Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseseek

Best repeating with most durable evergreen foliage for my zone

roseseek
10 years ago

I need eleven, evergreen, heavily repeat flowering, large flowered daylilies for the entry of a home. It's USDA Zone 9b-10a in a weird micro climate which experiences a bit less of the severity of the mid SoCal desert the surrounding areas receive. The soil has excellent drainage, with a good deal of ground water seeping through the hill. It's sufficient for Baby's Tears to grow in direct, full sun about nine months of the year. The other shrubs and ground cover roses flourish without any special treatment. Everything receives the same, all purpose, inorganic fertilizer monthly with regular sprinkler irrigation.

I hope to find a taller, larger flowering, evergreen type with a high rebloom rate. The ones the landscaper planted grow beautifully, but they are deciduous with rather "delicate" foliage. They flower three times a year, but I hope for more durable foliage which will remain green and present over the winter months so there aren't any holes in the beds bordering the front entry. Color isn't as important as flower size, frequency and reliability of bloom and durability and persistence of foliage.

Given those requests, what would be your best suggestions for varieties I should consider, please? Thanks! Kim

Comments (6)

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

Kim, this will be interesting to see what you get in the way of replies. I don't even bother keeping records on evergreen foliage in my garden except for when I'm registering a daylily. Every hybridizer does register their daylily foliage class. The trick is that a hybridizer in the south may see evergreen foliage but it may not be evergreen in the northern zones, and vice versa for a hybridizer living in the north recording the foliage behaviors in his garden. What he might register as dormant would truly be evergreen in your garden.

You can check the American Hemerocallis Society database using the Advanced Search and specifying height, foliage type and rebloom, what you are interested in finding. But I would think that the most reliable recommendations would come from your local daylily club and local growers of daylilies. The AHS and local clubs are a great and underused resource.

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

And you just may want to check out the topic on the Maryott Garden daylilies on this forum. He's one of California's growers and could well advise you. His plants are terrific, too.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Kim, do you have a preference for bloom type? The Spider Type or unusual form like North Wind Dancer:

or the round "bagel" type like Ruby Lipstick?

kay

• Ed
    10 years ago

I would recommend my RAY SOUTHWORTH. It is a big flower, repeats well and has very persistent, dark green foliage year round. You can obtain it from Paynes In The Grass Daylily Farm in Pearland, Texas. It is pictured in the AHS Daylily Database.
    Ed

• roseseek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I honestly believe a spider type would suffice if there were MANY of them, fairly continuously and the foliage was durable and persistent. The bagel type would definitely fit the landscape style better and possibly provide more of a "pop" of color.

The house is a light gray with white trim, modern looking remodel of an older home. Most of the landscaping is "green" in varying shades and textures. The ground cover roses are all pale pink (read white in our sun!). Literally any color would work, she stated she has no preference as long as there IS color as long and as frequently as possible. I've known her for years and am confident she would accept pretty much any flower form as long as there are LOTS of them, for as long as possible.

The suggestions so far are beautiful! Thank you. Now, finding eleven plants of the right one is the hunt...Kim

• FarawayFarmer
    10 years ago

Now, finding eleven plants of the right one is the hunt...

True, but in that zone, a pair of double fans can easily yield twice (or more) that amount in one season.

I would recommend American Splendor and almost
    any of the Spacecoast cultivars that have large enough
    blooms. SPC Pumpkin Power comes to mind.