Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Lost one of feral cats at vets today

organic_kitten
9 years ago

It is really depressing. We managed to catch Higgins, a very pretty, dapper appearing male in a Hav-A-Heart trap this morning because he had developed a limp on his left front leg that was getting worse. He had begun to come when called and to accept bites of food from my hand. We intended to leave him t the vet and let them neuter him Monday since he had eaten chicken before we took him in.

Our vet was not there, and his associate was transferring him to a box designed to allow sedation to enable an examination when he escaped and began running around the clinic. He was captured by catching him in the box when he scaled the wall and fell back.

We waited for the result on the leg. She neutered him, then examined the leg and said she thought it was broken,asked about x-rays. Of course we said yes, It was broken and one bone was misaligned. We told her to splint it and we would keep him on the deck while it healed. He died when she woke him. He was under anesthesia for far too long, and I suspect that killed him. He was a beautiful, dapper cat. He was coming when I called him and had taken food from my hand the last two days. He would lie down a foot or so from me and be very relaxed, sleeping. I will miss him even though I had only met him a week or so ago.

Unhappy with this:

kay

Comments (18)

• vedabeeps
    9 years ago

All kitties go to heaven.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

My heart is breaking for you. I've been in your shoes too often. You must tell yourself that without you he wouldn't have known affection and care at all. He was such a handsome boy. How lucky he was to have been in your heart before he crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I'm so sorry......Maryl

• opnjmprs
    9 years ago

He was quite a handsome fellow. I do feel for you, it takes a lot of patience and kindness to win the trust of a feral cat. He was very fortunate to have found someone who cared.

Linda

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks you, Linda, Maryl, and Vedabeeps. for caring. There are four of the litter, apparently. Gus, Bella, Higgins, and a gold one that is coming around but more skittish than the others at this point.

Bella, you've seen:

The gold one, even her (or his) eyes are golden:

and Gus who crawls all over me and sits in my lap...he forgot to be feral very quickly:

They will all be neutered, have shots for rabies, flea treated, they are very well fed.

kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Kay, so sorry to hear that happened. Pets are like our kids.
    Such a pretty cat too.

Julia

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

Kay;I am so sorry to hear about this.Its just so sad to finally win him over, then this happens.I have lost several animals at a vets office, but not a cat.I lost puppies.I had bought one pup py years ago, a chocolate color toy poodle and its tail had not been cut when it should have been,and made it not look like a poodle, so brought it to the vet and he said no problem to cut its tail. well, he gave it too much of whatever they give them to put him to sleep and it never woke up.Vet told me I didn't have to pay for the surgery,and I told him good,as I don't intend to pay some one to kill my puppy., then later changed vets,and later had a pug puppy give to me, and it fell off the back steps onto a pipe that was sticking up and I took it to the vet to be sure it wasn't hurt,and was told it had some brusies and gave me some pain meds to give it for a couple days,and 2nd pill killed it.It went into seizures and I took it back to the vet, but he couldn't save it, then we found out later, it was the pain meds that killed it as it was too young for this pain med.it was suppose to be at least 6 months old for it,and my puppy was only 2.5 months old.Your cat was such a pretty one, too.and the gold colored one is very pretty, too.

jean

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

A beautiful cat. And you went to such lengths to try to give him a better life. May your generosity be rewarded by the affection of those that remain.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your comments. I went outside and sat down with Gus and Bella, and Mantis, they climbed into my lap,and were a comfort to me. Gus especially is very loving, but Bella is too, so that is a good thing. A feral cat is usually never a lap cat, yet Gus tends to be one. The gold cat just comes around a little and is still pretty standoffish, but Higgins was fast getting over that, so maybe she or he will too.

Jean, I am sorry about your dogs, it always hurts to lose one.

Julia, he was really prettier than the photos show. How people can have animals and not take care of them amazes and disturbs me.

kay

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

We've never had cats because of allergies in the family but have had dogs in the past since we were kids. It always hurts to lose them no matter how long you are blessed to have them.

Sherry

• shive
    9 years ago

So sorry to read about poor Higgins. He reminds me of my Zuzu. Gus just wasn't interested in being a feral cat, was he? I'm glad to read Bella has come so far in a short time. Of my five feral friends, none of them of are really lap cats. Cowgirl likes to snuggle in the crook of my arm or next to my leg, but she's not that fond of sitting on my lap.

