Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question About Transplanting Daylilies

Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 18:46

I have some daylilies that need to be moved, some I need to repot for awhile until I rework a bed and some in pots that need to be planted. Can I do this now or should I wait until it cools off? I am in east Texas - it is in the mid 90's and still hot but not bad. At least 94 doesnt seem bad to me after last summer of 105 daily for 3 months......I still have 3 blooming - Beautiful Edgings, Amber Spyglass and Ultraviolet Mood has a big bloom scape. Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question About Transplanting Daylilies

I'm in 9a in FL. Here on the beach, we seldom reach over 90 degrees. I start moving and planting in late Oct/early Nov. with the intention of ending by Thanksgiving. Plants really appreciate the cooler weather and it's much easier to keep them hydrated than it is with higher temps. If it is easy for you, maybe wait a month, pot up what you need to empty the bed. Finish the bed and let it set for a while and then replant. Good luck!!

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 19:34

I have about 20 lilies, about half of them small fans, that I need to pot up temporarily. Also forgot to mention.....I have bought some from the Lily Auction that will arrive probably in September - not sure whether to pot those up or put them right in the garden. Any suggestions on that? By Sept., it will probably be a good bit cooler so might be better to put them in the ground so the roots can grow....but not sure. Thanks for the advice!

o

I have 4 daylilies ordered that should arrive by September 28. Unless we are having a horrendous heat wave, they will be planted directly in the ground. Also, we will put up a shade cover, but only if we think it is absolutely necessary. Avedon

o

Pot them up and keep them in the shade until the weather cools.
Ed

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 23:32

Thanks, will do that. Dont want to take any chances!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here