Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Favorite Whites, Anyone?

maximus7116
9 years ago

Not sure if we're all starting to go into hibernation, but I thought I'd get everyone's votes for favorite whites and creams.

My faves start with ARCTIC LACE:

Then MAL:

And then VICTORIAN LACE:

I don't grow enough whites, and the few others I have didn't do squat this year. I'm on the lookout for some good ones that will do well in my climate.

Comments (23)

• opnjmprs
    9 years ago

I only had a few whites that bloomed this year. Ice Cream Emperor, Fancy Lace, and Going Green didn't bloom, and Fringy produced a few blooms that I didn't feel were worth taking a pic of, but that one was new this year. Below are the few that did.

Small World Snow Fox

President Ronald Reagan

Wedding Gown

Almost forgot.....Irish Jackpot (new this year)

Linda

This post was edited by opnjmprs on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 18:05

• ruthz
    9 years ago

I love whites.
    Winter Treasure is one of my favorites

• ruthz
    9 years ago

August Frost

• gwnichole
    9 years ago

My favorite white, doing its thing:
    Heavenly Angel Ice, the absolutely perfect daylily!

This post was edited by gwnichole on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 10:05

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Sonny Jay ??

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Rainbow Radiance

• Nancy
    9 years ago

How about an oldie, gentle Shepherd

• jkayd_il5
    9 years ago

I don't have many whites but

Last Snowflake
    Heavenly Angel Ice
    Duck's Luck ---- white with light purple eye and edge

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

gee;GENTLE SHEPARD is a beauty.Cant get to m ine on photobucket. but, my favorites are LIME FROST which is a late b loomer, and SILVER SHOWERS,and cant think of the name of the other one right now..

jean

• celeste/NH
    9 years ago

Royal Frosting

Forsyth Summer Snow

Tip of the Iceberg

Those are my top 3 whites. Lime Frost is my runner-up.

Celeste

• lynxe
    9 years ago

I have so few, and virtually none that are round/bagel-y/full formed. LAST SNOWFLAKE did not make an appearance this summer. So both of my two favorites are UFs:

SONG OF MYSELF (Ball 09), which is still in bloom and has clumped up beautifully:
    http://www.daylilydatabase.org/detail.php?id=161579&name=Song of Myself

TAHOE SNOW BLZZARD (Gossard 09):
    http://www.daylilydatabase.org/detail.php?id=153556&name=Tahoe Snow Blizzard

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

That ARTIC LACE is a beauty, CHRIS> your VICTORIAN LACE is white?Must be the climate makes a difference, as mine is a light Pink. or could be the camera,I guess.my camera don't always show the actual colors.
    ROYAL FROSTING sure is a pretty one.

jean

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

White is probably my least favorite color in daylilies. One of the problems is that white in daylilies is so seldom pure white. Not too bad if the ground color is a very pale yellow that lightens to almost white, but when it's that pale peachy color it looks kind of dirty or rusty to my eye. Anyway, for me the truest white has been the classic Joan Senior. Her color, along with her long bloom period and largish blooms adds to her appeal to me.....Maryl

• nat4b
    9 years ago

What beautiful whites! I added Arctic Lace this year (had one spot left and gave it to AL) :) Thanks to Chris's pics and somebody else's recs.
    I also consider Victorian Lace white / cream. Don't have many, and I really like whites, especially planted next to reds.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jean, I've never had any pink in Victorian Lace. It's not white, but I'd call it cream here.

Nat, I hope Arctic Lace does well for you. It sure has become a favorite here.

I was thinking I'd try my luck with Last Snowflake since several GW members who are in my climate have had decent luck with it. Alas, I can't find it listed for sale anywhere.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

I also meant to say that although all the whites posted so far are very nice, my two favorites are Arctic Lace and Irish Jackpot. Haven't heard of IJ before. Love the edge on it. Will check it out.....I was hoping someone would post a picture of Fringy. I'd like to see how it grows for people.........Maryl

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

My favorites are Heavenly Angel Ice, Last Snowflake, Arctic Lace and Above the Salt. I got Ivory Titan as a bonus this year, and bought Winter Treasure and Royal Frosting earlier this summer, so I'm looking forward to seeing those 'whites' in my yard next year!

Chris, I know I saw Last Snowflake in a couple of price lists over the last month or two when I was poking around. I just checked a couple of price lists again, and Sterrett has it listed, I have no idea if it's available though.

Here is Above the Salt

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

I don't have many whites but here's 3 of my 7! Joan Senior is the whitest and most favorite. So Lovely is really pretty and blooms and rebooms a lot; I can never get a picture that captures is beauty, and this seedling that someone gave me is a great late bloomer and is still blooming now. My other 4 are Gentle Shepherd, Past Forgetting, Radiant Moonbeam & an unknown.

• del_s
    9 years ago

Arctic Lace has been phenomenal this year. Just about the time I thought it was on its last bloom it sent up a rebloom scape so on it goes. Early in the season it has a pale pink blush but then moves to a clearer white later on. Our other white is Canadian Diamonds, which is a truer white all season.

• luckyladyslipper
    9 years ago

I lost the tag to this one, which bugs the heck out of me because I adore it. Can anyone help with id? Do you think it's Joan Senior?

This post was edited by luckyladyslipper on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 21:48

• shive
    9 years ago

Ruth - Winter Treasure is one of my favorites too - definitely the whitest of my white daylilies.

• shive
    9 years ago

My top favorite white this season was Queen of Narnia.

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Mine are already pictured.

Arctic Lace, Joan Senior, and , especially, Heavenly Angel Ice.
    kay