Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inner leaves on fans dying

Posted by weeper 2b SK (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 17:24

I've had some problems with some of my daylilies this year, although for the most part they seem to have been hit hard earlier, and now many of them are greening up and growing new fans. One of my plants, however, Creature of the Night, has been looking pale green with lots of brown leaves all summer. Many of the fans are browning off, starting with the INSIDE leaves, rather than the outside. It did not bloom this year, nor did it send up scapes.

I dug it up today and the roots seem to be in good health. However, when I pull out the dead leaves from the center of each fan, they are rotten and moist at the bottoms..and there are little white weevil looking critters crawling in the mushyness(yuck!). The fans are not floppy nor are they wilting quickly the way I have seen plants with crown rot. What is this?!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inner leaves on fans dying

Im wondering if its crown rot, but larvae have moved in eating the residue.

Sounds rather disgusting .. Anyway to pull, bath in the chlorine solution and maybe just pot up for the winter.. Is creature of the night a dormant? I would assume so just becuase of your zone.

Looking at the list of potential bug problems for daylilies, I really dont see a common larvae that attacks any that I know of anyways.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here