Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southdakotadaylily

Help with crown rot

southdakotadaylily
16 years ago

I had ordered some daylilies, and three weeks ago some of them arrived. It was near 100 degrees everyday that week with very high humidity. (No one wanted to be outside that week). Since the daylilies had arrived, I had to plant them.

Some of the daylilies now have flopped over, the crown area is brown and mushy. (Sadly spacecoast sharptooth and spacecoast cranberry breeze).

Is there anything I can do, or are they dead?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated,

George

Comments (4)

• cavamarie
    16 years ago

They may well be dead. Generally I try NOT to get daylilies in the heat of the summer. If I absolutely have to, I put them in a pot and put them in the shade and keep watering to a minimum. They dont do very well being transplanted in such heat. Im not sure anything does. Maybe someone else can help you try and revive them.

• okbt
    16 years ago

Dig them up and trim back the crown to where it is firm,remove any mushy roots,dunk it in a 1 part bleach to 9 parts water solution or dust cuts with sulpher,let air dry(bring it in the house)for a day.If it is still firm,plant it in moist potting soil(barely moist).Don't water it until new growth emerges. I managed to save 3 out of 5 badly rotted plants this way.Good luck!

Betsy

• Ed
    16 years ago

Inspect the plants. If they are not growing, or if any growth is turning yellow, dig them up.
    Inspect the crowns; if there is no firm crown left, they're dead - discard them.
    Those with firm crowns, remove any soft tissue, trim foliage and soak in a 10% bleach solution for 30 minutes, then put out to dry well in cool area with good air circulation. Dust cut crowns with sulfur if you have it.
    After they have dried well, maybe 2-3 days, soak in 1/2 teaspoon SuperThrive/3 gal water for 30 minutes. Pot up in new or sterilized potting medium. Water in with the SuperThrive. Put in a cool shady spot and go easy on the watering until you get strong growth. Bring under cover if a strong storm threatens.
    Good luck,
    Ed

• beaufort-2006
    16 years ago

Hi George I have had a few problems with crown rot and have saved some but also have lost a few.I take the plant cut the crown back to a good area.dip the whole thing in a mix of bleach and water,I use about 1tbl spoon to 1gal of water, let dry pot the plant where you can keep an eye on it.It could take you a few months before you will know if thay will pull out of it.I have aprox.1000 daylilies most are seedlings and sometimes in the spring the frost heaves raise heck with them,sometimes if I cant work with a clump that I dug up for a few days or up to a week .I take the plant cut back the top to about 3 to 6 in. and put the plants in buckets ,fill the buckets with water up to but not over the crowns. just change water every few days, keep in cool area Ijust did this to about 200 seedlings and lost 0,I also have raised seedlings in water . email if you have any questions would be glad to help out. DICK

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting