRICIA SNIDER MEMORIAL - Gorgeous blooms, a nice clump, and instant rebloom.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#7. MOZAMBIQUE NIGHTS - Wonderful watermarked blooms and plenty of them, rebloom, and lots of pods set. My favorite toothy cultivar this season.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#8. SHORES OF TIME - My best pink performer this time. Lovely blooms and terrific instant rebloom.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#9. WINTER TREASURE provided an avalanche of white blooms over a long period. This one had instant rebloom scapes, followed by regular rebloom scapes.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#10. ANNABELLE'S BLUSH - Blooms always opened well, nice rebloom, and excellent pod setter in unbearably hot temps.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Honorable mentions to the Top 10 were ETHEL BUCCOLA, SACRED GROUND, BLUSH OF EMERALD, ALWAYS APPLIQUE, ASTRAL VOYAGER, FROZEN MARGERITA and SUGAR MAGNOLIA.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

I keep telling myself I don't really care for UFs, but then you come along with that wonderful camera of yours and immediately make me eat my words. Patricia Snider Memorial and Applique are beautiful. Of the fuller forms I can't argue with your selection of Worthy Creation and Shores of Time. I have SOT, and will be looking up the rest.....Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maryl - I'll make a UF lover out of you yet! LOL

Debra

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Fabulous flowers all- and a special nod to Patricia Snider Memorial, and those terrific photos of Winter Treasure and Willow Dean Smith. Avedon

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

Maryott's is sold out of Texas Blue Eyes and obviously for good reason. So I'm going to miss out on it again this year...sniff. Every time I see your pictures of it I love it more. The other one I adore is Willow Dean Smith. It is always so photogenic. But I also love Applique, Mozambique Nights and Winter Treasure, not to mention Stealth Bomber is a beauty plus a long-bloomer so how could I not love it? Annabelle's Blush doesn't rebloom here of course but it does always open well even in my cold climate. Shores of Time was much better here last year but this was a freaky year. I always enjoy your photos!

Celeste

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I can see why these would be favorites, they are all just beautiful. My Shores of Time didn't bloom this year & I'm not sure but what I may have lost it. Only had a couple fans last year & not sure whether the 1 fan I spot is actually SOT or belongs to the plant beside it. Mine was not as pretty as yours. I can agree about Annabelle's Blush, it did great here too & a lovely daylily.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Celeste - You may be able to find Texas Blue Eyes elsewhere. I guess the word is out about Maryott's. They seem to be sold out of a lot of daylilies.

Nancy - So sorry to hear you may have lost your Shores of Time. Mine went dormant this summer, but it's leafed back out now.

Debra

• dani_plus_2
    11 years ago

APPLIQUE- gonna have to get me that one!

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

They are all lovely, Debra,

I still haven't managed to weed my favorites down to ten.

I am really liking Stealth Bomber. I actually bid on that one on the auction, but was outbid. (I had forgotten about it and wasn't home).

kay

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Those are all beautiful. Some of them live here but there are a couple I don't have. My favorite of the ones I don't have is Patricia Snider Memorial. Good show! Ellie

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

I managed to get Texas Blue Eyes in June from Maryotts, Glad I did as they are sold out. A couple of the ones I was hoping to get later were sold out. I like Stealth Bomber and Willow Dean Smith best.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH