Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanbachman_gw

What is this yellow daylily

SusanBachman
10 years ago

Ok, I bought 6 daylilies last fall, were supposed to be Mary Todd. Definately not. I kind of like them though. They are taller, 38" and bloom later, maybe mid season. Here is a pic and I will post more later. Any thoughts? Good resources?

Comments (15)

• floota
    10 years ago

With 74, 455 daylilies registered as of today, it is virtually impossible to ID a daylily from a picture. Someone may make a good guess, but you will likely never know for sure with so many that look similar. Sorry! Maybe just enjoy the blooms?

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

From whom did you buy them? If from a grower, it is likely that the yellow is another one (s)he had. Is it a quite large bloom? It could be Big Bird, but the segments are not usually rolled back so much. Many NOIDS have been identified on this forum.

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

The degree to which segments roll back on Big Bird can vary.

• SusanBachman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the post Mantis. It might be Big Bird. Most blooms do not curl as much as that one. That was an early bloom. And the blooms are not huge, I should measure, but maybe 5-6 inches.

And what is a NOID daylily? I am new to this.

Thanks.

I want to post some pictures of the back of the daylily which is distinctive.

I bought them at a local nursery Fox Hill Gardens in State College, PA. They do all their own divisions in the fall. They are selling these as Mary Todd. They probably got their stock many years ago.

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Big Bird is 7" and about 34" tall. "NOID" is abbreviation for
    "No identification." Mary Todd is an earlier bloomer, shorter plant, different form from yours.

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

I don't have any guesses for you, but I think it's a beautiful yellow, especially with the green throat. I was sold a bunch of daylilies when I first started out that were labeled Mary Todd, but the stats don't quite match up. I've often wondered if I instead have Buttered Popcorn, but I'll never know for sure. You're always at the mercy of the person labeling the plants and hoping they have the names right.

Chris

• SusanBachman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a frontal picture. Sorry this is blurry. I want to get new pictures today.

• SusanBachman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a frontal picture. Sorry this is blurry. I want to get new pictures today.

{{!gwi}}

• SusanBachman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a rear picture. Sometimes the brown markings are even darker.

• SusanBachman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a rear picture. Sometimes the brown markings are even darker.

{{!gwi}}

• SusanBachman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To floota:I have identified some dayliles and that my mom has, such as Fairy Tale Pink, and I don't think it is that hard if it is a really common variety which is what you usually get at the nurseries.

Some people want to figure out what breed their dog is and others don't care. It doesn't lesson how much I like or care about the daylily that I am curious what it is. I am just interested and plus I get more information about it if I figure out what it is. It is a learning process. I have things in my garden that were given to me that I don't know what they are. I learn a lot about the plants in trying to find out their names such as with my old roses. And if you find a historical one then you are preserving history.

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Google Good Impression and see if they are similar. Sepals usually recurve on Good Impression. Your last pics really don't look like the first pic, so your daylily must have considerable variance.

• Kevin7502
    10 years ago

Not Mary Todd. As far as bloom time my Mary Todd is one of the last to bloom and is was still blooming today. Have had it for better than 10 years. About 2-2.5 feet scapes and 4-5 inch blooms.

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Well, at least this post has given an education on Mary Todd. While listed as an early bloomer, it probably tends to bloom late in the North, as do some registered early bloomers. Its scapes are obviously taller than the registered height. Why are you certain yours is not Mary Todd? Here is a pic of Mary Todd from the web, and you can see some of the brownish on the buds. I do remember that Mary Todd has fantastic substance, like wax. Its color is a bright golden yellow. The branching on this pic seems a bit different from your pic, but branching can vary as clumps become more mature. Of course, one other option is that a seedling of Mary Todd was sold as the real thing; it happens quite frequently.

Most certainly, Fox Hill should stop marketing the daylily as Mary Todd if they acknowledge that it is not.

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 13:57

• SusanBachman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am sure it is not Mary Todd because I have dozens of Mary Todd already. My true Mary Todd from College Gardens and Oakes Daylililes are closer to the true height. My Mary Todd are 24". The fake ones are 38". The fake ones bloomed later. The fake ones were a totally different yellow, shape, etc. The pictures you post and cannot see as well as I can in real life the difference. MAry Todd have a whitish midrib, smaller ruffles, goldenish yellow (not chartreuse yellow), differnt shape. Look at Oakes Dayliles in Tennesee as a great resource. Also the fake Mary Todd from Fox Hill (they agreed it was not correct as well) bloomed much later. I live in PA and my Mary Todd are early. I will acquire further evidence if you really want, Mary Todd do not have the brown markings etc. I have already made a list of the differences and I can post that later. The color in the fake ones was more chartreuse green, difference green color. Originally I wanted more Mary Todd to match what I already had and instead these clash.

I also feel it is unfair for future people hoping to get Mary Todd from Fox Hill and they will not get what they wanted. It is false advertising. I put a huge effort into redoing my gardens last fall and it is a dissapointment that they didn't turn out as I planned. So it is cost and expense to me. I bought and used very special soils, used my aged horse manure, peat moss, good top soil etc.

I am not sure what your intension is. If you want to make me believe that is the same that won't happen. I know what I see with my own eyes. If you want more evidence on the differences then just ask that. I am just trying to figure out what these are because I am curious. Thanks.

This post was edited by SusanBachman on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 12:10