Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Beds the Best They Have Been in Three Years

organic_kitten
9 years ago

I am delighted to finally be able to work in the garden like old times. I have mulched about 90% of the daylilies now...and weeded of course. I have only the front bed to redo now, I sent daylilies off to two people again today. I do need to dig and divide one more plant, Reason for Treason, since it is not blooming as much as it usually does. I will leave Johnny Cash for next year and see if it needs divided or the problem with diminished bloom this year was winter damage as I suspect. Hopefully I will be able to spray for thrips next year.

Raccoons have had a wonderful time in the greenhouse throwing things about. Smart as they are, they haven't managed to use a can opener yet or pull the tab on cat food cans...just throw pots around and pull down grow lights. Rascals!

kay

Comments (11)

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

haha just give them coon a little time and they will learn how to open anything.I had to buy bungee straps to strap down the lid on my garbage can outside. I had heavy sacks of house abd kitchen garbage in my can outside and they opened the lid, turned the can over and pulled them heavy sacks of garbage out and it was strung out all over that yard, and every cat food can in it was as clean as if you had washed , rinsed and dried it.. several paper plates was the same way, clean as a pin.. well, after a couple times of having to pick up all the garbage and resack it,I bought 3 bungee straps and after I put mmy garbage in the can,I criss cross the straps across the lid,and so far its worked to keep my garbage in the can where it belongs.Luckly, my can has ridges around it where I can hook the straps and the straps are stretched pretty tight across the lid,and so far, they hven't been able to get the lid off yet., so they went to my front yard and found the bird feeder and tore it up to get all the seed out of it.its a bird feeder that has a wooden roof with plexi glass sides on it, and they got the side off one side of it and broke it in half, then threw it in a pot of daylilies, 3 feet away. so they are very smart creatures. now I go out every evening before dark and get the bird feeder and bring it in over night, hang it back out the next morning.Course, I had to make a new plexi glass side for my bird feeder, before finding the one they pulled out.When the weather is cool enough, Ilike to go sit on the front porch in the late afternoon and watch all the birds coming to the feeder to eat.When I take the eeder out of the morning to put it back out for them,I usually have 3 or 4 little birds sitting on the fence close by just chirping away, waiting for their feeder to come back.You just got to love the great outdoors(when its not 90 degrees out).

jean

• Nancy
    9 years ago

I'm glad you are doing so much better, Kay. Sounds like you have really been busy. I sort of know what you mean. I didn't do much in my garden last year because of a 2nd hip replacement. I think after several years with the arthritis problems, I had lost lots of energy. This year I feel better than I have in years, & have gotten lots done. Getting so much done just makes you feel good, doesn't it? Don't have raccoon problem,but we have possums & skunks. I'm not sure why the timing, but every year about this time we get a skunk that brings her new family around. They hang around for a few weeks til the weather gets cold.
    I'm so glad you are able to enjoy your garden!

• nat4b
    9 years ago

I have to start working on my beds! It's been so hot here though, but better now.
    I had to laugh at the mental image of raccoons using can openers :))

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Worked on my beds this summer also. Plants were crowded after years of just taking care of the weeds. Removed some divisions i had made and removed what to me were maintenance nightmares. Parted with 4 more Stellas last week. Everything is mulched and new daylilies planted, cant wait till next season. New hostas too! My late season clematis are starting to flower now. Weather has been nasty this past week, way too humid and hot to do much.

Sherry

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It has been really hot! I have to be totally covered due to the sun allergy, but I have a big electric fan that I have blowing on me while I work and it is a great help. I've put out 6 more cubic feet of mulch this morning. Nat4b, the raccoons are inventive, I wouldn't put it past them. I've got to clean up the mess they made in the grrenhouse. They even emptied bag of perlite...guess they figure there was food at the bottom. Jean, I wouldn't bet against them figuring out the bungees. Nancy, If I had had a hip replacement, much less two, I would think I was doing great just getting around! Glad you are able to garden again. I'd trade you raccons for the skunk family:) Sherry, you are getting into this obsession, aren't you. Getting rid of Stellas is a clue:)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Guessing by the posts i have read recently we are all about the same age. 65 for me ! I guess you are only as old as you feel! Lol. Some days the feeling is not too good, no complaints from me today, though. Most days its good to be on the upside of the grass!!!

Sherry

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

Sherry, you are young yet.I am 82, at least till the very last day of feburary next year.Think I have to invent a Birthday again next year,as I think its only got 28 again,and my Birthday is on the 29th.
    Kay, I sure hope these coons don't figure out how to get my bungee straps off, or I have a big mess to clean up again from these critters.

jean

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Jean, i think the best thing to do is count only the ones on the 29th! You' ll be old enough soon to legally have a drink , lol, thats the age in illinois anyway.

Sherry

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

Sherry. I have had people laughing when I am asked how old I am, and I tell them I am20, They stare at me a few minutes then say OK.They don't catch on about my Birthdays every 4 years,until I explain it to them.it IS kind of weird I guess.
    what part of Illinois are you in? I am from LINCOLN, ILLINOIS.

jean

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Jean, i am in Oswego. I know where Lincoln is but havent been there. Yeah , Illinois, the land of jailed governors. I'd say lol but its not funny, looks like Texas might have one too.
    Sherry

This post was edited by sherrygirl on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 18:53

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

:) yes, Sherry, I kept up with that story about the Illinois Governor there and that bushy head of hair he had that looked like he spent most of his time in front of the mirror, admiring his self.but, they have a lot of them kind now days that get too greedy when they get in office. now, I have not heard of Oswego, I will have to hunt it up and see what part its in. I still have a Uncle and Aunt that lives in LIncoln.

Jean