Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosier_nan

Saturday's Blooms

Stitched in Gold is looking pretty today.

Comments (13)

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Blessings in a Backpack has performed well this season.

Original Author
    9 years ago

We love the flower on Cardinal Desire but so far it is short for us and won't set any seed.

Original Author
    9 years ago

A seedling blooming today. We really like yellow flowers with red eyes and edges. I wish this one has more of an edge. I also wish I knew the pollen parent. This is Triple Cherries X either Bill Norris or Volcano Queen.

Original Author
    9 years ago

The last flower is also a seedling. This is Chance Encounter X Enchanted April. We really like the color on this one.

• Nancy
    9 years ago

All are nice flowers, but I love your seedlings. Personally, I like just that touch of edge on the first seedling, & the pink color on the 2nd is gorgeous.

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

They are all very nice!
    Brad

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

How is bud count on Blessings in a Backpack? I too like the color on your second seedling. Does it open better than Chance Encounter?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Mantis, Blessings In a Backpack has a good bud count. I counted 27 on one scape and 32 on another. There are a couple more scapes that I didn't count but they are similarly budded.

The seedling has never shown the opening issues of Chance Encounter. However, its bud count may be too low. I counted about 14 buds. It was moved last year. Hopefully when it settles in the bud count will improve.

This post was edited by hoosier_nan on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 23:02

• shive
    9 years ago

Blessings in a Backpack is my favorite. I'm a big fan of bitones and bicolors. I have had similar problems with Cardinal Desire. It's still short after three years, and I can't get any pollen from other toothy cultivars to set on it. I did get a pod last month when I put All Things To All Men on it. It will be interesting to see what comes of that. Both of your seedlings are very nice!

Debra

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

All of them look good, but that last seedling is my pick of today's blooms.
    kay

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

They are all very pretty. especially Cardinal Desire , love that edge on it, but, my favorite in this group is the last seedling. That's my favorite. very very pretty.

jean

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Blessings in a Backpack caught me by surprise. What a pretty daylily. Schmith is the hybridizer I see, but since I've never heard of him/her that doesn't tell me anything. It's my favorite of the group if you couldn't tell....Stitched in Gold looks so femine with it's pink blush. It finishes second for me and that yellow seedling is a nice third..........Maryl

• njmomma
    9 years ago

Stitched in Gold is so pretty!

Now I need Blessings in a Backpack! Ugh! I already contacted the seller/hybridizer. If I buy it it will be the priciest daylily I've ever bought by a long shot.