Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Pictures from weeding Projects

organic_kitten
11 years ago

Weeding in the rain was fairly successful. Here is a shot of a small section of the area of the rose garden I was weeding. The little oaks were as thick as hair on a dog's back on the entire left section of the garden). I forgot to take a picture until I was 2/3 of the way through.

And take a look at the horribly weedy iris bed with volunteer zinnias: You will probably note that the daylilies in front of the iris bed were weeded and mulched as was the path and the daylily beds on either side of it. My priorities are straight.

I started weeding again, today, (in a light sprinkle again) and I managed to weed about 2/3 of the iris bed before it started lightening which, of course, sent me indoors.

Here is the rose garden after weeding.

You may be able to tell the oak trees are gone from the section of the rose garden in this photo. I still need to haul and spread much more mulch, but I wanted to cover the pathway first since it is much harder to remove the little oak tree weeds there...they generally have to be dug out in the pathway since they break off when you pull them. There are still some of them in front of the shed, and more will emerge in the rose garden...every stinking little acorn tries to be an oak tree, but I am pleased to have this section weeded and Preened.

So much more to do!

kay

Comments (10)

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Looking good. I have to remember the Preen when I get all done here. I have a big container of it in the garage.

I'm hoping for more rain this weekend to keep the ground soft.

Julia

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Wow, Kay you have sure done a LOT of work! It is all looking good!

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Julia...I have to get some more Preen.

Rita, I've done a lot, but there is so much more to do! But I'll get there.
    kay

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

it looks good KAY. I am not too b othered with oak trees sprouting. just some every once in a while that squirrels bring in and plant.Its little pine trees here.and just weeds, I have tons of weeds sprouted up and growing, but,I can not weed it now, much too hot for me out thereI will try to tackle it when it turns cooler weather.I do pull a couple hands full of taller weeds out while I am watering.

jean

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

I still have weeds in my upstairs Tall Bearded Iris bed. I started weeding there during some cooler days but never finished and now it is too hot for me to want to do it.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

It really looks great Kay, you've been working hard! I should be out there weeding, but so hot & muggy. DH started mowing so I just got back in from cleaning up my mess from yesterday where I was weeding. If it isn't raining later I may go out when it is cooler, just too nasty out there. Temperature isn't that bad, but the humidity is miserable.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jean, rita and Nancy.

I didn't go out at all today. We went to the gym early, then to breakfast then I went grocery shopping, and when I got home, it was thundering and threatening to storm (not a drop of rain though). I did some housework, but it is so humid that the heat along with it is killer. I will wait for it to break a bit (or another little rain) before I continue outside. And Nancy, I have a pile of weeds that I have got to pick up and get to the burn pie.
    kay

• Nancy
    11 years ago

We got 1 1/2" of rain yesterday, hurray, so I modeled myself after you & got some weeding done yesterday. Temps are down, but humidity is so high it was really nasty. I waited til after 6:00 & could only stay outside less than an hour cause I started feeling a bit funny. I thought we were going to rain again, it really clouded up, but no rain. Still looks cloudy this morning & rain is in the forecast today & tomorrow. July is usually our dry month, but we actually had more rain than usual, looks like August is going to be the same. We at least got enough rain to keep the drought from getting worse & actually my plants look pretty decent. Weeds definitely are lookin' healthy.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nancy, I know you know it, but that high humidity leads to a higher heat index, so it may have felt a whole lot hotter.

We are having storms and storm threats every day, although we haven't gotten the rain the last few days, it has been just to the north or south of us. (we have gotten the darkening and the thunder, however. I won't weed when it is thundering, even if it seems far off having no desire to have my name in the papers due to a miscalculation and visit from lightening.

We, too, have avoided the terrible drought of last year. We are in a moderate but not extreme drought category.

It will eventually be decent weather for gardening...maybe.

kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

The humidity is far worse than the actual temperature. At least to me. Yesterday was only about 90 and when the humidity is down, I don't even feel 90. But when it is extra high like yesterday, forget trying to get anything done. Today should be about the same here.