Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

drying, shrivelled seed pods

marricgardens
10 years ago

This is only my second year hybridizing. The first time I had good luck. None of the pods shrivelled up. This time it seems like I'm losing one each day. You can always see it starting when you see the tip starting to turn brownish and then yellow. What causes this? A lot of the tets didn't even take. Marg

Comments (14)

• dementieva
    10 years ago

Are they all empty? Sometimes pods start to wither but still have a few good seeds inside.

Nate

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tonite I found another one. So far the ones I picked have been empty or had tiny seeds that looked like they were just starting. Marg

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

That is something that does happen, Marg. If it is too hot, tets are difficult to set. Has your year been hotter? Dryer?

There's a naughty red and black insect that likes to bite pods too. I think he's responsible for some of the brown spots on the pods. I've watched them kick seeds out of a cracked pod!

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The weather here has been strange. The nights go down to about 10C and daytime highs are 30+. I haven't noticed any red and black bugs tho, just lots of earwigs. Right now we sure could use some rain! Marg

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

Marg, those daytime temps are high enough that it could be the problem with your not being able to set tet seed. If you're dry too, well, hope for a break in the weather.

• swontgirl_z5a
    10 years ago

I have lost many of the pods I made as well Marg. I can't figure it out either. It has been cool some nights but not that bad. We had lots of rain early but it has been dry this month until last night. Too late for the pods I have lost though.
    I didn't do much pollinating this summer as I have been busy with my mother who is in the hospital 2 hours away from me and now I have lost about 2/3 of those. I guess I won't be planting too many seeds next summer. Oh well I could use the time to get my gardens organized again. They seem to be getting too crowded and I have many selects from last years to evaluate and get rid of.
    There's always an up side.
    Debbie

• Ed
    10 years ago

Sounds like what happens when you mix the ploidy of the cross. Are you sure you're not crossing dips with tets? Also, maybe the bees are beating you to the cross, and putting pollen from the wrong ploidy. Make your crosses just as the pollen ripens.
    Ed

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ed, I check the ploidy of the plants I'm going to use before I make the crosses so that's not the problem. We have had a lot of bees around this year so that might be part of the problem. I hadn't even thought about the bees. Thanks for the info. Marg

• uroboros5
    10 years ago

Same problem here. A lot of aborted pods. I don't know if it's worse than the previous years.

• signet_gw(6b)
    10 years ago

My bet goes to much too dry weather. We had a very wet spring for us. Then at the end of July we went into a month of no rain. Pods set but then aborted.plants have lost a lot of leaves here and what is left is sad looking and very stressed. We finally got some rain Tuesday night but not nearly what we need. Gardens are now being cut back so plants dont have to to support damaged and dying foliage. Fingers crossed we get some more rain soon.

Signet

• signet_gw(6b)
    10 years ago

My bet goes to much too dry weather. We had a very wet spring for us. Then at the end of July we went into a month of no rain. Pods set but then aborted.plants have lost a lot of leaves here and what is left is sad looking and very stressed. We finally got some rain Tuesday night but not nearly what we need. Gardens are now being cut back so plants dont have to to support damaged and dying foliage. Fingers crossed we get some more rain soon.

Signet

• signet_gw(6b)
    10 years ago

Signet

• signet_gw(6b)
    10 years ago

Bøy wonder why my message got posted 3 times?????

Signet

• Ed
    10 years ago

Usually, if the problem is dry weather, the scape will die along with all pods. If the scape and other pods on it are growing, then it's an incompatibility or fertility problem if a pod dies and is empty, or the seeds never develop right.
    Ed