Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

OT: My dad's amazing veggie garden

celeste/NH
11 years ago

I know this is the daylily forum and I have hundreds of daylily photos still to show, but just for a moment I want to brag a little about my Dad. I was just at his house yesterday picking BAGS full of vegetables. I left with summer squash, cukes, green beans, lettuce, tomatoes, sugar snap peas and spinach. Dad's garden is so productive that he provides vegetables for all his children, grands and neighbors. He is 89 years of age and broke his hip just 7 months ago but you wouldn't know that if you saw his garden! He also grows asparagus, grapes, berries, rhubarb and herbs. Dad was a signmaker all his life and continued to work making signs into his early 80's but 'retired' to take care of Mom until she got so bad that I took her in 4 years ago. Dad recycles a lot of old signs to make raised beds for the garden so it isn't picture-perfect but his veggies are the most delicious ever!! He has had a garden every year for his entire adult life and vows to have a garden til he dies.

Now you see where my gardening passion comes from!

Celeste

Meet my Dad, Walter....

zucchini and summer squash....

some of the pole bean towers....

These next 3 are like a 'where's Waldo' picture....only it would be 'where's Walt'...haha

those are grapes growing on the arbor in the very back....

He even has tomatoes growing in tubs up on the deck. Notice the recycling again with the saplings he cut down. He turned them into tomato supports.

tomatoes, sugar-snap peas w/ asparagus in background....

with hubby, inspecting the crop...

bush beans and squash...

I feel bad 'showing him off' when he's all sweaty and dirty so here's a picture from last month. That's my hero!

{{gwi:943112}}

Comments (19)

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Hey, Celeste, I'll take your dad anytime, sweaty, dirty or clean. I think he is an absolutely amazing man--his garden is phenomenal. I don't think I have ever seen such huge veggies! Whenever you want to, you can send him down here LOL. We need help learning his gardening "secrets". Our garden is pretty much dead except for the eggplants, banana peppers, cukes, and cantaloupes. Love the picture of the two of you, it is wonderful. Avedon

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Oh Celeste! How in the world does he manage to take care of such a large garden? And everything looks great and very well tended. I am amazed at all the veggies grown. And not just afew of each. Very impressive. Honestly most peoiple 20 years younger couldn't do as well. No wonder you are so proud of him. And no wonder he has veggies for the entire family.

Thank you so very much for sharing dads amazing garden with us :-))

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

What a beautiful garden! And what a fine gardener. You are very lucky, as I'm sure you know, to have your dad in such great shape. My grandmother qwas just such a fine gardener.
    kay

• Nancy
    11 years ago

He obviously has the touch, what a lovely garden, looks like some of those plants are on steroids! You are so fortunate.

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

THANKS, Avedon, Rita and Kay!

I forgot to mention that he gardens 100% organically and everything is watered by HAND. Can you believe it? He goes around with a watering can or a pitcher and waters them individually because he no longer lives at the house (lives with one of my brothers) and the water is shut off.
    Dad spends the nightime at my brother's but is dropped off in the morning each day to work in the garden. He can't stand the winters because they are so long and he can't get out in the garden so he grew some tomatoes inside my brother's house in pots...LOL.
    Thanks again for your comments. It makes me happy that you all think he's awesome too!!!

Celeste

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nancy, I thank you also! I hate it when we cross-post on here...LOL

Celeste

• booberry85
    11 years ago

Kudos to your Dad! He must know some amazing gardening voodoo. The plants are HUGE and healthy! I started off vegetable gardening 10 years ago and just got into daylilies this year.

• polymerous
    11 years ago

I'm in awe of your dad! Not only is he still gardening (with an *enormous* productive garden!) at his age, but he's also out there only months after a broken hip?!! And *hand watering everything*?!!

Awesome!

May God bless him, and I pray that he gets his wish.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

oh my goodneess. you have a amazing dad,and he sure dont look to be 89 years old either.How far does he have to cary that water to hand water all them plants?Thats horrible to have to water all of that with a watering can.he has a amazing garden too.That gardening is what keeps him going and looking so young too. what a gorgeous looking garden.Hope some one checks on him during the day to make sure hes ok.
    Thank you for the great photos of a amazing garden and you dad, too.

jean

• dani_plus_2
    11 years ago

What an awesome, dude! I loved to garden with my Grandma at a very early age...that's where I get my green thumb from. Isn't it great to have that connection with him? Give him lots of "thanks" hugs...

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

A true gardener for sure.

Julia

• pdsavage
    11 years ago

What an amazing dad and very inspirational.
    I wanna be like that at his age.
    Nothing wrong with using old signs for raised bed.
    "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without" or mondern day "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle".

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Looks like a very productive garden. Growth is so rampant, one can hardly see what the raised beds are made of. Gardening forces one to be active--as do pets.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

I keep coming back and looking at this amazing garden made even more amazing by your dads age and the fact that he no longer actually lives at that house. I am really pleased with my veggies but your dads veggie garden is far better than mine.

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wanted to say 'THANK YOU' to all of you who took the time to look and comment. I know to treasure every moment that I am blessed to have my Dad. That is why I couldn't resist posting this and celebrating the great man he is and aways has been.
    Jean...Dad has a couple of rain barrels that are fairly close to the garden where he gets water from since the water is shut off. Unfortunately it hasn't rained much this summer so it isn't often he can water...but he does do it by hand. He walks with a slight limp from the hip fracture but maintains that garden all by himself, which is how he likes it. When Dad was in the nursing home recuperating he talked about having a garden again this year and we all were afraid he wouldn't be able to. He ordered seeds anyway! My husband did go over in the spring and rototilled the garden so that Dad could plant his seeds and did take him to the plant nursery for tomato plants. Other than tomatoes everything else is from seed.
    Every year his garden looks like this. I was just even more amazed this year considering he is still recuperating.

Thanks, RITA....I knew you especially would enjoy this post.

Celeste

• pat_tea
    11 years ago

I have to thank you too for sharing your dad and his garden. I will NEVER complain about having to drag my hose around AGAIN. And what wonderful children he has to take care of him in this season of his life and to allow him the pleasure of his garden. . . just wanted you to know your post was a blessing.

Patti

• shive
    11 years ago

Your dad has an amazing garden! Working it probably keeps him in good shape.

Debra

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Celeste, I am only 65 and couldn't keep up with your dads veggie garden. Yes, your dad has an amazing garden but even more important, your dad is an amazing person. Hats off to dad!

• terrene
    11 years ago

Wow, I am so glad I opened this thread. Your Dad's garden is amazing! Very beautiful and bountiful.

I've been gardening organically for 25 years and not sure my veggie garden ever looked like that. I would love to pick his brain for some of his gardening secrets. Clearly he has figured out how to deal with the assorted pests and wilts and such.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz