Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairysoapgirl

How important is it?

fairysoapgirl
16 years ago

To cut off a new scape on a pretty new plant?

Here is a photo of the DL I planted in July:

{{gwi:935183}}

Here is a picture of what the bloom should look like:

{{gwi:879916}}

It looks like there are at least three buds in there that I can see... am I supposed to cut it off to help the plant grow, or will it be ok if I let it bloom?

Comments (16)

• jakejones
    16 years ago

The fan it is growing from only has t-4 leaves. I would cut the scape and prevent the plant from being even further stressed. Yet it is part of a clump it seems. I would still cut it off.

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

Michelle where did you get your metal labels?

• barbiescraps
    16 years ago

Question about your garden markers.... how did you print the label?? I have similar stakes and I was going to write in pencil, but I LOVE the way your markers look!!!
    BTW- great DAylily!!!

• shive
    16 years ago

If new plants I get in the early spring put up scapes, I let them bloom. I would cut scapes off a new one trying to bloom now. The plants need to put their energy into putting down roots and settling in for the fall/winter. A new plant that is stressed by trying to bloom in the heat of summer weather may not make it through the winter. Or, if it does, may not bloom at all the next year.

Debra

• Ed
    16 years ago

If it's a new plant, I would let it bloom once to make sure it's the correct plant and then cut it off.
    Ed

• katlynn719
    16 years ago

I'm with Ed...I always let mine bloom so I can see what it looks like. I know it probably stresses the plant, but I can't help myself. I've GOTTA see it! I also try to peak under Christmas wrapping paper and shake the box. And I always taste my desert before my meal...at least one bite, if not more. What can I say?
    Kathy

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

Kathy..LMBO...to funny.

My DH can't stand to have a present and have to wait for BD or Christmas he'll beg to open it and I cave in LOL.

Yes, I hide his presents or he'd have nothing to open.

• fairysoapgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi All,
    Thanks for the info... I am guessing that I am going to have to at least see one flower... I don't know that I can physically make myself cut off the scape without at least seeing it bloom...... :o) Need....... to.......... see........ it........

I got my metal labels from Paw Paw Label company and I use a brother labelmaker with industrial strength clear tape. I really like the way they look in the garden. Took a little reading on how to work the labelmaker, but boy it is sure worth it! Snow, rain, sleet, hail, sun - nothing can get those babies off! (except me if I try real hard to peel them off)

• fairysoapgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, so I managed to get rid of the first scape (sniff... sniff...) but now it is trying to bloom AGAIN! Geesh... I hope it continues this bloom habit next year!

• Ed
    16 years ago

It will be even better! :0)

Be brave,
    Ed

• petalpatsy
    16 years ago

I'm taking support and encouragement off this thread! I just have noticed a scape on a month old fan of Lava Flow, here at September 12th. It's only about seven inches tall -- seems to have come up in the last three days of rain and cooler weather.

I will cut it off. Sniff, sniff, bawl!

• fairysoapgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

petalpatsy - I felt the same way when I cut off the first one... I really felt bad... I don't know if I should say it or not, but I have been letting the second one grow. The plant overall seems to be doing well - new fans growing and the weather is unusually cool... Guess I need instant gratification... and the knowledge that it is really 'Cousin Jewel'.

Ed - thanks as always for the encouragement!! :o)

• Nancy Barginear
    16 years ago

That's OK....go ahead and cut off the blooms, sit back, chill out and relax. I'll provide pics of the late blooms, as I am far too curious or too chicken to destroy a potentially beautiful blossom on one of my new daylilies, in spite of all the dire warnings. This afternoon, I just found Bella Sera putting up a scape. I'm sooo excited!

• flowergirl70ks
    16 years ago

Michelle, could you tell us what brand of industrial tape you used on your labels? When I ask for industrial tape no one seems to know what I'm talking about. also how wide is it?

• fairysoapgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No Prob...

It is:

Brother P-Touch Industrial Series Extra Strength Adhesive Tape, 3/4" wide (18mm)
    Black prink on Clear Tape
    Item #: TZ-S141
    Estimated $: $17-$21

It is kind of hard to find... but if you do an on-line serch for it, you can find it around. One roll did about 100+ labels for 3" plant markers - but that is if you don't make any mistakes or make longer labels etc...

Hope this helps!!
    Michelle

• fairysoapgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Reposting my moved pictures:

and... here is how the bloom turned out: