Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Earlybird Cardinal Daylily?

The description of this daylily is glowing. Does it live up to its press clippings in a real garden i.e. early blooming and multiple reblooming?

Comments (12)

• Carole77
    10 years ago

The first bloom on my Earlybird Cardinal this year was 28th of June and I still have one scape with 5 buds on it. This last scape bloomed somewhat later than the other 7 scapes. Plant purchased in 2011.

This post was edited by Carole77 on Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 21:06

• Carole77
    10 years ago

Earlybird Cardinal on July 1st. No rain on that day.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

it sure is a pretty thing. I love it. its gorgeous with them rain drops on it. wish we get some rain here.

jean

• wildbirds
    10 years ago

Overall I'm happy with it here in Z5 (Canadian = USA Z4?) Early Bird Cardinal (Same plant as AHS registered: 'Endless Heart') seems to perform best as a 'young developing plant'. It develops new fans at a very fast rate & the 'mature clumps' do not seem to have as many scapes - thus blooms (And rebloom scapes) - as a newer division. Blooms + scapes/branching/buds are all quite acceptable here. From what I've been able to find out, it was bred & developed in a USA Z6 region thus may be somewhat compromised here in a cooler area with less intense sun etc. Additionally, EBC seldom shows RE scapes here if pods are put on it.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the information. As one who has only a single lonely "Stella" I appreciate the posts.

I am deciding between "Cardinal" and "Chicago Apache".

How do these varieties compare with respect to

- reblooming capabilities
    - visual impact from a distance

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Once Apricot Sparkles clumped up (very quickly), it did nothing. EBC has Apricot Sparkles as a parent, and I wonder if it does the same thing.

• wildbirds
    10 years ago

Apricot Sparkles does the same as Jersey Earlybird Cardinal here ... Once the clump 'matures' BOTH routine & rebloom scapes - thus bloom - drops off dramatically. Needs to be divided every year or so to maintain that 'youthful vigour'.

• ontnative
    9 years ago

Interesting. I grow both Apricot Sparkles and Earlybird Cardinal (aka Endless Heart). The first didn't bloom at all this year, and the second only a few blooms. I don't want plants that HAVE to be divided in order to bloom well.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

I posted about my early bird cardinal earlier in the week. Took the picture to show the new scapes. Personally i have never seen a prolific AND continuous bloomer. Take it for what it is , continuous blooms. Mine has been blooming since May and my pictures shows some of the scapes in mid august. I like it because its the only daylily i have that has flowers for 4-5 months. Mine has been my yard for at least 10 years.

Sherry

• gardens1
    9 years ago

Rouge 21,
    I haven't been on the daylily forum for some time now, but peaked in today and saw your question. I live in z5b, Grey county, Ontario (45 min s of Georgian Bay). Chicago Apache was one of my first daylilies. It is a stunner in bloom, a much darker red than Endless Heart (aka Early Bird Cardinal).It still had a couple of blooms in early September, and this is the first time in 6 or 7 yrs that it has done this. Endless Heart I have had for 3yrs. It is one of first few to open for me (as is CA), and it is still blooming. Not the heavy show that it was in late June and first half of July, but still a couple or few blooms every few days. It will continue going like this for me for several more weeks yet. Its colouring is not as dramatic as CA, and tends to go more pink red in intense heat and sun, but blooms longer. If you have room, get one of each, and enjoy each for their own unique characteristics.
    On a side not, I have had Apricot Sparkles for 4 yrs. Last year it had its first blooms for me (about 6). To say I was underimpressed was an understatement. This year, it has been in bloom (sporadically) since late June or first of July, and is still blooming. Still not great, but it has earned a reprieve for now, at least, from being removed from the gardens.
    One that has really impressed me, however, is Palace Garden Beauty, a Jack Carpenter intro. I acquired this last year as a double fan. It started blooming in June or early July this year, and finally had its last two blooms open about a week or ten days ago. It bloomed for two to two and a half months, and I'm talking bouquet type blooming, almost every day! Performance plus! Also, Shores of Time was purchased as a single fan in May of 2012. It did not bloom that year or last year, either. This year, it started blooming in the first two weeks of June, and finished blooming yesterday, from 8 or 9 scapes. Sure didn't like such a long wait, but it was worth it!

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do appreciate all your replies. Outstanding information.

I planted both "Chicago Apache" +"Early Cardinal" last season and each made it easily through this past trying winter but none flowered this year as I made the embarrassing mistake of not knowing that deer love daylilies :(.

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

For me Chicago Apache is a mid-late summer bloomer. It blooms well but has not rebloomed.
    My best rebloomer is Maleny Debutante [there is a post with a picture about it from perhaps July by me]. After the first couple of years when it only rebloomed once or twice, it has continuously rebloomed these past 2 years. It starts early June [my 2nd one to bloom] and will continue to frost. It is slow to increase so it doesn't need split. Even the rebloom stems have many branches. So it does not perform like a normal continuous rebloomer.
    Brad

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!