Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houstmag

RIP to our garden helpers

houstmag
11 years ago

It seems it's been a sad year for some of us with the passing of our furry garden helpers. Rest in Peace and let your spirits fly. MS. Blackie, Whiskey and Little Boy hopefully we will meet again someday over the Rainbow Bridge.

Linda

Comments (11)

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry Linda. I know my pets have brought me so much pleasure & have soothed me through some difficult times. So hard to let them go.

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

Linda,
    Your losing Little Boy has touched my heart and I share in your grief. I am so sorry for your loss of such a beautiful friend and garden helper. I feel like I had come to know him in a way, what with our two 'boys' looking just like brothers. Fat Cat Nemo did have another brother besides Little Boy and his name was Cosmo. They were littermates and we took them in when they were just tiny kittens no one wanted. His death at age 7 came without warning and he died in my arms. I had just let him outside & closed the door when I heard a thud. I opened the door and saw he was flopping on the ground so I scooped him up, but within seconds he was gone. I didn't understand what was happening because he was always so healthy and we had just been cuddling before I let him out. I grieved for a long, long time and even now the tears will come easily like now when I remember his passing. That was 3 years ago and it still is a raw ache in my heart. So what I did to try to heal was I made a memorial garden for him near the back woods where he loved to hunt. I planted a bleeding heart over where his ashes were and catnip for the other cats to enjoy. There are little cat statues in there and my cats like to go there and sit.
    For all of you who have lost your dear furry friends, I am so sorry. You are all in my thoughts.

Celeste

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

I am so sorry, Linda. Our pets are family members too, and it hurts terribly when we lose one.

We lost our little hound. She had been either thrown out by someone or just made her way to our house about 10 years ago. DH just went out to feed her and she was dead. She had been perfectly happy the day before.

It does hurt.
    kay

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

LInda, I am so sorry about your loss of LITTLE BOY. seems like a lot of us are losing our beloved pets and garden helpers.Ms BLACKIE passed away in Feburary, and there is still not a day I dont think of her and miss her terribly.She was the best cat I ever had.

jean

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

So sad to hear you lost Little Boy. It is painful losing a beloved pet, seems like a hurt that will never go away. I remember the pictures you posted of Little Boy, he was so sweet looking and your good garden helper. At least you will have happy memories of him, hope it will help ease the pain of your loss. Avedon

• houstmag
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for your kind words it's going to take me a long time to get over his passing he was such a special cat. It does comfort me somewhat to know that he is healthy and not in pain anymore after his trip over the Rainbow Bridge. I just know he is with all of everyone's lost furry friends getting to compare gardening notes.
    Linda

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

I am really sorry about the beloved pets lost by our forum members. They become members of the family and it is very hard to let them go.

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

I have been avoiding this post for a few days because it is a touchy subject at our house too. My Dad lost his 'garden dog' a couple weeks ago and we are all still grieving. He was a 130 lb. Heidelburg Shepherd who loved everyone and greeted all the garden guests like they were long lost friends. We all referred to Duke as our little brother. I'm sorry about everyone who lost their little furry family members. It's hard to think of them not being there anymore.

• aquawise
    11 years ago

This post touches my heart!! I love it when people really care enough to put there pets to rest. As a Vet tech I see far to often people that bring in the Cat or Dog and have it put down for many reasons, Old most times but some have begun to get mean or developed a bad habit they don't like. The sad part is that they do not want to mess with taking care of it after we Euth. it. So they pay the Vet to keep the remains! By law he cannot bury them so they are frozen and later sent to the flesh pit at the local Land fill. There are some and they are few that do love there pest and ether take them home for burial or have them Cremated and sent back to them for safe keeping. Just a very few have the crematorium keep the ashes after cremation because it is cheaper but they did not want the loved pet in a land fill. All the Love I see here does my heart good and I commend you all on the love you give them in life and after they pass. You will be blessed for your caring and love for Gods little creatures.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Having just spent my entire kitchen remodeling fund on one of my "babies" at the vets, I know where they rank in my scheme of things. All of us love our companions with a special kind of love. Even though we know that we will go through the heartache of loss again we continue adopting others into our hearts and our homes. My sympathy to you Linda. I just now got to your post, but I understand you will be grieving for some time to come. The Rainbow Bridge has gotten me through many a hard time. Believe that you will see your "babies" again....Maryl

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Linda, I am so sorry for your loss. I've been there and know what a void it leaves. It's especially sad when they seem to be your garden watch cat and i know you will miss him!! Ellie