Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floota

Top ten favorites for 2012 Pop Poll

floota
11 years ago

I posted images of my top 10 favorites for this year's Pop Poll on my blog. The pictures are a bit larger than can be sown here. Hope you can visit and see - most are those I've raved about over and over.

Link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Top Ten Favorites for the 2012 Pop Poll

Comments (12)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Beautiful, Floota,

My top ten were totally different, but you would expect that since I am in district 4.
    kay

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Duh! District 14
    kay

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Your list is amazing--I have to say I love Margo Reed's hybrids, and J. Davisson's Mean Green, but all of them are fantastic. A beautiful, and very important--beautifully performing group. Avedon

• floota
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Juat to be fair, tonight I added a post about favorite full forms, since the Pop Poll list ended up being almost all unusual forms or spiders!

Lots of pics... hope you can visit. Link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite full forms for 2012

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

Beautiful daylilies and photos. I found plenty to add to my list.

• Edward_Kimball
    11 years ago

I sent in my list today. I have to say that there are more write in votes that I would have had if I were allowed.

'Creature of the Night' I got rid of this one because it was a flopper in my garden but it looked great this year in a neighbour's garden with adequate support.

'Elegant Candy' I find the individual blooms kinda boring but it does make a statement in a clump. It had some of the best branching and budcount in the garden.

'Flying Trapeze' This one has big beautiful blooms that you can see a long way away.

'Shores of Time' It took forever for this one to look good and this year it made the jump to great. Colour was vibrant and almost all of the blooms opened well.

'Victorian Lace' Pretty blooms that opened well but performance was marginal. It is in because I felt the need to have 5 off the ballot.

'Elegance of Summer' I have a lot of excellent full form yellow daylilies but this is the best. Every northern gardener should have this one.

'Yellow Monkey' BEST SPIDER EVER!!! This one was my most photographed daylily this year and it was the bud king with 41 buds on a scape.

'Belle of Ashwood' I have a lot of excellent full form pink daylilies but this is the best. Every northern gardener should have this one.

'Thieving Magpie' This one draws me to it every day it blooms. It is a striking flower.

'Purple Kaboom' This one is loud and proud. It was certainly named well. To me it looks like a Munson daylily on steroids.

• shive
    11 years ago

Edward - I'm surprised you parted with Creature of the Night. It always looked great in your photos. Here was my Popularity Poll ballot.

I voted for six of the ones listed: Bali Watercolor, Bela Lugosi, Bill Norris, El Desperado, Shores of Time and Victorian Lace.

My write-ins were Stealth Bomber, Willow Dean Smith, Texas Blue Eyes and Patricia Snider Memorial.

Debra

• dementieva
    11 years ago

These were my Zone 6 votes. First 5 were from the list, next 5 were write-in. I didn't vote for anything I don't have myself. A lot of these rust, but I still like them.

vote1: Malaysian Marketplace
    vote2: Red Chile Rendezvous
    vote3: Sergeant Major
    vote4: Skinwalker
    vote5: Thin Man
    vote6: Bold Move
    vote7: Fire Agate
    vote8: Tic Tac Toe
    vote9: Dark Reflection
    vote10: Ray Southworth

Nate

• nat4b
    11 years ago

I finally voted today, online. Mostly from the list and added 3 write-ins.
    But frankly, what's the point? If I never see my write-ins in the final list.

• floota
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nat,
    Usually all it takes is one or two other persons in your region to vote for the same cultivar. The first year I voted for 'Rose F. Kennedy' I was the only one in the region to vote for it. The next year, surprise, another person voted for it. And this year, finally, it's on the ballot!!

So don't give up. Continue voting for your write-ins.That is the best way to get newer cultivars on the ballot. Or encourage your RPD/ Pop Poll tabulator to consider "retiring" to the Regional Hall of Fame any that have stayed at the top of your Region's Pop Poll for several years to make way for new ones to have a chance to win. We were able to do that in Reg.3 a couple of years ago, and it helped.

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Thanks for your reply, Floota!
    The Region 1 list is actually quite updated I think. It's the write-ins I was wondering about.
    Say only you voted for a cultivar, as a write-in. Will it make a final result list as a cultivar with one vote? Because there are say 20 cv's with two or more votes, which I think are from the main list, and then there are dozens with only one vote, which I think are mainly write-ins. Is that how it works?
    In any case I don't see my write-ins listed in the final result for 2010 or 2011, so I don't expect to see them in this year final poll.
    So either my votes don't go through (I didn't see any "Submit" button), or I don't know what's going on :)

• floota
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Usually where I see the write ins is when the results are listed in our Regional Newsletter. They list the votes by club or non affiliate if an AHS member does not belong to a local club, and those results show all votes. Also, if you go to the Main AHS website, Click on Pop Poll and then look at the RESULTS portion, you can click on your Region and then the Top 5 pops up but then there is a place that says "view complete results" and it has the list going down to all those that got only 1 vote, See link below.
    I have asked for last year's results to be added, as for some reason they were never put up. Our webmaster, Tim Fehr, cannot do this and we are waiting for someone else to do this. Hopefully soon!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pop Poll Results Region 1