Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judyannz7

Evening bloomers

judyannz7
10 years ago

For a long time I have thought we should have more daylilies that look better than burnt toast for folks that come home from work, from long commutes to and from work, and still have something beautiful to see in their gardens before dark.

When this seedling started blooming I felt like it was a candidate for the job of breeding such long lasting daylilies. Blooms are still open in the moonlight at midnight, with just a bit of tissue collapse beginning after 11pm.

It is a hard one to photograph, but easier once I figured out I had the contrast set to + on my camera! It's a yellow blushed pink for all you Reckamp lovers! It is diploid, and a full-rolled bagel at 5 1/4". Extremely fragrant. The pink blush does not hide from the eyes the way it does from my camera!

Comments (18)

• judyannz7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here's the "in your face" shot.

So what other daylilies do you find that are open and without a bit of droop until after dark?

Diploid, please, or if not, at least make mention of the ploidy.

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Beautiful daylily, and I can clearly see the pink blush. I've never checked for evening bloomers --something for me to keep an eye on next year.

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I've never really checked for evening bloomers but this one always looks good, even at 7 p.m. It is a late blooming tetraploid. Elizabeth Frances Woodhall. Marg

{{gwi:922689}}

• nat4b
    10 years ago

I have only one that opens at about 7-8pm, it's Happy Returns.
    I was liveheading a lot this year, and none were looking good in the evenings. However when we had our cool summer days at the end of July - beginning of August, most of the daylilies looked pretty good, but they had troubles opening in the morning.

• judyannz7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nat, that is exactly what I'm talking about. Half past suppertime most are just not so nice. I wanted to have fresh daylilies for evening events and visitors. Bummer!

Wow! look at that branching on Elizabeth Frances Woodhall! I wonder if Roy named it for his Mother?

And just in case I didn't make it clear, this daylily opens early morning by 6am, it just doesn't quit all day and half the night! A little difficult to catch the pollen before it's all gone, but that's the only fault. It's a very Fertile Myrtle too. And fragrant, just extremely fragrant.

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I just found a this write up about EFW and yes, he did name it after his mother. He also crossed a yellow with a purple to get this beauty.

"Who would cross a "yellow" daylily with a "purple" one? Roy Woodhall, of course - subsequently unleashing the hybrid vigor, plant health and stalward, widely branched scapes - all the good things daylilies are all about! Named for Roy's mother, and like her, this is a very beautiful creation. Basically, a blend of yellow, pink orange and tan shades this wide, full, durable daylily is especially large at 6 to 6.5 inches and is beautifully formed in the stayle of an Amaryllis with a shallow yellow-green throat. Stunning in a clump with well-branched scapes and 30 to 35 buds"

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Well it was well into the upper 90's today, and I watched as Dutch Yellow Truffle opened her reblooms with perfect formation and color in the AM. The last I saw of her was around 8:00 this evening, and she was still colorfast and sunfast. Don't know her ploidy off hand, and since I don't hybridize have never been concerned with such things. But this daylily has been a real beauty for me (and many others)......Maryl

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Maryl, I love that one. How tall is it? I had never even thought about evening bloomers but now I'm going to get some! I hope more post here and show their evening blooms.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

That's a very pretty double. According to the AHS DB it's a tet, 30" high.
    Not in the extreme heat with excessive humidity but on 'normal' hot evenings American Freedom (tet) also looks nice. It is a yellow too. I guess yellows and creams especially with thick petals just hold up better in the sun, maybe.

• judyannz7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maryl, that is delightful. Thanks for posting one I've not seen.

Yes, typically the darker colors will melt faster. One can never have too many yellows! Though yellow alone doesn't guarantee an evening bloom I have found. American Freedom has looked nice here too, and I've plucked a bloom to hand over the fence in the evening. Cost me a daylily! ha

• gdjcb
    10 years ago

Great post! As someone who leaves home at 5:30 AM and returns mid afternoon, I agree this would be a wonderful trait. Many of my Daylillies could only be enjoyed on the weekends.

Gale

• judyannz7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for that personal experience, Gale. As I had dinner of tacos with fresh onions and guacamole with fresh garlic, I braved the mosquitoes and walked the garden this evening (without a bite!) This daylily posted above has already started opening tomorrow's bloom, which won't finish until the wee hours of day after tomorrow morning, Saturday. So extending the bloom of daylilies is truly a possibility.

• judyannz7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for that personal experience, Gale. As I had dinner of tacos with fresh onions and guacamole with fresh garlic, I braved the mosquitoes and walked the garden this evening (without a bite!) This daylily posted above has already started opening tomorrow's bloom, which won't finish until the wee hours of day after tomorrow morning, Saturday. So extending the bloom of daylilies is truly a possibility.

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

:) I posted in the other evening opening thread before reading this one. Oh, well, duplicate info.

I don't usually go for the doubles, but that is a nice one, Maryl! Very pretty.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Gale: You echo my experience and sentiments exactly. When I first got into daylilies I was soooo disappointed when they either melted away in our heat and/or faded to bleached out blobs by late afternoon. Indian Giver, Clothed in Glory were prime examples. I'm used to reading between the lines in rose catalogs (if it doesn't mention a strong fragrance, it's because there is none), but didn't stop to think that daylilies would have their own "unspoken" limitations. Since then a daylily that is sunfast (doesn't melt in the heat) and colorfast (retains a recognizable amount of the original color) are very high on my agenda. Finding both in one daylily is challenging, as most breeders don't bother to mention such things in their sales pitch for new introductions. Why would they skip telling you about those much sought after traits? Do you think they forgot? Maybe they don't think others find it important? Well, I do...It's one of my pet peeves in the daylily world when you can't even get a full day out of a $200.00 daylily......BTW, Dutch Yellow Truffle is an award winner and deservedly so...........Maryl

• gdjcb
    10 years ago

judyannz, I wish you much success in breeding for this trait, it is one that even a newbie like me can see is needed.

maryl, I'm still learning what makes a great Daylily and have lots to learn, however, it seems to me a Daylily should actually last the best part of a day. I can't imagine paying $200 for a sixhourlily.

Thanks,
    Gale

• judyannz7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This sweet daylily has now sent up its 4th rebloom scapes! Can hardly believe this but it hasn't skipped a beat since late June. I saw a fresh new rebloom scape about 10" tall in the center of the clump as I harvested seed today.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Wow, 4th rebloom scapes, that's great! I had 2 with the 3rd rebloom (only 1 scape though) for the first time this year. But.. days are still warm but nights are cooler and they don't open well

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!