Debra

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry, Kay. What a horrible thing to have to go through. I hope your other adoptees treat you like a queen after all the pains you've taken to make them your own.

• Nancy
    9 years ago

I'm so very sorry Kay. It is so hard to lose a pet, even one you had so briefly. We attach so quickly. Just that it seems like such an unnecessary thing to happen, he looks like a healthy young cat, it shouldn't have happened. I'm glad you at least have the others safe & there to comfort you.

• celeste/NH
    9 years ago

After reading what happened and then seeing his beautiful face, I feel like weeping with you. He was so precious and was just starting to have the life he deserved, poor sweetie. I am so sorry and sad right along with you. He looks very much like my Cosmo who died suddenly 6 years ago, very handsome. I wish there was no such thing as feral cats and that all kitties had the love, comfort, shelter and full bellies that all of us here give our pets. No animal should ever be unwanted or unloved! You are so wonderful in taking care of them and they are all so cute. I love your photos of them and reports of how they're coming along so keep us posted!

Celeste

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much for your condolences.

I think that the fact that most of us are animal lovers and discuss our pets a bit is one of the things that make it my favorite forum by far. Celeste, Higgins had a gentleness that was very sweet...He looked all dressed up with his white boots and gloves. I knew you would empathize since you had recently lost a loved cat.

Nancy, You right. I had gotten very attached to Higgins very quickly.

I am having much more success than usual with the feral cats. You are not supposed to be able to tame them after they are a couple months old. I am cheating; I take them either roast beef or chicken that is cooked especially for the animals. My husband and I are vegans, but we have several elderly animals...14 to almost 16 years old, and they won't always eat enough so I keep some tempting treats in the freezer for them. I take a chunk of the meat outside (in a paper towel) and that is what got Bella and Higgins to come to me. Chicken was the food they first took from my hand. Bella now climbs all over me, seeks to be petted, and will raise her head up to touch my nose with hers. She licks my fingers to get any meat residue. I have even been able to pick her up and move her a few feet without seeming to distress her. And, she purrs for me now too. You are right, Debra, Gus gave up being feral totally. He rubs around my legs, leans against me and climbs into my lap.

This morning, the golden cat was here when I was giving the cats their chicken. I didn't notice at first, but tossed her some chicken and she came closer, so I fixed her some of the regular canned food and she ate it. Maybe I will be able to save these three. Debra, Bella followed me into the house today...she didn't stay, but she is really coming along well to have been so wild at first. She loves to play and will grab around my leg, grab for my hands, and today, she started giving me "love" bites. She is much smaller than any of the other cats, and I am really taken with her.

kay

• shive
    9 years ago

Bella looks so much like one of my favorite past pets, Jazzie, who was a flamepoint Siamese. The light orange markings, the body shape, and those sky blue eyes look exactly like Jazz at that age. Jazz was one of the smartest cats we ever had. She knew how to turn door knobs to open doors! And she was one of the most affectionate - an equal opportunity lap cat for both me and my husband. Bella and Gus are so lucky to have found you! I bet Goldie comes around eventually too!

Debra

• lascatx
    9 years ago

O_K, you don't know me. I don't think I've every been on this forum before, but saw the title floating in the recent activity box and had to look. I'm so sorry Higgins didn't make it. He was a handsome devil;but there may have been more than the broken leg going on that meant he wasn't strong enough to deal with that trauma, much less everything else.

I had a feral cat that adopted me and my other cat. I never expected him to come into my house, much less become an indoor cat and a marshmallow in my lap. What I didn't know was that he had a bad heart. His time with us was short, but special.

Best of luck with the remaining three. Bella actually reminds me of Val Jean. He was totally white, but the photo of Bella made me look twice. Again, good luck and thanks for helping them.

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Kay, I'm so sorry for your loss. The feral kittens are very lucky to have found such a beautiful garden with a caring and compassionate owner.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope Goldie does come around, Debra (haven't been able to come up with any other name for her/him) Goldie was here when I took the first two chihuahuas out this morning, but not when I fed even though I looked for her.

lascatx, welcome to the forum and thank you for your kind words. Anything is possible, and we won't ever know...but sedating a cat that has eaten is never good, and keeping them under so long after the traum couldn't be good either...may have been the heart.

Twixanddud, I am enjoying the cats so much it is silly. Thanks you.
    kay