Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Finally got some Weeding done

organic_kitten
11 years ago

The rains have caused the weeds to explode, and I have areas that really need some work. I spent about three hours just weeding today. There's a lot to do yet, but it was a good start. A couple of wheelbarrow loads fewer weeds are there now. The temp was decent, but the humidity was high 90s, so it was stifling to start with but better as the day went.

kay

Comments (9)

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

Good for you, Kay! It sure makes it easier if the soil is at least damp to pull those weeds out.

I still have one row to weed. Only trouble is, the weeded areas (especially the spurge) are bouncing right back. The only way I can weed is to sit in a lawn chair and move it down the row, one daylily at a time. I cannot kneel or bend over for very long. It took me a long time, and I've been procrastinating too much on that one last section. I'm going to enlist my DH this long weekend to attack the spurge again.

Nancy

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

I have a lot of weeds too Kay, I can not get on the knees no more or stoop down either, so I have a little garden cart they call it that I sit on and get the weeds out. I was out about 3 hrs one day last week and weeded half of one of the beds,and a couple days later went out and finished it up and then spread preeen out on it. Have another bed thats loaded with weeds, too, to tackle soon as I can..

Jean

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Those weeds have been especially bad this year. I did get my yard weeded and just hope lots of weeds don't start up again. I put out Preen too.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

My biggest flower bed, half of my front yard, dont haave very many weeds in it, mostly just around one side of it and in the middle.Wont take much over another 3 hrs to get most of that one, and my smaller bed is loaded with weeds, but they are the kind that pulls out pretty easy. I just have to wait till I get a cooler day to do it..

jean

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I had rested on my laurel's so long, some of the weeds were more like small trees...what with the digging and pulling, I whined much more than usual the next couple days. My right shoulder had been injected on Wednesday, so I may have done it no good, because I was icing it and carrying on. Still sore, but hope to get out some the next couple of days and get more area cleared. And the weeds have indeed been terrible this year.
    kay

kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Isn't it amazing how weeds thrive when other things won't. I'm waiting for it to rain to start weeding again. So much easier when the ground is wet. Been taking out dead scapes since it is one of the easiest chores to do LOL. Hopefully we get some rain again this week.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Julia, I sometimes believe they are on steroids the way they grow. We did get some rain, and sometime during the night, the power went off, and was still off this morning. So I went outside and weeded since I could do nothing else. Got the Munson bed totally weeded, and that makes me in much better shape than I was, Now if I can mange to mulch it, I will be in pretty good shape, but still have a lot more to weed.

kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Sometimes I wonder how we all ever keep up with our gardens. Lets face it, if anything is gonna thrive, it is certainly those pesky weeds.

• mizellie
    11 years ago

I have been to busy to weed, while transplanting. Then the much needed rains came and I will still be behind. Next week would be a good time for the rest of the transplanting BUT I have jury duty...maybe they won't want me...Ellie