Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

hand in cast

Julia WV (6b)
10 years ago

xrays show a fracture in my hand and today the orthopedist put a hard cast on to stabilize my hand to help mend the fracture. too bad he had to cast half way up my arm too. not a lot of pain. just cumbersome and heavy. out of the garden till he says i can start using my hand again.
now what to do with all this extra time but read forums lol.

julia

Comments (9)

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

Ooh, hope you aren't out of commission for too long. So sorry this happened during gardening season.
    Val

• mizellie
    10 years ago

So sorry Julia but you need it well for next year! Enjoy the reading! Ellie

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

oh my, I am so sorry JULIA about this. but, be happy you have a dr that's making sure you will use the hand again like you did before.Darn Dr I had with this broken wrist kept telling me its lined up perfect and healing just fine.I personally don't think he ever looked at the xrays that was took every 2 weeks,as my wrist did not heal right,I cant hold my hand out straight like I use to, it curves to the left at the wrist,and hurts daily, too.I was at my personal dr 3 months ago and showed him and asked what he thinks about it,and he says well he don't talk about other drs, but,I sure have a curve to it that's shouldn't be.I had a wrist support on it that day and took it off to show him,and he told me he thinks I should continue to wear the support on it.i showed him my left wrist that was broken 4 yrs ago,and a different dr worked on it,and its healed perfect and gives me very little problems. I hope your hand heals perfect so you can get back to the garden and plants.

jean

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

That is not a good thing. At least now you know why the pain...I'm sure you know the reason for the extended cast. They know what we are.

So, do you want your plant this fall or next spring. And if this fall, when is good for you? Our climates are so different, that I can't judge for you, and either and spring is fine for me too, so don't even think about that.
    kay

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

So sorry to hear you're out of commission right now, but hopefully the cast will be gone in time for you to do some fall planting. Perhaps you could upload some more gorgeous photos with your good hand?

• shive
    10 years ago

So sorry about the fracture and the cumbersome cast. Take time to rest and heal.

Debra

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Julia, so sorry about your hand and hope it will heal quickly!
    And Jean, it is so sad about your wrist situation, maybe another surgeon can help?

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you all for the kind words, curtailed a lot of activities and soooooooooooooo bored.

kay: next spring would probably be better. i am almost sure he will restrict activities for another couple of weeks once the cast comes off. window for planting/digging here is starting to close. i do not like to plant/replant later than early sept. it gives plants 6 weeks before our frost date to settle in.

chris; can not hold the camera but can upload to ATP PLANT DATABASE of pics i've already shown here. easiest thing i can accomplish with one hand.

love all the threads showing the dls blooming.

julia

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I suspected as much and wanted to assure you that spring is just fine, and no need to be worrying about anything.

kay

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH