Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daylilypsych

OT -- In Memory of Whiskey.

Cindy zone 6a
11 years ago

As many of you know, I had the little sweet black cat named Whiskey. He passed away on July 20th. I found him curled up in his bed that morning. He didn't give me much of a warning, although he had been at the vet just three weeks prior that for his round of shots, and he had lost a pound. That isn't good for a little cat, plus he had breathing issues, which is why he needed the shots frequently. I spent the last day brushing him on the deck and he seemed very content. He did not eat those last two days, but did drink water, I was concerned that he was not eating. It was hot and I just didn't know what was going on. I did try to spoon feed him his favorite food, and he ate a few bites. He was very sweet and I am very sad. I buried him in the front gardens and made a little area for him.

I had him almost three years. He had been twice rescued. and this second time the vet suggested that I just put him to sleep because of all his issues, but I didn't want to do that and decided to take care of him. I rescued him the first time and found a home for him, but that lady was not able to care for him due to his medical issues, so I brought him to my house and got him the medical care he needed. Whiskey loved being in the gardens and he was a joy to have around.

He got along really well with the other cats and enjoyed people. He was super friendly. He liked to play with Babe, the little orange cat, that he took under his wing.

I just wish I had known, but I am glad that I had spent time with him. He was almost 10 years old. I know he truly enjoyed his last few years here with me, and I have to keep thinking about that, rather than be sad. Cindy

Comments (21)

• dementieva
    11 years ago

A good cat that was dealt a lousy hand. RIP Whiskey.

Nate

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

He was such a pretty little thing, and he had a lovely home after he found you. Such a nice way to finish his short life. So sorry...it brought tears to my eyes to see his pretty little face.

kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Oh Cindy. I bet you really cried. I am crying now reading this because I feel like I knew Whiskey thru your forum postings. But you gave him a very good life while he was with you and that is all any of us can do. It must have been his time to go. Yes, RIP Whiskey. You will be missed.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear the news but you did get to spend some great seasons with him and he couldn't have found a better home.

Julia

• nancykvb
    11 years ago

Oh Cindy, I am so sad for you. Glad you had some special time with him. He was such a pretty cat and you gave him the chance he needed to be loved. RIP Whiskey. Hugs to you Cindy.

Nancy VB

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Thank goodness Whiskey was able to spend the last years of his life with a person who loved him, and I'm sure he loved you. If he had to go, at least he died at home. I think that is a blessing, to be in the surroundings that he knew when the end came. Blessings on you, Cindy, for giving him a happy home. Avedon

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

You have some wonderful pictures of him. I especially like the garden bench shot. I know from experience how difficult it is to experience the last days of a pet, since it can't communicate just what is going on.

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

Gosh Cindy, I have the biggest lump in my throat and blurry eyes and I didn't even know him....I can't even imagine the grief you must be feeling. Just reading your tender words for him and seeing those beautiful pictures hurts my heart and yet...I feel so happy for Whiskey that he spent his last years in a place that brought him so much contentment. I know when I lost my most recent kitty I made a cat memorial garden for him and it has helped ease the pain. I planted catmint and other cat-friendly plants and the other cats go there to sit a spell
    amongst the little cat statues so it is a special place for them and myself.

I know Jean can understand how you are feeling because she lost her dear, sweet Ms. Blackie not too long ago. We all grow to love all the furbabies that we come to 'know' here on the forum and even though we didn't know Whiskey or Ms. Blackie personally, our hearts ache with you. So, so sorry.

Celeste

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

OH MY CINDY: I am so sorry to read this about WHISKEY. He was such a pretty kitty.I know just how you feel,too, as I felt the same when Miss BLACKIE passed away,and Not a day gos by that I dont think of her and miss her terribly.Cats become part of the family very fast.Bless you for giving WHiskey a good home and loving him as I know he must have loved you too.REST IN PEACE LITTLE WHISKEY.

JEAN

• judydu2
    11 years ago

The loss of a furry friend cuts deep. I hope your heart heals quickly.

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    11 years ago

So sorry for your loss, Cindy. He was a very lucky cat to have found such a great home with you.

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry, Cindy. Your memorial has me crying like a baby. It sure looks like your Whiskey had a great life, albeit too short -- a beautiful home with lots of outside places to explore, and a loving human to take care of him.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry, Cindy, it always hurts so much to lose a beloved pet. It sounds like his last days were peaceful, and you gave him a good life. I remember when I first read your posts about bringing him home, & how sweet he was. He will be missed.

• Cindy zone 6a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you , each one of you. Yes, I cried quite a bit, and still get teary eyed when I think about him, that is why I have to think about the positive things. He was the sweetest cat I have ever had. I remember the day when I had family over, and he of course jumped into the lap of my sister in law, ( who loves dogs ), and sneezed right in her face, then layed very comfortably in her lap. We all had a good laugh, and she said Whiskey made her like cats.
    Thank you , I do appreciate all your kind words.
    Cindy

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

so sorry for your loss

Here is a link that might be useful: Rainbow Bridge video

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

There are tears in my eyes as I read this. I'm so sorry for your loss. We love our furry companions so much and no matter how long they are with us they are gone too quickly. At least he was at home with you when he passed on. My prayers go out to you to help heal your broken heart. I'm sure you will see him again one day in a beautiful place where the daylilies are always in bloom...Maryl

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

Cindy: I'm sorry for your loss. Whiskey looks like he was a good cat with a lot of personality and stylish socks. I always think black cats make the best cats. I hope he's found a beautiful garden up in the sky! RIP. -rachel

• polymerous
    11 years ago

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Our pets are special to us, and I think that you enjoyed having him in the garden as much as he enjoyed being there. Your photos and commentary are a lovely tribute to him.

May God bless you for your kindness to him, and may He comfort you in your loss.

• anna_in_quebec
    11 years ago

Rescuing cats: multi sorrows, but multi joys and memories. I know so well. My thoughts are with you. Anna (from Cat Whisperer blog)

• shive
    11 years ago

So sorry to hear about Whiskey. I know he brightened many of your days. These last three years were good ones for him. He was so lucky to have a home with someone as caring as you. RIP Whiskey!

Debra

• houstmag
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about Whiskey I know how sad it is to lose afurry friend. I posting this with tears in my eyes as I had to put Little Boy to sleep today after a eight month battle with mega colon, his medication stopped working and the only other option was surgery to remove his colon, I just didn't want to put him through the possible complications of this type of surgery and the quality of his life after. He was a great garden helper and maybe he will meet up with Whiskey and they can compare gardening notes.
    Linda

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022