Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
thinning daylilies question

Posted by readdream 5a (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 16:12

I have 4 or 5 varieties that don't ever seem to need thinning as they don't multiply very fast. It has been 5 years since I got them. Would you go ahead and at least dig them up and replant what is there so they will at least have fresh dirt?
Brad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: thinning daylilies question

I have a number of daylilies, planted around trees, that did not bloom this year.....not sure if affected by lack of sufficient Sun or if they are overcrowded.

After digging them up do I need to replant right away or can I hold over some until spring?

o
RE: thinning daylilies question

Brad, I'm not an expert, but if they are blooming well, I would leave them alone. Some daylilies just don't multiply as fast as others. If they aren't blooming very well, you might move them or dig them up & add some compost to the soil
Most daylilies don't bloom well in shade, and trees can sap nutrients from the soil too. You need to replant the daylilies, unless you plan to pot them up til spring. I don't do well potting up daylilies, I think I tend to overwater, but I know lots of people on this forum do quite successfully.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here