Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

What are these tracks inside daylily leaves?

I know it is some kind of insect. I do have leaf miners on my columbines, but those don't seem to do anything really bad. (the leaf miners are in one bed, about 8 feet away from where this DL has been kept).

I thought I remember reading about some especially bad DL pest that made tracks like these. This is in a new plant, not yet in the garden. It did not have these when I bought it, but it's been sitting around the yard for a month or more waiting for me to get to it. As I was getting ready to plant it just now, I saw them. I do not want to contaminate my other DLs. Thanks for your advice.

Comments (9)

• mizellie
    11 years ago

I am no expert but they look like snail tracks to me...Ellie

• floota
    11 years ago

Yes, there is a daylily leaf miner and that is what you are seeing. I have posted the link from the AHS website dictionary below. Hope this helps!

I've seen this in many parts of the country and had it here this year. It is not fatal but unsightly on foliage. I plan to spray earlier next year, as the sprays I used this year were not very effective.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daylily Dictionary - leaf miner

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

I have had that happen sometimes on a leaf or two. Never enough for it to be any big deal. I guess you could cut off and bag those leaves.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the links. Very informative. It looks like all the leaves are affected. Being a new plant, there were only 2 fans to begin with, though it is in a gallon pot and has a large root system. I actually took it out of the pot, preparing to plant it, when I saw the tracks. So I have seen the roots and they look great: abundant.

Should I cut all the leaves off, if they all have the tracks? Cut them down, below where I can see the track end? I don't want to risk my other daylilies getting this. There are a lot of DLs in the bed where I wanted to put this. I thought of planting it in a different bed, but it doesn't really go well there.

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

We had quite a few plants last year that were attacked by leaf miners. They did not harm the plants, and since we had a vigorous spraying program this year, I didn't see any.

Nancy

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do I risk this spreading to my other dayliies, if I plant this one in a bed where other DL's are planted?

• Ed
    11 years ago

You probably already have leaf miners if this plant has been in our garden long. Treat your plants with a systemic insecticide just when they start growing in the spring and then again about 2-3 weeks later (or the stated effective period of the insecticide) to try to control them. Ed

• susansconi
    11 years ago

I think it could be either leafminers or snail/slug tracks like Mizellie posted. I've actually watched a slug leave trail marks that look just like it, but I've also had leafminers and found them right on the underside of leaves looking like yellow/tan pieces of rice(they look like they're inside the leaf) and look as if they're not moving-though they are, just slowly.

I'd check the underside of each leaf for leafminers. But also see if the marks can be wiped off-if the marks wipe off and/or you've seen any of them in the area, it's probably slugs or snails making the marks- and you can treat for snails and slugs. Otherwise, you'll know its probably leafminers. In which case, I'd just remove/destroy the leaves or you can spray, though I don't think the leafminers don't do too much damage except for the marks, and are also taken care of by other insects that eat them. I hope this helps, good luck!

• susansconi
    11 years ago

I think it could be either leafminers or snail/slug tracks like Mizellie posted. I've actually watched a slug leave trail marks that look just like it, but I've also had leafminers and found them right on the underside of leaves looking like yellow/tan pieces of rice(they look like they're inside the leaf) and look as if they're not moving-though they are, just slowly.

I'd check the underside of each leaf for leafminers. But also see if the marks can be wiped off-if the marks wipe off and/or you've seen any of them in the area, it's probably slugs or snails making the marks- and you can treat for snails and slugs. Otherwise, you'll know its probably leafminers. In which case, I'd just remove/destroy the leaves or you can spray, though I don't think the leafminers don't do too much damage except for the marks, and are also taken care of by other insects that eat them. I hope this helps, good luck!

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus