Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

Rust question

ruthz
11 years ago

In July I thought my Primal Scream had rust.

I thought about digging it up and soaking in a bleach solution, but was afraid it wouldn't survive with the heat near or in the 100's. So I did nothing.

Now all of the daylilies look fine with the exception of the ones that have completely died back.

If it was rust, does it just go away??

Comments (6)

• Ed
    11 years ago

Rust may just go away, if the plant is fairly resistant to the rust, but usually, especially if any daylily foliage stays green through the winter, some rust will over-winter. If you still have rust, it is lying dormant during the hot, dry summer and will make a re-appearance when the weather turns cooler and wetter.
    If you do see rust this fall, I would recommend cutting all the daylily foliage off, down to the ground just before a good cold front where the temperature will stay below freezing for several days. Then cross your fingers and wait to see if you get a rust out-break in the spring.
    Good luck, Ed

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

It is rather early for daylilies to have died back in zone 8, unless they are dormants. Mine are diminishing, but have not died back. I would think that your weather is still similar to ours, so far.

I've never seen rust kill a plant or cause it to completely die back. It may weaken them. Could it be crown rot?

Nancy

• ruthz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

najoba, Primal scream is the one I thought had rust in June or July, but it looks fine now. I'm wondering if it still has rust or maybe it just looked like rust.
    The ones that have disappeared are
    Bubble Yummin Mama died back but is growing back already
    Shores of Time (did the same last year but came back later)
    Victorian Lace
    Vintage Bordeaux
    Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow
    The last 3 didn't die back last year

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

Shores of Time is a dormant, isn't it?

I just completed my monthly rust survey this morning for just one of our beds, and I noticed that the rust is disappearing on the leaves for many. Only 2 got a "very rusty" score from me. All the beds have been cleaned of dead or dying leaves, with any yellow cut off. Four seem to be diminishing in size, so perhaps they may have some dormancy tendencies.

I used to have Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, but it vanished on me. I do not have Primal Scream, but I have the rest of those on your list. They are still green.

Victorian Lace did so very well in the country, but has not multiplied here and rarely blooms. It did not even bloom once this year. I blame it on its present location. Now that there is early morning sunlight on those back rows closest to the board fence we removed, I'm hoping for a better blooming season for them next year. I have already seen an improvement in bloom size and growth.

Fortunately for you, your daylilies are in a zone that is colder in the winter and not so humid. I would think they won't be so prone to rust.

One thing I think may be a small clue to the rust problem. My first daylilies were planted in awful clay soil along our road and surrounded by weeds and native grass. I never once watered them or fertilized them as I really wasn't interested in gardening at that time. Occasionally workers would cut them completely down with weed-eaters. Amazingly, they survived in spite of gross neglect and never once had a speck of rust on them while rust was having its heyday with my cherished new daylilies planted in beds behind the hill.

I would be interested to know if there are daylily gardeners in our southern zones who do not use chemical fertilizers and whether or not they have much of a rust problem.

Nancy

• ruthz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was weeding today and noticed that all the ones that died back are starting to come back out. yea!!
    Guess they just needed some cooler weather and rain.

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

I'm glad to hear that you didn't lose them, after all.

Nancy