Wisconsin Daylily Society sale

marcia1
10 years ago

The WI Daylily Society sale is this coming weekend
Sat 8/17 10-4 and Sun 18th 11-3.
It is being held at Olbrich Garden in Madison
The website will list the @ 700 varieties
www.wisdaylilysoc.org/plantsale2013.html

If you are coming.don't forget the Dane County Farmers Market around the Capitol Square from 6:30 until 2ish (maybe vendors are finished by 1:00.
Also of interest..great plant place The Flower Factory is about 15 miles from Madison..a wonderful orchid greenhouse on Cty Q.just outside of Middleton and lots more, Jung Nursery (2 sites) etc.
The Johannsen Nursery has recently closed, if any folk are fans like I was.

Comments (8)

• User
    10 years ago

Oh, I'm excited! I'm up in Madison visiting my daughter and didn't know about the sale until you posted. Thanks for the good news. Ann

• marcia1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad that you will be able to come..got email this AM--# is up to over 800 varieties ):

• User
    10 years ago

The sale was super! Huge number of plants, extremely well organized in large tent with big photos of every Daylily.

Here is what I came home with. Any comments on any of these would sure be helpful to me. Thanks, Ann

Antique Fringe
    Notify Ground Crew
    Topguns Blooming Machine
    Take a Walk
    Her Flirtatious Eye
    Villa Del Sol
    Ranger Bob
    Barbara Dittmer
    Jeweled Sunbeam
    Greystone Touch of Romance (unregistered)
    Big Sur
    Cheddar Cheese
    Edge of Frenzy
    Tiki Torch
    Coyote Moon
    Blue-eyed Butterfly
    Hermitage Newton
    Sears Tower
    Cat Dancer
    Francis of Assisi
    Sacred Heart
    Smoke Screen
    Bug's Hug
    Eggplant Electricity
    Easter Sunday
    Tall Angel
    Absolute Treasure
    Tuscawilla Princess
    Strawberry Candy
    Cameroons Twister
    Eternally Grateful

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Looks like you got a very nice selection of DLs! I recognize many names of the ones people post here.
    Personally I only grow Cat Dancer, Francis of Assisi and Strw. Candy. I like Cat Dancer, it is a late bloomer here, flowers are interesting and open well (still flowering). Francis of Assisi is pretty too, mid season bloomer. In my yard it is a front of the border daylily, plus people complain that it blooms in the foliage. I just like the flower, and that's why low scapes don't bother me so much. Fades and melts in the sun quickly (in my yard). Strawberry Candy is nice too, not my favorite because it looks kinda orangey and not pink like I'd like, but my DH likes it.
    Fransis of Assisi had its last bloom today

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    10 years ago

The only one I have on your list is Coyote Moon - and I love it. I saw it at a daylily show several years ago and was impressed with the scape and bud count, so I bought it. Mine started blooming here on July 3 this year, still has a couple of blooms today and still has some buds. It is one of only two daylilies I have that put up rebloom scapes.

This picture is from last month...

• marcia1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, glad that you made it and enjoyed the experience. You made some great choices. Ahem..I need to look to see what I purchased this season.
    Ranger Bob was purchased last season..lovely bloom time and set pollen on Red Volunteer.
    Bug's Hug is a great bloomer here..it also is a very quick multiplier.
    After the clean-up, we had a little meeting (everyone grabbing on leftover food) and the sec.shared that we had had buyers from several states..info met with loud applause.
    Great time had by all. Come back next season!!

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Ranger Bob is a lovely color and a good bloomer here. Big Sur is another very good bloom machine. Nice big blooms. those are the only two I have of yours, but I, too have seen others posted here. Nice selection.
    kay

• User
    10 years ago

Thank you for your comments and pictures. So looking forward to next Daylily season already. Ann

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner