Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa33_gw

Daylilies? No blooms.

lisa33
14 years ago

Hi there!

I bought a house almost a year ago exactly. The prior owner was an elderly gardener who hadn't been well enough to care for the yard for some time. I aspire to learn about gardening (recently posted some pictures of my newly-planted front garden in the Cottage Garden forum), but I'm still completely inexperienced.

Anyway, this year has been an interesting exercise in seeing what the PO planted and what survived years of inattention. I have a long roughly east-facing stretch of fence (about 50 feet) that gets primarily morning sun where foliage grew that I thought were daylilies. So far, not a single bloom. Within what looks like the daylilies there were also what looked like iris leaves. I think a grand total of two bearded irises bloomed earlier this year. Could it be that they need some sort of attention (dividing, fertilizer, etc)? Maybe I'm totally wrong about what the plants are. I'm puzzled and don't have the knowledge to figure this out. So...that's where you come in! I can post pictures if you think that will help.

Any thoughts on what's going on? A kindly neighbor of mine who is a wonderful gardener just gave me heaps of what she called wild daylilies ("the orange sort.") I am thinking of planting them along the fence in place of the non-blooming pokey leaves. However, if you think nothing is blooming due to lack of full sun or a soil issue, maybe I should consider putting them elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Lisa :)

Comments (12)

• daylily_dreamer
    14 years ago

Yes - please post a picture.

• lisa33
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here we go with pictures:

{{gwi:935824}}

{{gwi:646234}}

{{gwi:935827}}

{{gwi:935830}}

Upon close inspection and further thought, I'm also wondering if these could be a sort of iris instead?

Thanks again for any help for this baffled beginner!

Lisa

• Nancy
    14 years ago

It is an iris, maybe a siberian iris, but doesn't look quite like mine. Maybe a Louisianna iris?

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

Bearded Iris need diving every few years and the can not have other plants growing on top of them as is going on in that border. You best dig the iris (can be done now) and replant.

The other leaves are a mystery to be. They are not clumped up like Siberian Iris would be but they look similiar to Siberian Iris leaves. They are deffinately not daylilies.

If you plant the wild orange daylilies along in there (after digging out the other plants) I am sure they will do fine and bloom. Those things are tough and not at all fussy.

• phaltyme21
    14 years ago

Lisa - those wild orange daylilies are sometimes called
    "ditch" lilys, now do you understand what they really are.
    The are pretty but you need to know that they will take over along the fence. However, if you will be happy with
    those, do it. If not, don't plant them there get some of
    the different colored ones.

Good luck.

Kay/phal

• tepelus
    14 years ago

If I were you, I'd "ditch" the ditch lily idea, and try some cheaper, older cultivars and see how you like those. Then maybe you'll get as hooked onto dayliies like the rest of us and you'll start looking into newer, maybe fancier hybrids, and then the obsession really begins! But, if you like the ditch lilies, go ahead, but just remember, after they get established over a few years time, and you decide you don't want them after all, they will be a pain to eradicate.

Karen

• jean_ar
    14 years ago

Those plants looks like DUTCH IRIS to me.But, I might be wrong, too.

Jean

• lynxe
    14 years ago

I was thinking they were iris pseudacorus that's crowded and getting too little sun. Or maybe siberian, getting the same, and ergo floppy and leggy. Since there's a consensus you may have some kind of iris, your best bet is to go to the iris forum and post your pics. The wider leaves, growing near the ground....looks kind of like some kind of aegopodium (bishop's weed). Very, very aggressive; if that's what it is, I'd try to get rid of it before planting anything else there. And iris pseudacorus can be somewhat overly aggressive, too, if you let it go to seed.

Most definitely the same with ditch lily, as people have said. Frankly, I, too, would ditch the ditch lily. If you ever decide you want to plant anything else along that fence, you will have a horrid time getting rid of the stuff. Ditch lilies are beautiful IMO, but they definitely need their own place. They do not coexist well with other plants, as they are rhizomatous (spreading far and wide via underground rhizomes) and you will find that perennials and other daylilies will be overwhelmed by them. You'll even have new fans popping up in the midst of shrubs, in the grass....

If you do want to keep them, think about a large tub of some sort, perhaps buried, perhaps not (maybe a whiskey barrel?), and growing them there, all by their lonesome.

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

They are not Siberian Iris. Siberian Iris clump just like daylilies. I think Jean is on to something that they might be Dutch iris. One way to find out is to dig one. If it had a small bulb instead of a rizhome(sp?) its a dutch iris.

• daylily_dreamer
    14 years ago

Yay for Rita - I was just thinking if someone who knew about iris - I certainly don't - could take a look at the roots, rhizomes, bulb, whatever is underneath that they could help you so much more. Please dig some up and post a picture! Also I agree with tepelus - ditch the ditch lilies - too nice of a spot for something common!

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I agree they aren't daylilies, they look like iris but not Siberians or beardeds and the ground cover is aegopodium (bishop's weed) which can be a noxious weed. It isn't even the pretty variegated one, yikes.

• lisa33
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for all of your help. It seems so obvious now that they are irises. The reason it didn't occur to me earlier is that there is another location of similar foliage that bloomed rather nicely at the end of May. It just didn't occur to me that this could be the same thing since I didn't get ONE bloom along that fence. With ten thousand other things on my mind as I restored the inside of my house, I just scratched my head and thought...hmmm...must be daylilies.

At your suggestion, I've moved this question to the iris forum (see link below) with more photos of them dug up and of the other patch of irises that did bloom at the end of May.

I'm also so relieved to find out that the other plant is a noxious weed. I hate it and didn't want to kill it if it was something worthwhile. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it and how to proceed would be greatly appreciated! In the other post, I did post a photo of my newly-planted front cottage garden. I included some daylilies there. The ones that spring to mind are Opera Elegance, Jovian Lightning, Avante Garde and Ginger Jar.

Thanks for all of your help!

Lisa :)

Here is a link that might be useful: New Post in Iris Forum