Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Final Appearances

mantis__oh
9 years ago

A few cultivars are still blooming strongly. Others have a bit of rebloom.

Everyone seems to have Indian Ripple, but for good reason. It is a reliable later bloomer that stands out in the garden:

Just as reliable and just as prominent is Lavender Stardust. Cannot imagine the later garden without it.

Women Seeking Men has been blooming a long time:

We Are the Champions is aptly named, as it trumpets itself:

Chicago Apache had this display earlier, but is still blooming:

Belle of Ashwood has some rebloom:

The old Madge Cayse:

Stone Beacon is still blooming strongly in the hospital garden. Big plant:

Edge of Your Seat has rebloom:

Bold Tiger makes a colorful spot:

Can't say enough good things about Earnest Yearwood. Strong greenish cast to flower.

Visitors preoccupied elsewhere:

This one was flighty:

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 20:07

Comments (12)

• jkayd_il5
    9 years ago

I really like Lavender Stardust. May have to add it to my future list.

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Lavender Stardust is one I used to grow long ago and I have no idea why I gave up on it. Women Seeking Men is looking great. It took a year off and didn't bloom here this year, which is strange considering it's been here for 5+ years.

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Very nice still blooming! Love Indian Ripple. I don't have it (yet), didn't realize it's a later bloomer. Lavender Stardust is very pretty. Chicago Apache looks great. I lost that one. Didn't come out after the drought sickness. I like Belle of Ashwood too.
    Great pics of butterflies! Especially like the pic with the orange flower (zinnia?)

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

I really like Lavender Stardust too.Indian ripple is pretty one.I don't have it.We Are the Champions is my favorite one of these, but,I sure do like that double, too.

jean

• shive
    9 years ago

Lovely photos of the butterflies! My butterfly bushes were nearly killed over the winter, and then didn't get enough water this summer. The pannicles of flowers are just over an inch long, and don't seem to be drawing many butterflies this time. Stone Beacon looks a cheerful, long blooming daylily. Indian Ripple makes a bright clump at the end of the season.

Debra

• statmam
    9 years ago

You have a way with butterflies. I don't have Indian Ripple yet, but it looks like a great candidate for the hot colors bed.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Good picture of Indian Ripple. I was most impressed with mine this year too. Stone Beacon goes on my yellow list. It sure is pretty. I grew Madge Cayse for years and it was, at the time, the latest daylily that bloomed in my garden outside of Smokey Mountain autumn. Another nice one. And of course the Butterflies always are invited into any garden scene.......Maryl

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Such beautiful, drool-worthy photos, Mantis. I especially love clump shots always and you have some lovely ones. Lavender Stardust is so pretty. I find that after going for so many eyed plants over the years, I now appreciate the solid colors much more than I used to. Your butterfly photos make me feel wistful because we have had many fewer butterflies ever since the bad tornadoes here in 2011. They are beautiful shots, and I appreciate your sharing them. I would not likely have the Zebra Swallowtail anyway, and I love seeing the photo. It has always made rare appearances in my yard, and frequent ones in my DIL's yard.
    kay

• celeste/NH
    9 years ago

All of these are very pretty so it's hard to pick favorites. I do especially love Indian Ripple and Lavender Stardust. My butterfly bushes did not come back after the winter. They are among a few casualties of last winter. I love your butterfly shots. I have multitudes of butterflies every summer and enjoy them so much, My Madge Cayse always blooms very late ( late August) and my Chicago Apache just opened it's first bloom today. Madge has never been a very vigorous plant here, nor does it have a good bud count. I see your Stone Beacon is impressive.... it's a great plant here as well.

Celeste

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Everyone seems to have lost buddleia this past winter, but the bush pictured (Black Knight) did survive. It was hard to find butterfly bushes at nurseries this spring, as they quickly sold out.

Stone Beacon is heavily budded with large flowers, in a shade of yellow that is strong, yet not garish. The plant is rather large though, so I have put it in the hospital garden. Yellows are under-appreciated in my experience. They are indeed a "beacon" in the garden.

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Sad isn't it that we waited so long for blooms to start and now they are dwindling. I'm seeing more rebloom than normal here.
    I lost 2 butterfly bushes both of them were a multicolor bloom that I planted by the patio area a couple of years ago. The one purple bush by the front porch survived.

WOMEN SEEKING MEN looks great. I've never gotten that one but maybe next year when space opens up.

Julia

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Mantis, They are all so nice. I especially like Lavender Stardust.
    Brad

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County